annedauphine

Honeymoon - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Honeymoon  

310 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Honeymoon?

• Honeymoon
    • Music to Watch Boys to
    • Terrence Loves You
    • God Knows I Tried
    • High by the Beach
    • Freak
    • Art Deco
    • Burnt Norton
    • Religion
    • Salvatore
    • The Blackest Day
    • Swan Song
    • Don't Let Me be Misunderstood

I completely understand this, especially knowing a bit of the perspective you are coming from. Like, I wish I even had a music career to throw away. I feel the same way about Marina. Maybe there's just something we don't know.  :sadcore:

Well in Marina's case, she actually promoted her album a bit, she sang at GMA lol. 

Well in Marina's case, she actually promoted her album a bit, she sang at GMA lol. 

Yeah I know, she is (or was) promoting Froot a lot actually. I meant more about after her tour. She's basically said she's done with music after this upcoming tour. Its hard seeing some people who really want to make a living from art because they truly love it barely getting by or not getting a chance at all and then seeing someone else who has everything they could want just throw it away because they are bored/lazy/whatever. I know its not fair to think that way at all because everyone has the right to do what makes them happy, but still. I realize in Marina's case its not a decision she is making lightly and she really does recognize she is lucky though. I think for her its more of a sense of fulfillment, that she got what she wanted form her career. But at the end of the day, she's still throwing something out that so many people would die to have.

Goddesses don't speak in whispers. They scream.

Maybe in a few years Lana will feel inspired and motivated with her music again. I actually hope she decides to take a break to get things together. It feels like the Honeymoon era is over, even though it just began.

At least we have her unrealeased music, albums, and videos to enjoy, especially things from the BTD era :godlaugh:

And that's a shame, really, because everyone is doing the opposite. Some new artists are working their asses off because they want to show how talented they are. FKA twigs, for example, she an unknown in real life but every indie blog is talking about her. She does expensive videos and is on tour since May 2014, if I'm not mistaken. She doesn't perform on TV but she does live sets on the radio, performs at huge festivals, etc. She's ambitious, musically, she creating her own world just like Lana did with Born to Die and that's why twigs is getting so much attention online, and that's why I love her. I don't love her new hardcore electronic industral stuff, though, but I still love her because LP1 is fucking excellent and she's an incredible artist.

And now let's talk about someone with a huge career - Björk. In 2007, she said she reaaaally hated being a superstar back in the 90s, but she releases extremely awesome records every 3-4 years. 30 years into her career, she put out the work of art that Vulnicura is. She did a great tour and is about to release an acoustic version of the record. She also had an exhibition in a museum and made three high quality videos. Oh, and she worked with one of the most exciting producers at the moment: Arca.

Lana at least changes her sound with every album; if you really want to look at people adhering to a lazy formula, those artists both continue to release the same shapeless, meandering electronic-influenced songs, but have amassed too much critical goodwill for anyone to honestly assess their real originality and growth. Really, they are just better at having the right amount of residual "cool" factor and a brand that works.

I guess the reason I keep coming back here is that the rest of the music world just … insane. Lana always seems to have the ethos that melody is not passé, and we need to go back to that sort of 60's songcraft if we ever want to move forward.

Yeah I know, she is (or was) promoting Froot a lot actually. I meant more about after her tour. She's basically said she's done with music after this upcoming tour. Its hard seeing some people who really want to make a living from art because they truly love it barely getting by or not getting a chance at all and then seeing someone else who has everything they could want just throw it away because they are bored/lazy/whatever. I know its not fair to think that way at all because everyone has the right to do what makes them happy, but still. I realize in Marina's case its not a decision she is making lightly and she really does recognize she is lucky though. I think for her its more of a sense of fulfillment, that she got what she wanted form her career. But at the end of the day, she's still throwing something out that so many people would die to have.

Oh wait. Marina quits music? That is actually great news! Jk, dear Marina stans, but is that true?

She needs to promote to sell her shit, she wont so she will keep fading, thats what she wants. She doesnt want to appear on tv singing her songs, she doesnt want to do live interviews on tv not even on the radios that do interviews. I mean its ok if she wants to, but the fans will get bored eventually and forget about her.

I get bored but I will never forget her.

It's hard in the eras when she doesn't release videos but after the era is over I listen to her records more

Mfhp.gif

Here's a novella for you:

This is the dumbest post in the entire thread. charliexx's assent is up there too.

:awkney: why are you even coming for us? Lmao, did we ever insult you or anyone? Keep trying, honey.

QVi1xFV.gifDrH6LWV.gif0FHXTOj.gif

I really keep coming back to Swan Song. It's the song I play the most.

Anybody else noticed how after the title track none of the songs really thematically belong on an album like Honeymoon (which doesn't make them bad, just to clarify), but after BN they do?

Am I alone in this?

I get bored but I will never forget her.

It's hard in the eras when she doesn't release videos but after the era is over I listen to her records more

Maybe you aint forgetting about her but the majority will move on and go to the next it girl that starts slaying or release whatever. 

I really keep coming back to Swan Song. It's the song I play the most.

Anybody else noticed how after the title track none of the songs really thematically belong on an album like Honeymoon (which doesn't make them bad, just to clarify), but after BN they do?

Am I alone in this?

true  

I find Honeymoon to be a concept album from the first note to the end of the album, with Don't let me be misunderstood being the song that solidifies it, and tells said listener to now go back and listen again if one

doesn't get it.

It also needs to be listened to as a whole (like an opera not a pop song) and then listened to repeatedly as a whole

Many kids these days of course don't have the attention span to do it

But there are rewards aplenty for those that do.

After all, one doesn't open up The Great Gatsby and read page 86 paragraph 3 and get the story. (note- before leaked-vision ad hominems me, I picked that number out of my head and don't have the book in front of me, didn't know the

spelling police was on this board).

(and of course it sounds like some here won't love Lana when she is no longer young nor beautiful, but I know I will be there for the ride as long as I am living and breathing).

one doesn't drive from Brooklyn to Hollywood and decide to end the trip in the middle of the Mississippi river does one?) (and no, that has nothing to do with Jeff Buckley).(whose best song was a cover of Leonard Cohen).

Lana is our modern day Edith Piaf. Totally unique. a mixture of Brian WIlson Roy Orbison, Leonard Cohen, Gram Parsons, Elton & Bernie. Born to Die/Paradise is comparable to Elton's Captain Fantastic. All the records need to be listened whole. Waiting for a box set vinyl of all 400 songs not on any lp

Got my third replacement vinyl and it finally sounds good.  :deadbanana: And I don't know why it's so damn expensive everywhere like sis $50.....

Sometimes I can't stand to listen this album and then all of sudden I'm addicted and completely blown away by it. 

off topic: I can't see my profile picture. Am I a tropico now? 

It's not a tropico  :teehee:

karma drawn up in lines / baby it's a freebie you sure look deprived

Can we start discussing possibly another single?? It's bound to happen since HM and TLY are technically only promo singles...

I  personally think "Freak" has the most potential to be the next single, but you guys can say what you think. 

duh  :teehee:

tumblr_o1safdMl1g1uc67yuo1_540.jpg

Can we start discussing possibly another single?? It's bound to happen since HM and TLY are technically only promo singles...

I  personally think "Freak" has the most potential to be the next single, but you guys can say what you think. 

Salvatore 

Demos_copy.png

I think Lana is still finding herself in making music. Hence, you see her growth in every album. And she's maturing nicely. I mean I don't doubt that she knows what she wants though, but making music is a whole different thing, I think.

Hopefully Freak or Art Deco or Salvatore. I mean those are the only songs that have some potential to be a really good single. 

I hope just hope Lana comes thru with at least one more video that's high quality  :pft: