sweetie

Promo Single: "Terrence Loves You"

OK, just listened again, and again to TLY, and I have to say, its a sad, slow, but a beautiful song. I love it.

I really do. Its probably the best of these 3 we have heard, and better than alot of her previous songs from unreleased stuff.

it kinda reminds me of Cruel world abit, as well, as other time period artists song, can't put my finger on it.. but

excellent job Lana. i knew this one would grow fast on me..could tell right away, just needed a bit more time.. :smokes3:

Yet, so much hate on the internet from so many people on this song and HBTB to.. Oh well, we like what we like.

And all these people saying she looks like Caitlyn Jenner,, seriously? people are demented. Lana may not be a beauty

queen, but she sure as fuck doesn't look like that. ( I mean i like Caitylin and respect her, but transgender Lana? i think not.)

Should stop looking at stuff on the internet. People are strange.

I also like HBTB alot more now than a week ago too.. both great songs IMHO (for me anyway),

and very different from one another

super cool vibe, and love them.  :blush: 

Not caring for HM yet tho.. don't think will grow on me.. not there for that one..

I agree with most of this minus the not feeling Honeymoon. I love Honeymoon lol!!! It's awesome. It did take some time for TLY to grow on me too. But seriously I'm so over the Caitlyn Jenner mess. It is old and dumb. Whack as fuck, people grow up and move on. If you don't like her "Lana" then don't look or listen.

I believe TLY is freaking near perfect. Idk what I think is missing, and I can't put my finger on it- is it the pace or how long it takes to build up, and when it does build up on the end of the bridge-(GROUND CONTROL TO MAJOR TOM, ) it's pretty anti-climatic. Like, she gives you a taste, just a taste, of how over the top she can take it, but immediately stops it and brings it right back - to the low , smooth , slow paced- (well I lost myself,.....) but who the hell am I to question it. It DOES do it for me. I love it. It leaves me wanting more, in a totally good way.

Anyway, everything else on the song is fucking amazing. Again, her use of "dead air" or space, whatever the wording is, from the beginning lyrics.

The subtle pauses she takes in the third verse "but Hollywood legends, will never ...grow....old"

Then after the next verse, how she speaks "well, it...."

those are the little things I love about Lana. What makes me listen to her. I find new things everytime I give it a another listen. Her songs are ALIVE!

Yes, all really great artists know how to "let it simmer", as Michael Jackson said on 'this is it' docu..few years back..

The missing instruments, or slightly longer pauses, one less cymbal crash, one less guitar chord, makes "less is better"..

I never liked listening to singers, whom have a need to fill every mini second of space in a song with their voice.. :)

https://www.reddit.com/r/lanadelrey/comments/3idxog/why_the_title_terrence_loves_you/

I think it's 100% a nod to David Bowie's half-brother, Terry Burns, in addition to the obvious reference from the Bowie song, "Space Oddity".

Bowie's brother Terry (Terrence) was diagnosed with schizophrenia in his 20s. Terry had been hospitalized at the Cane Hill mental asylum for many years. On January 1985, a snowy morning, he left the hospital grounds, waited at the nearby train station, and laid his head down on the nearby train tracks, facing away from the train. Last time he did this, he got up before the train got too close. This last time, he did not. He was 48.

Bowie was very close to Terry his whole life and looked up to him as a child. As Terry's mental condition deteriorated, his relationship with Bowie became distant. Bowie visited Terry in 1982 at the mental asylum. After this visit, Terry became fixated on Bowie and convinced that Bowie would return and "rescue" him one day. Bowie didn't return to see him again before Terry's death.

In "Space Oddity," Bowie sings as Major Tom:

Though I'm past

One hundred thousand miles

I'm feeling very still

And I think my spaceship knows which way to go

Tell my wife I love her very much

And then as Ground Control:

(She knows)

Ground Control to Major Tom

Your circuit's dead

There's something wrong

Can you hear me, Major Tom?

Can you....

So, it seems Lana's title is absolutely what was said to the wife in this moment of the song - "Terrence Loves You" - if Major Tom is in fact Bowie's reference to Terrence. Obviously, Lana cites the lyrics "Ground Control to Major Tom" from Bowie's song so it's not too far fetched that she's referencing Bowie's brother in the title.

It's assumed that many songs in Bowie's catalog were about his older brother Terry, including "All the Madmen" and "The Man Who Sold the World." Terry has been attributed to introducing is younger brother to everything from Tibetan Buddhism to jazz and rock to Beat poetry (by way of Kerouac and Burroughs) to drug use.

Major Tom is also argued to be an analogy for drug abuse. In Bowie's song "Ashes to Ashes" this argument finds further backing.

I think perhaps she's intertwined her own personal story in with someone else's. Terrence may represent someone from the past to her, perhaps a former lover with mental illness or drug addiction. (Barry? She has alluded her relationship with him was demolished through "tons of insecurity and depression.")

Watch what you say to me, Careful who you're talkin' to.

Getting a Bowie set after he died doesn't make you a fan though :hooker:

Okay, I don't know who you are so I assume you don't know me unless you stalk my posts around the forum then well that's on you..

But I've been a fan of Bowie way long before he died. A long time,years. He's my favorite artist of all time and there's people on here who knew I loved him before he died. I only changed my signature and avatar to him as a memoriam and my signature and avatar hadn't been changed in a while...

So, next time instead of making straight assumptions about me maybe you should ask questions or are you naturally ignorant?

Okay, I don't know who you are so I assume you don't know me unless you stalk my posts around the forum then well that's on you..

But I've been a fan of Bowie way long before he died. A long time,years. He's my favorite artist of all time and there's people on here who knew I loved him before he died. I only changed my signature and avatar to him as a memoriam and my signature and avatar hadn't been changed in a while...

So, next time instead of making straight assumptions about me maybe you should ask questions or are you naturally ignorant?

And maybe before you snap out next time, you should consider that I'm joking ... since the emoticon :P

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!