Sign in to follow this  
Lad

Salvatore

Yeah, this line made me think of "the little death" too. I think this lyric is intentional double entendre for, um, manual stimulation. Or in the parlance of this forum, he slayed her pussy. ;)

"Soft ice cream" may be innuendo as well.

Fun fact: Lizzy's 2008 Mercury Lounge performance was as an opener for Moby's side project The Little Death, and is the basis for her claim to have shared the stage with Moby. The drummer for The Little Death was also her drummer in Lizzy Grant and the Phenomena.

I'm very glad I'm not the only one to think of that!!! And yeah, I was afraid to be this bold, but I absolutely agree and it makes complete sense. I feel like Lana is more and more losing her chill regarding her innuendos, but that may be a figment of my thirsty imagination. I didn't knew that, thank you so much for all your phenomenal work, early shows section is extremely impressive

ZKcaooE.png

This is definitely my favorite song out of the songs that we hadn't had yet. The atmosphere is wonderfully dark and dreamy, and the melody is hypnotic ! Too bad about the hit and miss lyrics. But some ligns like "Dying to the hands of a foreign man, happily" is so ... I can't describe it, it's so simple yet so evocative !

MDM-Lanaboards-Banner.jpg

I'm really blown away by how sultry this album is and uh, being French, the line "dying by the hand of a foreign man happily" remind me of the expression "la petite mort" which means "the small death" and stands for "orgasm".

Yeah, this line made me think of "the little death" too. I think this lyric is intentional double entendre for, um, manual stimulation. Or in the parlance of this forum, he slayed her pussy. ;)

"Soft ice cream" may be innuendo as well.

Total agreement here. Thank god I'm not the only one with a dirty mind lol. :pussypower:

THIS. And there was also an interview Lana did where she said something about Francesco not letting her go to parties and making her stay home or something, and people reckon he is very controlling over Lana, and I think it's partly true judging by her comments about him in an interview she did.

He said that, and it was a translated interview -- he said that with both of them being famous, they had to stay at home most of the time and not go to parties. But according to her previous interviews, home is where she wants to be. I remember one interview where she said she would never leave her house if she didn't have to. ;) 

I love this song so, so, so much! She has nice Italian pronunciation, too -- and while I love her Spanish additions to songs, I think I like the Italian better. So soft and dreamy. What a romantic song. This is the kind of moody, dreamlike song I'd love to play for a first-dance at my wedding. It's so gorgeous. I think this album is going to be above and beyond anything we've heard yet. 

Anyone know what she's saying before "tangerine dreams"??

Also, does anyone know what the man sampled in the beginning says, or what kind of sample it is??

Quoting from http://genius.com/Lana-del-rey-salvatore-lyrics:

I’m pretty sure, “I’m in regine” should be “Medellín,” or “My Medellín Tangerine dreams.” (It’s most commonly pronounced meta-gene by english speakers) and I think it’s in reference to the Tangerina Cream ice cream shop / confectionary (soft ice cream…)

Quoting from http://genius.com/La...alvatore-lyrics:

I’m pretty sure, “I’m in regine” should be “Medellín,” or “My Medellín Tangerine dreams.” (It’s most commonly pronounced meta-gene by english speakers) and I think it’s in reference to the Tangerina Cream ice cream shop / confectionary (soft ice cream…)

I hear "Meta-gene" more than "in regine" that's for sure. I have never heard of Medellín before, but it's in Colombia? So there is an ice cream store in Medellín called Tangerina and Lana is referencing that? Wtf? Is there something I'm missing or...

Anyone notice-

In the classic John Lennon Beatles song "Strawberry Fields forever" there is a fake ending, silence, then a little more music comes back for a few seconds

that music is the very start of Salvatore.

One could listen to the two back to back and they would seque into each other.

Soft ice cream reminds me of licking an ice cream cone on a hot summer NYC day (and one can picture it)

also, Tangerine Dream is a music group

Lana is our modern day Edith Piaf. Totally unique. a mixture of Brian WIlson Roy Orbison, Leonard Cohen, Gram Parsons, Elton & Bernie. Born to Die/Paradise is comparable to Elton's Captain Fantastic. All the records need to be listened whole. Waiting for a box set vinyl of all 400 songs not on any lp

adding to the cacciatore / calciatore discussion : pretty sure it's calciatore.

firstly, because if the song is indeed based on her holiday in Italy with Francesco, the calciatore reference would make sense since they were in Portofino, a fashionable beach town that's a notable footballer hotspot, as any Italian knows. google 'calciatore Portofino' and you'll get virtually endless results.

secondly, it makes sense in the context of describing the 'downtown scenes' - footballers & limousines (the town's glamour, basically), then she meets her lover, then the ice cream reference. '(chicken) cacciatore' followed by 'limousine' would be a complete non sequitur.

adding to the cacciatore / calciatore discussion : pretty sure it's calciatore.

firstly, because if the song is indeed based on her holiday in Italy with Francesco, the calciatore reference would make sense since they were in Portofino, a fashionable beach town that's a notable footballer hotspot, as any Italian knows. google 'calciatore Portofino' and you'll get virtually endless results.

secondly, it makes sense in the context of describing the 'downtown scenes' - footballers & limousines (the town's glamour, basically), then she meets her lover, then the ice cream reference. '(chicken) cacciatore' followed by 'limousine' would be a complete non sequitur.

Interestingly I think it's the contrary, I believe it's cacciatore because if I'm not mistaken it means hunter in general and not just in the dish and it fits with the idea that she's chasing him, she's hunting him, and that they're constantly becoming the hunter one after the other as now he can wait, she's eating soft ice cream, so he's the one that has to hunt her, something like "I hunt you by luring you with all my gold and limousines, with my glamour, but you're playing with me, you act like you don't care and you're just eating soft ice cream as you didn't cared about all these diamonds and just wanted a simple life, so ciao amore, you're only fun when you don't want me" I really love this theme and how subtly it's unravelling I adore this song

And I'm more and more leaning towards the Medellin part, which was well explained on Genius

ZKcaooE.png

as any Italian knows

Lana's not Italian. Again, I think you're probably giving her too much credit.

'(chicken) cacciatore' followed by 'limousine' would be a complete non sequitur.

Not sure it would be any less of a non sequitur if it was calciatore, but Lana's lyrics are full of non sequiturs.

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.

:lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:

"It's 2011, and we should all be aware of exactly how fast technology is developing" - Lana Del Rey

Lana's not Italian. Again, I think you're probably giving her too much credit.

Not sure it would be any less of a non sequitur if it was calciatore, but Lana's lyrics are full of non sequiturs.

She's been dating an Italian man for quite some time now, and the thought of him pointing out to her all the famous people they surely saw and/or met during their holiday there isn't that far-fetched, so maybe you're giving her too little?

My thought process was simply that footballer (= rich celebrity with an ostentatious lifestyle) & limousine were visually and thematically more related than chicken dish & limousine, but what do I know.

I actually like your 'hunter' theory, @@annedauphine ('ciao' doesn't necessarily mean 'goodbye', though; personally, I interpreted it as 'hi').