Sign in to follow this  
Sitar

Grimes Opening the Endless Summer Tour

Grimes, she's said things (which she later deleted) about people being misogynistic and things of that nature. I get the feeling she only topically knows the issues she opens her mouth about because she says things to counter them that reinforce certain points she's trying to refute.

In general I'm really not a fan of artists who try to be SJW and fall flat on their faces bc they inadvertently misconstrue their own ideas

Sounds like you're the one opening your mouth without knowing what you're talking about  :brows:

Sounds like you're the one opening your mouth without knowing what you're talking about  :brows:

nnn she's literally been dragged by her own fans so many times for dumb shit she's said about feminism

BzhmW.png

Just googled "Grimes feminism" and discovered Grimes blogged a kind of "epic manifesto" about the shabby treatment she has received as a female musician/celebrity, presumably at the hands of men (both in and out of the industry). 

Is that what people are talking about? 

This actually makes it doubly interesting that she's touring with LDR in light of all the Kim Gordon crap of late; however, it's always been about the possibility of a musical interaction between the two that excites me most. Maybe not on tour, but later.

Just googled "Grimes feminism" and discovered Grimes blogged a kind of "epic manifesto" about the shabby treatment she has received as a female musician/celebrity, presumably at the hands of men (both in and out of the industry). 

Is that what people are talking about? 

This actually makes it doubly interesting that she's touring with LDR in light of all the Kim Gordon crap of late; however, it's always been about the possibility of a musical interaction between the two that excites me most. Maybe not on tour, but later.

if that's what people here are complaining about/referring to when they say she calls out misogyny, they're ridiculous because this post is spot on and this is not her "not knowing what she's talking about" - having been in the industry for as long as she has & worked her way up as a female solo act, she knows EXACTLY what she's talking about and she's not making things up to contribute to a bigger problem.

for people to also disregard her, like dude above, because ~*Fans even called her out*~ is also nonsense considering most artists will occasionally say something that receives backlash from fans. I have yet to see an artist who doesn't fuck up here and there, being humans and all. hello, you're on a Lana forum.

Idek Grimes or even any song by her, but an artist isn't always defined by their political alignment or views on issues. Not everybody can be a sociology 101 textbook and tumblr-safe 24/7.

I wish every celeb that I like was far left as me, but rich str8 white people can live in a strange bubble

I was truly disappointed in Lana when her dumbass feminism comments came out, don't get me wrong. It's problematic when people with such media attention perpetuate the general "ugh feminism isn't good.....the word is scary" idea, but politics (even Lana's, even Grimes', even Britney when she votes Republican) are a personal matter for all of us and they don't need to be justified to mass media.

Idek Grimes or even any song by her, but an artist isn't always defined by their political alignment or views on issues. Not everybody can be a sociology 101 textbook and tumblr-safe 24/7.

I wish every celeb that I like was far left as me, but rich str8 white people can live in a strange bubble

I was truly disappointed in Lana when her dumbass feminism comments came out, don't get me wrong. It's problematic when people with such media attention perpetuate the general "ugh feminism isn't good.....the word is scary" idea, but politics (even Lana's, even Grimes', even Britney when she votes Republican) are a personal matter for all of us and they don't need to be justified to mass media.

To be fair Lana has been attacked by feminists for 3 years straight because she wrote a song like Video Games. She's been unfairly criticized before even mentioning anything related to feminism at all so I'm sure she was in defense mode when she answered that question.
In her NYT interview she explained better what I think she was trying to say about this whole thing:

"If my choice is to, I don’t know, be with a lot of men, or if I enjoy a really physical relationship, I don’t think that’s necessarily being anti-feminist. For me the argument of feminism never really should have come into the picture. Because I don’t know too much about the history of feminism, and so I’m not really a relevant person to bring into the conversation. Everything I was writing was so autobiographical, it could really only be a personal analysis.”

I just saw the show in Noblesville, IN, and Grimes was... meh. You couldn't hear a word of what she was singing until she started screaming bloody murder during her songs.

I just saw the show in Noblesville, IN, and Grimes was... meh. You couldn't hear a word of what she was singing until she started screaming bloody murder during her songs.

I was there too, and it was absolutely terrible. No offense to the fans of hers but no one around me really liked it either.

I have no clue who Grimes is, but, (and I'd be 99% sure someone like Lana would not do this), but there are headline artists out there

that will have their front house engineer oversee and make sure the sound out front is 'crappy' for opener acts for the main act to look better..

it happens, and maybe that happened with Grimes? anyway, i've never heard of her, so no idea what she is like as a singer..

-and Lana is a pretty honest person IMO, i highly doubt thats the case here.

^
Grimes has some instagrams from last night (one with that singer Hana?), and she doesn't seem pissed or down about the show.

and not understanding the words she sings is typical (for me at least) on Grimes studio work, but we really need an objective Grimes fan who went to that show (and previous ones) to comment. 

BTW, if you search for "Grimes razorstarzz" on Youtube you get razorstarzz's live retrospective on Grimes. If she sounded at least as good as those youtube performances, then she did fine, imo. And wow, what a pioneer. She doesn't even need a band!

another artist only mildly relevant on the internet. trash stank ass looking girl. actually disappointed that lana even said she was excited about touring with her

"It's 2011, and we should all be aware of exactly how fast technology is developing" - Lana Del Rey

another artist only mildly relevant on the internet. trash stank ass looking girl. actually disappointed that lana even said she was excited about touring with her

what's your damage heather? why are you trying to discredit her by saying she's "only mildly relevant on the internet" just because she's not your cup of tea? her stuff is incredibly innovative, not to mention she's totally changed the game by being a solo female artist who has (hundreds of times) gone on stage completely alone. she worked her way up from absolutely nothing - completely writes her own stuff, does her own artwork, directs her own videos... don't reduce her to some internet fad that will fizzle out in a few years when she's been extremely successful, developed a huge following & produced tons of great songs. her making it onto a lana del rey tour is a testament to that.

My friends and I personally LOVED seeing Grimes! We were the only ones in our section that seemed to be standing up (besides the pit, of course) and dancing. Everyone was staring at us, but we got over it. Grimes kept looking over at us and waving. 

animation1.gif

My friends and I personally LOVED seeing Grimes! We were the only ones in our section that seemed to be standing up (besides the pit, of course) and dancing. Everyone was staring at us, but we got over it. Grimes kept looking over at us and waving. 

I love your attitude.

Were you the people with the flowers on your head, and in section C? If so, ya'll were cute.