Fusel

SONG PREMIERE: "Honeymoon"

BTW, can someone explain to me what 'elusive' means? I tried to look it up in a dictionary, but somehow the translation didn't really make any sense  :(

Hard to catch/hard to understand/hard to relate to. In the context of the song, it means something like confusing or difficult to understand.

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png

So you know how Lana has said that in a lot of her songs (like West Coast and Video Games, for example) one portion of the song is based on reality and the other is focused around her inner fantasies… well, I think Honeymoon is another one of those songs...

The verses seem to be about reality - her experiences with her lover have a slower instrumentation which could symbolise how reality isn't as grand or exciting as her fantasies. The instrumental intensifies into the chorus, where she sings about a 'honeymoon' with her lover, most likely what she envisions within her head, hence the more complex instrumentation. It's quite fitting the 'dark blue' lines are right before the second verse kicks in, as it shows Lana sliding back into the reality that is life with her neglectful lover.

The bridge is almost an amalgamation of reality and fantasy - describing realistic qualities of her lover through deep imagery. Lana then slips back into the chorus again for the last time, which has a very dreamy sound, then starts singing the 'dreaming away your life' lines, which to me, indicates that she is finally acknowledging that she is torn between reality and the world inside her head. The scatting towards the end is a symbol of Lana getting lost within her dreams. She attempts to soften the problems she encounters with her lover by escaping to a world of her own inside her mind, where they are both happy and untroubled, however, deep inside of herself she is aware that dreams do not last forever - she is 'dreaming AWAY' her life. Although she knows that her mindset is detrimental, she can't help but turn back to it every time she remembers that things are not as smooth with her boyfriend as she wishes and dreams about. Honeymoon isn't just a song about being hopelessly in love with a bad boy, it's much more than that - it's Lana explaining how she has created a world within her head she can escape to when no other coping mechanism is enabling her to get by.

Anyway, that's just a quick explanation of the summary I've come to after having Honeymoon on repeat non-stop since it came out. Please expand on this if you have any of your own ideas :)

BTW, can someone explain to me what 'elusive' means? I tried to look it up in a dictionary, but somehow the translation didn't really make any sense :(

it means you are the elusive chanteuse

I don't know

That would mean say, in West Coast, Barrie is the one she is taking a break from

and the other stuff is in the other (whether she is talking about him getting well, or her well being)

which would mean Barrie is coming back in the future if things go right???

I don't know.

Though they seem to be perfect for each other, especially musically.

Not that it is any of my business.

Lana is our modern day Edith Piaf. Totally unique. a mixture of Brian WIlson Roy Orbison, Leonard Cohen, Gram Parsons, Elton & Bernie. Born to Die/Paradise is comparable to Elton's Captain Fantastic. All the records need to be listened whole. Waiting for a box set vinyl of all 400 songs not on any lp

Best analysis of the song I've read, compliments of Lana's father:

Lana Del Rey, Queen of Los Angeles, Cuts Deep Into L.A. Noir http://huff.to/1MggHjo  via @HuffPostEnt

That was a brilliant read, the writer completely understands Lana and its so great to see someone write something that great about her work, it can be so frustrating when you see articles published by people who don't understand her writing etc so the just write her off.

I'm sort of having a thought that the meaning of 'Honeymoon' is sort of like the end of the relationship, from reading that article. Like she knows this relationship isn't going to work and that will be the end of it. Maybe like the Honeymoon is the best time day etc she has spent with her lover, but it will all end after. 

qsVmBMd.png

Yeah, it finally grew on me!!! At first I hit rock bottom with disappointment, because I was gorging it separately with stellar expectations, but when listening it together with her other songs from different eras, mixed in mish-mash of every genre of hers, focused on my work today, I just felt how it pours in my cells like divine, heavenly nectar. I don't give a fuck if she repeats herself (bridge), she grew so mature, complex and oceanic deep. That orchestral background, although latent and subtle, is so layered, complex and spacious as cosmos, and her meandering voice is dope. This piece is timeless and she is metamorphosing in jazz goddess. It is so extraterrestrial and exotic and angelic and celestial that I am melting in a pool of honey and ectoplasm. It is boring in irresistable, most intriguing way. I am not afraid about the album anymore. Yeah. Every fucking song of hers seduces me at the end, sooner or later. She's a bloody sorceress.

tumblr_nbg6blFb0d1trud11o2_250.gif1e5408c919ff19d8ea5d8b3240bf67ed.jpggiphy.gif