annedauphine

Honeymoon - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Honeymoon  

300 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Honeymoon?

• Honeymoon
    • Music to Watch Boys to
    • Terrence Loves You
    • God Knows I Tried
    • High by the Beach
    • Freak
    • Art Deco
    • Burnt Norton
    • Religion
    • Salvatore
    • The Blackest Day
    • Swan Song
    • Don't Let Me be Misunderstood

On 12/11/2017 at 6:36 PM, IanadeIrey said:

I recall Lana talking about how time was a central theme throughout the record. That feeling of timelessness and what one's interpretation of timelessness reveals about their own self is what I personally view as an overarching theme throughout the record. 

The whole record contains this feeling of time, both moving backwards and forwards. Both melodically and sonically. Burnt Norton in particular illustrates this lyrical idea of certain events and mindsets of different times coexisting in the past, present, and future. I feel like this was included as the interlude of the record because it almost serves as a metaphor for that gap between who Lizzy was/is and who Lana Del Rey is calculated to be. There are parts of Lizzy that exist within Lana and there are parts of Lana that were part of Lizzy even before Lana was calculated. What also leads me to believe this is something Lana said from the Billboard 2015 interview: Lana referred to herself as "her" rather than "I," saying that she's "protective of her - Lana..." Lana also stated this year that she did view "Lana Del Rey" as more of a persona than herself.  Also, in early 2015, Lana changed her Instagram icon to a picture of Lizzy. In terms of the sonic aspect, there is a lot of recycling of various sounds and the inverting of various instrumental sequences throughout songs. For example, the drums at the end of Religion slow down into nothingness, which almost sounds like time stopping. In HBTB, the last "high" sequences are later used for the Swan Song intro. Salvatore features a laugh that sounds both played forward and in reverse (it is more prominent in the instrumental rather than the actual album track). I feel like time is a metaphor for Lana versus Lizzy, and timelessness refers to parts of Elizabeth Woolridge Grant that exist in all versions of herself. 

Of course, there are also some songs that deal with Lana versus Lizzy, like Swan Song, where she asks both her man and herself if everything they're doing is really worth it, perhaps the theme of freedom in the song is letting go of who Lana Del Rey is ("I will never sing again" is quite open to interpretation but definitely fits this). God Knows I Tried also deals with escaping fame and feeling free. In fact, the whole record is called Honeymoon. A honeymoon is something that is to be enjoyed without any stress, and it is meant to be done in a fashion that ensures the privacy and relaxation of one. The privacy aspect is key to Lana versus Lizzy, because Lana is probably not the coolly detached, stiletto-nailed, false-eyelash batting Lana Del Rey when she's on her own time, at least not at the time of the journeys chronicled in Honeymoon. Honeymoon is the bridge between that persona of Lana from Born to Die, Paradise, and Ultraviolence, to the more grounded, aware of the real world Lana that is present in Lust for Life.

I could go on, but I would take forever. Honeymoon is an album that has a lot beyond it's surface and I have so much to say about it. I don't know if what I wrote was what you were looking for, but I hope it was! :)

Re-listened to Honeymoon for the first time in a bit and really felt moved by it more than I usually am. I went back to this thread to find a little thing I wrote 3 years ago and it only holds more truth with time. Truly an album that will unravel all its layers in the years to come and to me, is the essence of Lana’s artistry <3

19 minutes ago, IanadeIrey said:

Re-listened to Honeymoon for the first time in a bit and really felt moved by it more than I usually am. I went back to this thread to find a little thing I wrote 3 years ago and it only holds more truth with time. Truly an album that will unravel all its layers in the years to come and to me, is the essence of Lana’s artistry <3

Re-listened to it yesterday too on New Years Eve and it really is a no skip album :dance: Its just such a complete and glorious project, truly her magnum opus and my favorite Lana album :wowcry:

Y0jLcfB.gif.˚₊‧.༻𓆩❤︎𓆪 My love's pourin' 𓆩‪‪❤︎𓆪༺.‧₊˚. yxuiMLe.gif
34h2wyS.gif

°l||l°l||l°l||l°l||l°l||l°l||Like a waterfall.||l°l||l°l||l°l||l°l||l°l||

1:32━━━━━♡────2:42

⇆ | ◁◁ ▐ ▌ ▷▷ | ↺

"Living in the land of Honeymoons and oil tycoons. God bless America, the land of pink champagne and purple rain. This is my favourite perspective / nothing but white sails above and blue waters rolling in front of me for miles and miles" 

I always wonder what this was. If they're lyrics, I sooo want to hear this elusive outtake. Otherwise, even if just some offhand prose she chucked out into the world, these lines encapsulate that signature soft violet languid opulent space that the whole album occupies so well 

FmgKWb8.gif?1     HNqlJGD.gif

42 minutes ago, theviolence said:

"Living in the land of Honeymoons and oil tycoons. God bless America, the land of pink champagne and purple rain. This is my favourite perspective / nothing but white sails above and blue waters rolling in front of me for miles and miles" 

I always wonder what this was. If they're lyrics, I sooo want to hear this elusive outtake. Otherwise, even if just some offhand prose she chucked out into the world, these lines encapsulate that signature soft violet languid opulent space that the whole album occupies so well 

where is this from?

WGe8ynS.gif

Does anyone know if she used a leslie speaker during the bridge on Salvatore? It sounds like it might be a digital leslie speaker, with the effects turned down. It could also be the reverb and her vibrato making the effect i’m hearing too tho so idk

On 10/17/2020 at 11:46 AM, CHIPCHROME said:

I was literally TODAY years old when I realized “Soft Ice Cream” doubles as “Soft I Scream” in Salvatore... which she proceeds to do in the refrain/chorus. 

:trisha: :wat: :wowcry:

Holy fuck you’re right. This is genius now i see the song completely different

giphy.gif

if i fuck this model and she just bleached her asshole and i get bleach on my t-shirt, imma feel like an asshole

The instrumentals of this album is truly a dream. :flutter:

How some (too many) people be like "I like every work of Lana's except Honeymoon" though (Delusional, it is)

If I get a little prettier can I be your baby?

Beskrivning saknas.

I believe in Flipside/Is This Happiness?/Your Girl supremacy

11 minutes ago, 13beachess said:

The instrumentals of this album is truly a dream. :flutter:

How some (too many) people be like "I like every work of Lana's except Honeymoon" though (Delusional, it is)

The fact that we still don't have DLMBM instrumental is a crime...

http://EB94-F944-4-FE0-4885-9-DE3-3-CC6-C68-A9-

The legacy

Forgive me for everything I said about this album that I hated for a long time because it reminds me of bad times and I had anxiety attacks while listening to it, impossible to listen to it for a long time years, all those fucking songs were so painful.

And then decided to give it a chance, 5 years later following Chemtrails which disappointed me a lot and... amazing album.

Refined, baroque in its own way, grandiose. Great songs.

The Honeymoon track is absolutely magical, morbid, sad and fantastic all at the same time, I had forgotten how much this title made me depress and cry on it in July 2015, it reminds me of a lot of bad things. The album is a little more boring than the others before but it is really well done, very cinematic, cut out for a hot and romantic summer.

An obvious Italian atmosphere. All the promotion around, you know her @honeymoon account, the phone number, the gorgeous photos, her romance with Francesco with his blue headphones on the beach, her convertible and her book...

I regret not having taken advantage of this era, everything was perfect and iconic.

The Honeymoon clip on vhs cassette had some very interesting elements, but I admit that the clip was boring, nothing was happening, but it remains one of my favorites I don't know why

7 minutes ago, BluebirdXO said:

This will always be my favorite album. I could listen in a daily basis and never get bored

100% agree. It remains magical and fresh to this day ?

Honeymoon being praised after almost 6 years as it should! How can people say it's monotonous?! This is her most cohesive but diverse record. Also one of Nowel's best productions imo.

The 1-2-3 punch of HM/MTWBT/TLY :legend:

The 1-2-3 punch of  HBTB/Freak/AD :diva:

The 1-2-3 punch of Religion/Salvatore/TBD:sluttybunny:

Just iconic, and can't be compared with any other era.

search_results.gif?1441757821