Sign in to follow this  
Lad

Salvatore

I hear "Meta-gene" more than "in regine" that's for sure. I have never heard of Medellín before, but it's in Colombia? So there is an ice cream store in Medellín called Tangerina and Lana is referencing that? Wtf? Is there something I'm missing or...

Yeah, phonetically I definitely hear something like "meta-gene" as well. But I'm not yet convinced it's Medellín. People on genius.com are saying it's pronounced "med-a-zsheen" or "med-a-jean", or at least that that's the way most English speakers pronounce it. But so far I'm not seeing that that's the case. It seems like people pronounce it more like "med-a-yeen". See this Narcos trailer at about 1:00, for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7elNhHwgBU

Or this video:

I mean, the Medellín cartel certainly makes sense as something she'd reference (her @@drugmoney and @columbiancartel Twitter accounts say hi) so maybe she's just majorly mispronouncing it. But it's also worth noting there are no other explicit drug references in the song (or "Backfire", the other song that mentions "Salvatore").

I think we should consider other possibilities. Here's one fitting with the Italian theme. Any chance she's saying "de Medici", and slightly mispronouncing the last syllable more like "zhee" than "chee"?

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.

Yeah, phonetically I definitely hear something like "meta-gene" as well. But I'm not yet convinced it's Medellín. People on genius.com are saying it's pronounced "med-a-zsheen" or "med-a-jean", or at least that that's the way most English speakers pronounce it. But so far I'm not seeing that that's the case. It seems like people pronounce it more like "med-a-yeen".

I mean, the Medellín cartel certainly makes sense as something she'd reference (her @@drugmoney and @columbiancartel Twitter accounts say hi) so maybe she's just majorly mispronouncing it. But it's also worth noting there are no other explicit drug references in the song (or "Backfire", the other songs that mentions "Salvatore").

I think we should consider other possibilities. Here's one fitting with the Italian theme. Any chance she's saying "de Medici", and slightly mispronouncing the last syllable more like "zhee" than "chee"?

Yeah that's why I'm so confused. In Spanish two Ls (ll) are pronounced as a "y", so her pronounciation would make no sense at all.

"De Medici" is a good idea, but I do think that she would look up a word (or at least ask Francesco) when she's not sure how it's pronounced. I hear more of a "meda-gine" or "mede-gine". And if it's not an English word, it must surely be Italian as it wouldn't make much sense otherwise for this song.

I just heard "il j'adore" in the last chorus. Wtf... is that even Italian, or French? Help please :)

I hear something like this too, but that unfortunately neither makes sense in French or in Italian... :/ "I adore him" or sth like this would be "lo adoro" in Italian, if I'm correct.

Can someone please explain why she says "The summer's hot and I've been cold without you"? Like, isn't summer supposed to be hot?? She even just said the summer's HOT, so why is she cold???? wyd siss???

the summer's hot is not enough to warm her, only her lover can rise her flame up (Freak teas :creep: ). It's more about the mood y'know? she's not literally talking about body temperature but rather talking about her mood, she's saying the summer's hot but without you being here your love I've been cold/distant/depressed or... did not have emotions at all  :P

tumblr_mthwqtumEQ1r7oj7fo1_250.giftumblr_mthwqtumEQ1r7oj7fo2_250.giftumblr_mthwqtumEQ1r7oj7fo4_250.gif

the summer's hot is not enough to warm her, only her lover can rise her flame up (Freak teas :creep: ). It's more about the mood y'know? she's not literally talking about body temperature but rather talking about her mood, she's saying the summer's hot but without you being here your love I've been cold/distant/depressed or... did not have emotions at all  :P

Thank you for this. You explained it beautifully!

I still think it's a bit of a messy metaphor personally, but it does make sense now that you've outlined what she meant.

Can someone please explain why she says "The summer's hot and I've been cold without you"? Like, isn't summer supposed to be hot?? She even just said the summer's HOT, so why is she cold???? wyd siss???

The summer's hot BUT I've been cold without you

These are the worst lyrics on the whole record.

"Catch me if you can,

working on my tan

Salvatore"

and the soft ice cream are iconic though.

The rest is okay, except the second verse that is tragic. BUT, I feel like the song is not meant to be taken seriously? Idk, it gives me that feeling.

~~~

I'm not so sure about the bridge lyrics. I hear white/long/warm/hot/etc summer :rip: and the "a mad Eugene" or whatever she says it's still a mystery to me

I love how she thirsts over the guy for the whole song and then decides that he can wait, because she wants to eat some ice cream first.

didn't they break up too? ice cream definitely is more important lol 

The double-l sound in Spanish has a lot of dialectal variation. The way she pronounces it, with a 'zh' sound, is common in Argentinian Spanish (although it's not the only possible pronunciation there - a 'sh' sound is also possible). Which, ironically, was influenced by Italian immigrants.  :toofunny:

I'm also not sure what's leading all the Italians to think she's saying "calciatore." I cannot hear any 'l' sound in that first syllable. I'm wondering if the reason so many Italians hear "calciatore" is because she doesn't double the consonant in "cacciatore," which is how it should be said in Italian. But Lana doesn't speak Italian. I think she speaks a bit of Spanish, and her pronunciation there is passable. She obviously has an accent. The way she says "acción," with three syllables, is a very English thing to do; in Spanish, it would be said with two syllables. She makes the vowels sound more Spanish, but she still has an English influence. The same applies to "cacciatore", I would think. She pronounces the vowels in an Italian manner and rolls the r, but in English there is no distinction between long and short consonants, so she doesn't double the "cc."

Cacciatore is also a pretty well known dish in America. Whenever Lana speaks in a foreign language, she uses pretty simple and well-known words. "Yo soy la princesa. Comprende mis white lines" (white lines isn't Spanish ofc) "Cubano como yo." It's nothing complicated; I'm pretty sure a first-year Spanish student could pick it out.

I really don't see a strong argument for "calciatore" when (a) cacciatore is known by American audiences (b) it fits the theme of "saying basic words in a foreign language" © Americans don't know what "calciatore" is. Although this song is supposed to be "Italian," the Italianness of it is really superficial. Like Godfather sounding music, very well known Italian words, a really Italian-sounding name. It's like the Epcot version of Italy in a song. But all the action is taking place in Miami, she's eating soft ice cream (Coney Island queen  :creep: ), and the guy is beatboxing and rapping - two American things. (if we're hearing it properly, she even brings up the Medellin cartel, which is certainly famous, and certainly not Italian). If it was 'calciatore', then you ruin the theme of easily digestible (no pun intended) Italian items by introducing something foreign to Americans.