Twelve hours later and I'm finally done :crai: It's not that good but I put A LOT of work into it. All of the lyrics pages are made by scratch/with references from genius.com. The edits are collaged and were fucking hard to find. Credited everyone. I really hope you enjoy it. I'll post it tomorrow after I spell check.

So I was listening to more of Halsey's songs in order to defend her detractors in status posts when I had a sudden sense of déjà vu and made an interesting connection to something that turned up years ago in my Lana sleuthing. I'll post about it soon, but to make proper sense of it I need to know a couple things that maybe some of you can help me with:

1. Have any "Badlands" instrumentals leaked? If so, could someone PM them to me? (And if not, but if someone has them, can you still PM them to me? I won't do anything with them, I'm only interested in them for comparison purposes, and can delete them when I'm done.)

2. Is there a complete and accurate list of co-writer/producer credits for "Badlands"? Wikipedia is definitely missing some information.

3. When was Halsey signed?

4. What is her relationship to TaP mgmt (Ben's company) and when did it start?

:benmawson:

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.

So I was listening to more of Halsey's songs in order to defend her detractors in status posts when I had a sudden sense of déjà vu and made an interesting connection to something that turned up years ago in my Lana sleuthing. I'll post about it soon, but to make proper sense of it I need to know a couple things that maybe some of you can help me with:

1. Have any "Badlands" instrumentals leaked? If so, could someone PM them to me? (And if not, but if someone has them, can you still PM them to me? I won't do anything with them, I'm only interested in them for comparison purposes, and can delete them when I'm done.)

2. Is there a complete and accurate list of co-writer/producer credits for "Badlands"?

3. When was Halsey signed?

4. What is her relationship to TaP mgmt (Ben's company) and when did it start?

http://cinemaindie.tumblr.com/post/127683585086

lABVyGE.png

I thought a Halsey track sounded kinda Lana-ish before Halsey even sang it or was even a thing. #HipsterAlert

No seriously.

Following my own advice to "Keep an Eye on the 'Industry Players'", I follow a lot of music industry accounts on Soundcloud, including one for TaP mgmt, Lana's manager Ben Mawson's company that manages Lana as well as OTTR, TIWMUG, and G&M co-writer Tim Larcombe. So a couple years ago a set labeled "Tim Larcombe" popped up on there which included two instrumental tracks labeled "BT I" and "BT II", "BT" presumably standing for "backing track", which sounded vaguely Lana-esque so I saved them in case they ended up being used on an album. (I'm not exactly sure when they appeared. This archive.org snapshot indicates they were uploaded in October 2012, but I'm not sure they were public that early. I saved them in September 2013, but I know I found them awhile before I got around to ripping them.) Anyway, fast forward to this morning when I was listening to Halsey in order to defend her detractors from a more educated position when I listened to "Strange Love" and experienced some major déjà vu. I recognized the backing track instantly as "BT I". Sure enough, Tim Larcombe is indeed the producer of "Strange Love":
KF8vXL7.png

Listen to a copy of "BT I" (click on the Soundcloud link below it if the embedded stream doesn't work) that I uploaded as a private track in April 2014 to show to @@Monicker, who deemed it "pretty uninspired":

NhkXWNx.png

I don't think Halsey is a complete ripoff of Lana; she's extremely derivative of her contemporaries in general, one of them being Lana. Her voice doesn't sound at all like Lana. Only a couple songs sound like Lana ripoffs ("New Americana" being the most blatant well-documented example). But she occupies a lyrical universe that overlaps a lot with Lana's. However, being a documented fan of Lana with a song title the same as one of Lana's with a backing track possibly even written for Lana by a producer that worked with Lana and has the same management as Lana... I know some of that's probably coincidence, but it's all just a little too much. And it's easy to imagine her going, "OMG, you worked with Lana? OMG, Can I work with you? OMG, you've got a backing track you wrote for Lana that she didn't use? OMG, can I use it? Great! I'll name it after one of her unreleased tracks!"

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.

I thought a Halsey track sounded kinda Lana-ish before Halsey even sang it or was even a thing. #HipsterAlert

No seriously.

Following my own advice to "Keep an Eye on the 'Industry Players'", I follow a lot of music industry accounts on Soundcloud, including one for TaP mgmt, Lana's manager Ben Mawson's company that manages Lana as well as OTTR, TIWMUG, and G&M co-writer Tim Larcombe. So a couple years ago a set labeled "Tim Larcombe" popped up on there which included two instrumental tracks labeled "BT I" and "BT II", "BT" presumably standing for "backing track", which sounded vaguely Lana-esque so I saved them in case they ended up being used on an album. (I'm not exactly sure when they appeared. This archive.org snapshot indicates they were uploaded in October 2012, but I'm not sure they were public that early. I saved them in September 2013, but I know I found them awhile before I got around to ripping them.) Anyway, fast forward to this morning when I was listening to Halsey in order to defend her detractors from a more educated position when I listened to "Strange Love" and experienced some major déjà vu. I recognized the backing track instantly as "BT I". Sure enough, Tim Larcombe is indeed the producer of "Strange Love":

KF8vXL7.png

Listen to a copy of "BT I" (click on the Soundcloud link below it if the embedded stream doesn't work) that I uploaded as a private track in April 2014 to show to @@Monicker, who deemed it "pretty uninspired":

NhkXWNx.png

I don't think Halsey is a complete ripoff of Lana; she's extremely derivative of her contemporaries in general, one of them being Lana. Her voice doesn't sound at all like Lana. Only a couple songs sound like Lana ripoffs ("New Americana" being the most blatant well-documented example). But she occupies a lyrical universe that overlaps a lot with Lana's. However, being a documented fan of Lana with a song title the same as one of Lana's with a backing track possibly even written for Lana by a producer that worked with Lana and has the same management as Lana... I know some of that's probably coincidence, but it's all just a little too much. And it's easy to imagine her going, "OMG, you worked with Lana? OMG, Can I work with you? OMG, you've got a backing track you wrote for Lana that she didn't use? OMG, can I use it? Great! I'll name it after one of her unreleased tracks!"

OMG