annedauphine

Honeymoon - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Honeymoon  

300 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Honeymoon?

• Honeymoon
    • Music to Watch Boys to
    • Terrence Loves You
    • God Knows I Tried
    • High by the Beach
    • Freak
    • Art Deco
    • Burnt Norton
    • Religion
    • Salvatore
    • The Blackest Day
    • Swan Song
    • Don't Let Me be Misunderstood

Honeymoon did the unthinkable and topped UV for me but not necessarily because of purely musical reasons, it's because it's dark but it's happy, and it's reclaimed which is the EXACT state I am in right now. I wish I had discovered UV earlier because this record is an absolute jewel especially in its indulgence in self-awareness of the sadness, it's a blunt word but I can't find another one, melancholia maybe. Honeymoon, when I actually really dislike this name in itself compared to the spectacular ultraviolence term, is the incredible and extremely cohesive follow-up to this sadness. It reminds me of earlier this year when I got back into severe depression and I can pinpoint the exact moment I turned back and got up. Honeymoon feels like this. It feels like acknowledging the melancholia, but instead of easily being overwhelmed by it, reclaiming it and controlling it. I don't want to say that I prefer Honeymoon just because it's just out and I love theoretically everything Lana does. I've never related that much to any artist ever and I feel a real connection to the way she approaches her work and mine. I apologize, I don't want to sound pretentious, I am just completely astonished to find myself in front of a work that is the exact depiction of the path my mind took this past year, exactly in the same time than the UV and Honeymoon eras. Whereas in UV there are songs that I basically ignore, in Honeymoon, I find myself respecting the songs that I find to be less spectacular because of how obvious it is that this piece of work is seamless solid and cohesive and makes sense as a whole, in maybe a much less raw and raspy way than UV, but in a polished assurance, and full of extreme and pure emotion. 

tl;dr: Honeymoon is the best album ever made in my humble opinion, but not necessarily musically.

Not point in repeating so I'm just quoting myself but this is my opinion on Honeymoon. I haven't listened to it as a whole body of work yet.

it's fine. and would u like to add the lyrics in the OP? as well as the producer credits ;)

The lyrics to all the songs? Yes I guess I could, but tomorrow, I'm just dying of sleep deprivation now haha. Same for the produced credits, sorry the OP is a bit empty cause I rushed to make it available asap

ZKcaooE.png

I still haven't figured out what the mood of this album is yet. Ultraviolence's mood is VERY distinct and it's perfect for when I'm having dark feelings, but I haven't yet figured out what emotions Honeymoon evokes in me.

I'm sorry if this sounds pretentious, that wasn't my intention  :rip:

the lyrics are so weak on this albummmm. 

born to die will 4ever be her best album(even tho i like AKA more) cuz its a collection of songs she worked on for a while, recording multiple versions with multiple producers, exploring the different sounds and lyrics. it also explores orchestral trip hop or w/e which is pretty fuckin cool.

if honeymoon had better lyrics, it would be her best album. i'd really like to hear an album full of remade/reworked old songs to sound like honeymoon.

haven't really listened to the whole thing.

but considering the official released tracks, I do think that there are more variations in HM or UV than in BTD

for me, BTD is more about the sad love story and teenage girl's dream and visions about hollywood

it's true that sometimes i feel like she has ditched some hollywood glamour and epicness (or even cliches) in her lyrics.

like there's no "i will love you till the end of time" or "feet dont fail me now, take me to the finish line" stuffs

but HM somehow gives us a refreshing perspective. e.g. a more powerful woman's thought

giphy.gif

haven't really listened to the whole thing.

but considering the official released tracks, I do think that there are more variations in HM or UV than in BTD

for me, BTD is more about the sad love story and teenage girl's dream and visions about hollywood

it's true that sometimes i feel like she has ditched some hollywood glamour and epicness (or even cliches) in her lyrics.

like there's no "i will love you till the end of time" or "feet dont fail me now, take me to the finish line" stuffs

but HM somehow gives us a refreshing perspective. e.g. a more powerful woman's thought

You're right. I kinda miss the "glamour and epicness" from her work, I think it was an important element which sets a certain part of her discography apart and makes it that much more special.

HM obviously doesn't have that but I'm not gonna complain about that, it's just good in a different way

This leak doesn't sound like vinyl at all … just a 128kbps CD rip probably

Anyways I wouldn't make any judgments yet … too many high-end details are lost with this encode

128 kbps is technically high quality so if it were from a cd it would sound really good.

anyway idk how bad it sounds, i havent listened. have fun in honeymoon hell heathens.

The album is really good.

T think when she said it was closer to Paradise, she meant the more orchestral instrumentations and the overall "mood". However, Honeymoon is less dramatic and the songs are a little bit more "laid back". Vocally, it's closer to Ultraviolence, however it sounds much more .. mature.

I love how SOME songs sound a bit more B-side-y, in terms that you wouldn't expect them to end up on an album like this, without further (over-)production.

The lyrics are ok, I love how some of them finally aren't as submissive anymore (at least not all the time). Plus even though it's a very coherent album, every song really archieves it's very own vibe. Salvatore really has this Little Italy feeling, Music To Watch Boys To is a lounge-esque, tropical song which really makes it easy to envision her watching some guys.

Swan Song also fits it's name a lot, judging her vocals and the vibe, sounding wistful, dark but yet beautiful.

Freak is mysterious and sexy while Art Deco could play in one of these artsy scene clubs.

24 builds up from an almost jazz-y melody to a Bond song worthy chorus with those beautiful castanets and God Knows I Tried mixes the aspects of Western songs with Gospel influences.

The first part of the album really feels like a very hot afternoon, crickets chirping, everything's a bit inactive because it's so hot etc.

Then comes the "muddy-trap"part and after this the tracks shape up to be more cinematic.

Honeymoon is a great album, I wouldn't go as far as saying it's her best one, but it definitly is a quality recording.

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

There's a few things that I'd like to discuss!! First I can't help but to think as OTTR, Carmen and now Salvatore as some sort of a trilogy in the theme and vibe. Also after listening to the whole album and cried my eyes out, I was wondering if the subject of this album might not necessarily be a man, but fame in itself. I know it's already been said about HBTB, but when I see song like GKIT and how she's sarcastically having fun in Freak, I really wonder who this album is addressed to. What are your views on that? :)

Edit: and in Swan Song, when she says I will never sing again, maybe it means that she will never take any bullshit anymore from criticisms and she will sing FOR HERSELF.

ZKcaooE.png