Sebastian

Honeymoon

Is there any chance that this  is fake?

But I got a re-tweeted message from @pattygrantlp "Big things coming soon". So I think that she'll do the same strategy as with UV having some singles out during the tour and album in the summer. So will she release HM and MTWBT as singles?

Feeling a Shades of Cool pt 2 tbh (not lyrically, but ~sonically~) 

Give me the quiet verses. Give me the belted out chorus. Tbh I'm thinking it'll be like a mix of Shades of Cool/Wait For Life/Money Power Glory. Or maybe it'll be something completely different. I don't know. hyped for it though

edit: actually I hope the first "Our Honeymoon" is quiet, the next louder and the last one belted like "youuu are unfixaaablee.." in SoC. OMG. I'm so excited to hear it now.  :deadbanana:

The lyrics are well inside in the usual LDR (overused) themes. Bad news for the critical assessment.

I would like it better without those blvd name droppings. Have those blvds names any significance?

"But I'm not scared, there's nothing to lose now that I've found you
We could cruise to the news
Pico blvd in you used little bullet car if we choose" - Escapism from what and where?

"We both know that it's not fashionable to love me" - she's never good enough for the men she's into. Fuck me, I just watched all the hd videos from her last show mesmerized by her beautiful face.

"But you don't go cause truly there's nobody for you but me"

"We both know the history of violence that surrounds you"

"There are guns that blaze around you"

"It's no wonder every man in town had neither fought nor found you" - the same bad, outcast man (no current or former boyfriends fits this image so must be some hidden desire of hers)

"Our honeymoon
Say you want me too
Say you want me too
Dark blue" - tbh the chorus is pretty weak and with little significance in the narrative of the song

"There are violets in your eyes" - Pls. someone explain to me the possible significance of this

"There are roses in between my thighs and fire that surrounds you" - beautiful imagery that describes the love between her and the bad boy

I'll wait for the whole song to make a judgement on it but this is not what I expected from HM (BTD and UV has better lyrics than this, I have a slim hope that maybe is fake)  

The lyrics to Honeymoon suggest a foreboding Roy Orbison/David Lynch menace in the future.

And totally in line with the lyrics/stories of the rest of her songs.

Somewhat like a later Roy Orbison "Love so beautiful"

Why would people think Honeymoon is suppose to mean happiness when she herself used the phrase film noir to represent what she was going for?

There never was a happy ending in any film noir classic that I can think of, was there?

(and her very stylized and I happen to like the artistry of the last video for Ultraviolence with the bride, is very telling too...

it is a journey of life

a road trip through life one where there may or may not be redemption (David Lynch always had redemption at the end of one of his films even if it was hard to see sometimes, but when one took the whole movie, there was always an OMG I get it moment, especially in Wild at heart and Mulholland Drive

(One of the greatest films of all time, as is the classic Sunset Blvd, Mulholland was like the other side of Sunset)

It wasn't me this time :creep:

I'm going to hold back my opinion till I've heard Honeymoon BC like someone else stated here before you can't really judge a track when you've only got the lyrics.Its all about delivery,emotional impact for the listener and production despite the lyrics - just look at Sad Girl or Cruel World for instance...

Though I do love the entire bridge on Honeymoon its so beautiful and a feast for the imagination -

:rock: There are violets in your eyes

There are guns that blaze around you

There are roses in between my thighs and fire that surrounds you

It's no wonder every man in town had neither fought nor found you

Everything you do is elusive to even your honey dew  :bliss:

tumblr_oizsprgz5s1ux9njjo1_400.gif?w=371                                                                

The lyrics are well inside in the usual LDR (overused) themes. Bad news for the critical assessment.

I would like it better without those blvd name droppings. Have those blvds names any significance?

"But I'm not scared, there's nothing to lose now that I've found you

We could cruise to the news

Pico blvd in you used little bullet car if we choose" - Escapism from what and where?

"We both know that it's not fashionable to love me" - she's never good enough for the men she's into. Fuck me, I just watched all the hd videos from her last show mesmerized by her beautiful face.

"But you don't go cause truly there's nobody for you but me"

"We both know the history of violence that surrounds you"

"There are guns that blaze around you"

"It's no wonder every man in town had neither fought nor found you" - the same bad, outcast man (no current or former boyfriends fits this image so must be some hidden desire of hers)

"Our honeymoon

Say you want me too

Say you want me too

Dark blue" - tbh the chorus is pretty weak and with little significance in the narrative of the song

"There are violets in your eyes" - Pls. someone explain to me the possible significance of this

"There are roses in between my thighs and fire that surrounds you" - beautiful imagery that describes the love between her and the bad boy

I'll wait for the whole song to make a judgement on it but this is not what I expected from HM (BTD and UV has better lyrics than this, I have a slim hope that maybe is fake)  

Violets in your eyes may be a reference to drugs. A tell tale sign in drug use is always the eyes, and Lana has previously mentioned violet pills. The violet in "his" eyes may be a reference to "his drug use, whoever he is. The roses in her thighs might reference American Beautiy.

I actually like the chorus a lot symbolically. It can be interpreted that her lover, even in the most blissful period of a relationship (the Honeymoon) is still not committed to her. She does not trust him and might have issues with her self esteem. Dark blue speaks volumes in the sense that it feels bleak and barren.

For me, it reminds me of a night sky. Similar to "Dreaming away your life". While you all might not agree, this is just what I feel when I read it. The idea of the dreaming makes me think of starry skies and the dreaming of it away makes me think of shooting stars fading away into the dark blue night - how it's not suppose to last forever and how it dies out so quickly.

One thing I am going to say about her lyrics as a whole is repetition is used to emphasise an idea or a message. She repeats things for a reason, and what it speaks to me in Honeymoon is the idea that she NEEDS reassurance to make it out.

Violets in your eyes may be a reference to drugs. A tell tale sign in drug use is always the eyes, and Lana has previously mentioned violet pills. The violet in "his" eyes may be a reference to "his drug use, whoever he is. The roses in her thighs might reference American Beautiy.

I actually like the chorus a lot symbolically. It can be interpreted that her lover, even in the most blissful period of a relationship (the Honeymoon) is still not committed to her. She does not trust him and might have issues with her self esteem. Dark blue speaks volumes in the sense that it feels bleak and barren.

For me, it reminds me of a night sky. Similar to "Dreaming away your life". While you all might not agree, this is just what I feel when I read it. The idea of the dreaming makes me think of starry skies and the dreaming of it away makes me think of shooting stars fading away into the dark blue night - how it's not suppose to last forever and how it dies out so quickly.

One thing I am going to say about her lyrics as a whole is repetition is used to emphasise an idea or a message. She repeats things for a reason, and what it speaks to me in Honeymoon is the idea that she NEEDS reassurance to make it out.

Your interpretations are better than the lyrics tbh. "Dark blue" it's too abstract (as a colour it can signify depression) and "Dreaming away you life" is not bad at all and can have some powerful meaning but in this context it feels cliched. But what's the point to repeat the theme of being in love with a violent guy who is on drugs and who is not into you and with whom you want to escape in some undefined place. As a narrative in the context of the album it may work but I hoped that she parted ways with her spaghetti western themes. These "bad" guys are getting boring, you have to be more specific at this stage about their badness because taking drugs and having guns is too thin as a narrative. In my view these lyrics are indefensible before the critics, but I still have a hope that they are fake

Your interpretations are better than the lyrics tbh. "Dark blue" it's too abstract (as a colour it can signify depression) and "Dreaming away you life" is not bad at all and can have some powerful meaning but in this context it feels cliched. But what's the point to repeat the theme of being in love with a violent guy who is on drugs and who is not into you and with whom you want to escape in some undefined place. As a narrative in the context of the album it may work but I hoped that she parted ways with her spaghetti western themes. These "bad" guys are getting boring, you have to be more specific at this stage about their badness because taking drugs and having guns is too thin as a narrative. In my view these lyrics are indefensible before the critics, but I still have a hope that they are fake

Well to be honest, Paradise and Ultraviolence were a bit of a mess in terms of cinematography. With the introduction of this book, hinting at the beginning of the Honeymoon era, we can maybe hope she's got a solid narrative for this one. If not, she's just hopelessly in love.

But from the sounds of this person, we can make the assumption that they're the same person as the person that cheated on Lana with several other women, and then we can assume some of these girls were Spanish. We know she's very iffy around Spanish girls and is very jealous ("I paint my nails black, dye my hair a darker shade of brown, cause you like your women Spanish, dark strong and proud") or just wants to be more like the girls he's lusting over. We can definitely assuming she is trying to reassure herself in Honeymoon but still feels they've not made it out.

I definitely know that when you're in love, you just want it to be perfect. Everything you don't like you just wish would go away and when it doesn't you keep wishing and dwelling. That's what she's doing. She's constantly dwelling on it.

I feel bad for her, but I do also hope she takes it up a level.

Honestly, it's funny how I went from absolutely loathing the lyrics to loving them almost completely (the chorus still ain't that great, but hey, that's Lana sometimes). I wrote a post a while back on another thread and I saved it on my computer somewhere and just found it again and realised I never posted it here, so in case anyone wants to read it, here's why I've come to love the Honeymoon lyrics after hearing it with the music so much… 

So, you know how in a few interviews Lana has said that in some of her songs (like West Coast and Video Games, for example) a portion of the song is based on reality while the other is focused around her inner fantasies... well, I think Honeymoon is another one of these songs. 

The verses seem to be about reality - her experiences with her lover have a slower instrumentation which could symbolise that reality isn't as grand or exciting as her fantasies. The instrumental intensifies into the chorus, where she sings about a 'honeymoon' with her lover, most likely what she envisions within her head, hence the more complex instrumentation. It's also quite fitting the 'dark blue' lines are right before the second verse kicks in, as it shows Lana sliding back into the reality that is life with her neglectful lover, as the lyric has a bit of a dark undertone.

The bridge is almost an amalgamation of reality and fantasy - describing realistic qualities of her lover through deep imagery. Lana then slips back into the chorus for the last time, which now has an even dreamier sound, then she starts singing the 'dreaming away your life' lines which indicates that she is finally acknowledging that she is torn between reality and the world inside her head. The scatting towards the end is a symbol of Lana getting lost within her dreams. She attempts to soften the problems she encounters with her lover by escaping to a world inside her mind, where they are both happy and untroubled, however, deep inside of herself she is aware that dreams do not last forever - she is 'dreaming AWAY' her life. Although she knows that her mindset is detrimental, she can't help but turn back to it every time she remembers that things are not as smooth with her boyfriend as she wishes and dreams about.  

TL;DR - Honeymoon isn't just a song about being hopelessly in love with a bad boy, it's much more than that - it's Lana explaining how she has created a world within her head she can escape to when no other coping mechanism is enabling her to get by, and the instrumentation combined with the lyrics clearly show this.

Anyway, that's just my theory... Please expand if you have anything to add

Honestly, it's funny how I went from absolutely loathing the lyrics to loving them almost completely (the chorus still ain't that great, but hey, that's Lana sometimes). I wrote a post a while back on another thread and I saved it on my computer somewhere and just found it again and realised I never posted it here, so in case anyone wants to read it, here's why I've come to love the Honeymoon lyrics after hearing it with the music so much… 

So, you know how in a few interviews Lana has said that in some of her songs (like West Coast and Video Games, for example) a portion of the song is based on reality while the other is focused around her inner fantasies... well, I think Honeymoon is another one of these songs. 

The verses seem to be about reality - her experiences with her lover have a slower instrumentation which could symbolise that reality isn't as grand or exciting as her fantasies. The instrumental intensifies into the chorus, where she sings about a 'honeymoon' with her lover, most likely what she envisions within her head, hence the more complex instrumentation. It's also quite fitting the 'dark blue' lines are right before the second verse kicks in, as it shows Lana sliding back into the reality that is life with her neglectful lover, as the lyric has a bit of a dark undertone.

The bridge is almost an amalgamation of reality and fantasy - describing realistic qualities of her lover through deep imagery. Lana then slips back into the chorus for the last time, which now has an even dreamier sound, then she starts singing the 'dreaming away your life' lines which indicates that she is finally acknowledging that she is torn between reality and the world inside her head. The scatting towards the end is a symbol of Lana getting lost within her dreams. She attempts to soften the problems she encounters with her lover by escaping to a world inside her mind, where they are both happy and untroubled, however, deep inside of herself she is aware that dreams do not last forever - she is 'dreaming AWAY' her life. Although she knows that her mindset is detrimental, she can't help but turn back to it every time she remembers that things are not as smooth with her boyfriend as she wishes and dreams about.  

TL;DR - Honeymoon isn't just a song about being hopelessly in love with a bad boy, it's much more than that - it's Lana explaining how she has created a world within her head she can escape to when no other coping mechanism is enabling her to get by, and the instrumentation combined with the lyrics clearly show this.

Anyway, that's just my theory... Please expand if you have anything to add

I love this, and you explained the song perfectly on how I look at the song from Lana's point of view.

tbh this is one of my favorite tracks of the album just because I can personally relate to them. "we both know it's not fashionable to love me." - I've never had a bf before my fiance and was confused at first why he liked me. everyone warned me of his violent past and his past drug addiction so the references to violence in the song remind me how I felt at the beginning of my relationship, that I wasn't scared, that it was love, and the only thing i was scared of was him realizing I wasn't that great of a person..but we see how that turned out.

but enough about me, i could go on for days about how Lana's lyrics relate to my life....and this is why I love Lana's music so much.

anyways, I wonder who she is singing about though.

~INSTA1.gif

post-5691-0-88111000-1431207494.jpg

post-5691-0-48312400-1431207697.jpg

Does anybody know if the above lyric book includes ALL lyrics from "Honeymoon" and "Ultraviolence"? I want to buy it but I've seen a couple reviews of it on YouTube and it doesn't seem to include all lyrics (some song titles appear to show only a paragraph). Is that correct? Lyrics from "Born to Die" and "Paradise" seem to be complete, but you get them with the album anyway. :O

If you care about animals, please watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5hGQDLprA8

My first relationship ended just recently, and it wasn't something either of us wanted, but it happened for reasons I won't explain~ but this song is now so hauntingly connected to the entire thing it's insane and now whenever I listen to this song, my heart breaks a little..........

Our honeymoon  :sadcore:  :sadcore3:

that wasn't necessary to share, but i wanted to because Honeymoon came out on my birthday (Sept18) and I'm listening to the song now and it's the first time I've heard it in a couple of months and my heart breaks

tumblr_mmkkluK6l81sp6362o1_500.png" />

Does anybody know if the above lyric book includes ALL lyrics from "Honeymoon" and "Ultraviolence"? I want to buy it but I've seen a couple reviews of it on YouTube and it doesn't seem to include all lyrics (some song titles appear to show only a paragraph). Is that correct? Lyrics from "Born to Die" and "Paradise" seem to be complete, but you get them with the album anyway. :O

It contains

-all of the lyrics from BTD with new images next to every song lyric

-1 verse per song for UV song, it's pretty much the same booklet that was sold with the album but some songs have different images this time

-and the honeymoon lyrics that were posted, it does not contain lyrics for every song, just lyrics from Honeymoon (song)

after that there's just empty pages titled Notes. This book it's selled as the Lana Del Rey Journal, it's meant more as a notebook than a lyric book so...

You should check on Youtube people showing the book really, so you can see it for yourself

tumblr_mthwqtumEQ1r7oj7fo1_250.giftumblr_mthwqtumEQ1r7oj7fo2_250.giftumblr_mthwqtumEQ1r7oj7fo4_250.gif

It contains

-all of the lyrics from BTD with new images next to every song lyric

-1 verse per song for UV song, it's pretty much the same booklet that was sold with the album but some songs have different images this time

-and the honeymoon lyrics that were posted, it does not contain lyrics for every song, just lyrics from Honeymoon (song)

after that there's just empty pages titled Notes. This book it's selled as the Lana Del Rey Journal, it's meant more as a notebook than a lyric book so...

You should check on Youtube people showing the book really, so you can see it for yourself

Thanks for clarifying. Hopefully we'll get some sort of complete lyric book in future.

If you care about animals, please watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5hGQDLprA8

I was listening to this live version last night

Spoiler

thanks @Dominikx4

and I think I finally understood what she's talking about in the second verse

We both know the history
Of violence that surrounds you
But I'm not scared, there's nothing to lose
Now that I've found you
We could cruise to the news, Pico Boulevard
In your little bullet car if we choose
Mr. Born to lose

Violence sorrounds you...                                          A dangerous man

there's nothing to lose now that I found you...        I don't care if this is the end

We could cruise to the news, Pico Boulevard...     We could die in an accident here on this street and make it to the news

In your little bullet car if we choose...                      by choice

Mr Born to lose                                                           Because you are fated to

So, another song of dying with her loved one and being fine with it. I think I've felt the same, about what she's talking about here. Feeling like you love someone so much that anything sounds fun if you are with them, even things like dying in a car crash (talk about not loving yourself enough). However, it's funny how although this is supposed to feel like a honeymoon, she's thinking about dying with her man there and then. She's not daydreaming about the future and all the things that could be for a married happy couple, but as she says in the outro (dreaming away your life), she knows they're just wasting life. She knows he's no good, this is nothing more than a doomed fantasy.

Spoiler

She did what? that.

Honeymoon is one those Lana songs that are still so eerie and strange to me, it always feels as she's only one who truly knows what she's singing about here. Well, it's actually true tho, isn't it? It was only her and that man in that car drive

I think the album overall is the same. Emotionally complex lyrics in meaning that don't objectively translate to the audience what they are really about. A meaning only the author knows. Honeymoon was indeed, as she herself said, a vanity project just for Lana. Music To Watch Boys To gives off the same feel with the lyrics, thank god she changes up the lyrics in the live versions for both of the songs haha, it makes the songs more easy to be understood. I still wonder why she decided to be so closed off with the lyrics in this album tho. I think maybe it was because she really put herself out there to be crucified by the public with the emotional rawness of Ultraviolence. I still remember how quickly she decided to put out Honeymoon, and the teasing with lyrics since the first shows of a tour that was meant to promote Ultraviolence. And let's not forget all the UV shows and perfomances that were cancelled. It was like she was ready to be done with the album the minute the press and the GP got their hands on UV.

tumblr_mthwqtumEQ1r7oj7fo1_250.giftumblr_mthwqtumEQ1r7oj7fo2_250.giftumblr_mthwqtumEQ1r7oj7fo4_250.gif