Sign in to follow this  
delreyfreak

Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood

Noticed nobody's made his thread yet so here you all go...

Baby, you understand me now
If sometimes you see that I'm mad
Don't you know that no one alive can always be an angel?
When everything goes wrong you see some bad

Well, I'm just a soul whose intentions are good
Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood

You know sometimes, baby, I'm so carefree
With a joy that's hard to hide
And then sometimes again it seems that all I have is worry
And then you're bound to see my other side

But I'm just a soul whose intentions are good

If I seem edgy
I want you to know
I never meant to take it out on, on you
Life has it's problems
And I get more than my share
But that's one thing I never mean to do
'Cause I love you

Oh baby
I'm just human
Don't you know I have faults like anyone?
Sometimes I find myself alone regretting
Some little foolish thing
Some simple thing that I've done

Cause I'm just a soul whose intentions are good

I try so hard
Don't let me be misunderstood

I try so hard

Don't let me be misunderstood

Lana has taken this song, that was written specifc for (but not by) Nina Simone, and was a hit for the Animals and Santa Esemeralda

somewhat taking the first two versions, and making the song her own.

He phrasing and her meaning is specific to her.

She is directly describing herself in these lyrics.

And it is alternatively heart breaking but redeeming, and affirmative, and asking those who are listening not to listen to any negativity and keep moving wherever she takes us

Which is pretty cool if you ask me.

Lana is our modern day Edith Piaf. Totally unique. a mixture of Brian WIlson Roy Orbison, Leonard Cohen, Gram Parsons, Elton & Bernie. Born to Die/Paradise is comparable to Elton's Captain Fantastic. All the records need to be listened whole. Waiting for a box set vinyl of all 400 songs not on any lp

I'm in love with this song, I love how she sings it and the instrumental :oprah:

I only heard Nina's cover once and it didn't do anything to me. I will listen to it again one day.

The lines

But I'm just a soul whose intentions are good
Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood'

are so beautiful :oprah:

EotAQlJ.jpg

It don't mind me her version, but it's so far by Santa Esmeralda's cover... :hdu:

Perhaps some violins (in Lana's style, obviously :D ) could have hide the lack of guitars...

nobody made this thread because these aren't lana's lyrics.

Calm down sis, I know it's just a cover, I just wanted to have a thread for the lyrics so they are all conveniently in one place on the Boards and you don't have to tediously go searching Google for them!   :facepalm:

Plus, she did change the phrasing slightly   :creep:

Some of you people are so annoying. Every time someone does something good around here or in the Lana world, you cause a fuss. omg   :toofunny:

Calm down sis, I know it's just a cover, I just wanted to have a thread for the lyrics so they are all conveniently in one place on the Boards and you don't have to tediously go searching Google for them!   :facepalm:

Plus, she did change the phrasing slightly   :creep:

Some of you people are so annoying. Every time someone does something good around here or in the Lana world, you cause a fuss. omg   :toofunny:

this is your idea of causing a fuss?

i personally find a thread like this (or a lyrics thread of any song she's covered) redundant. not putting a gun to your head and saying you have to agree with me.

It was the only song, along with the Honeymoon song, that had full lyrics written out for it in the CD booklet. So yeah, it's an important song it seems. I think the album really closed with Swan Song as the last original song, but you could think of DLMBM as a kind of encore. I also think she would have freaked the fandom out a bit, if she had closed the album with Swan Song, instead of this one. 

this is your idea of causing a fuss?

i personally find a thread like this (or a lyrics thread of any song she's covered) redundant. not putting a gun to your head and saying you have to agree with me.

Ok, sorry for writing "calm down". That was perhaps a bit too far. I don't think you're causing a huge fuss, I shouldn't have written that you were in my comment either, all I was trying to say was that your your comment really added nothing to the discussion of this page other than a bitter comment.

And I don't see how this thread is redundant? People create these threads so that everyone has a convenient place to go if they wish to view the lyrics, or if they have something they would like to discuss regarding the song. Yes, this is a cover, so the words themselves aren't from Lana's mouth, but she has said multiple times that she selects her cover songs very carefully, and that they always have a meaning to her in her life. So why can't we have a place for people to dissect the meaning of the song in relation to Lana's life. It's better there's one thread for discussion rather than a bunch of users creating multiple annoying threads all over the place, which seems to be happening a lot around here lately.

Also, I never said you were forcing me to agree with your opinion. I just think that sometimes there's no use in sharing an opinion if it will bring about nothing relevant, and only concerns a trivial matter, like a lyrics thread  :toofunny:

Apart from our little clash, we've already had about three people post relevant comments regarding the cover.

If anything was redundant, it was your initial comment, which added even less to this discussion than my initial post with the lyrics.

Sorry if I'm coming across as rude, I'm just genuinely confused as to why you think these pages shouldn't exist when they're completely relevant and have already sparked a few discussion points?  :facepalm:

Ok, sorry for writing "calm down". That was perhaps a bit too far. I don't think you're causing a huge fuss, I shouldn't have written that you were in my comment either, all I was trying to say was that your your comment really added nothing to the discussion of this page other than a bitter comment.

And I don't see how this thread is redundant? People create these threads so that everyone has a convenient place to go if they wish to view the lyrics, or if they have something they would like to discuss regarding the song. Yes, this is a cover, so the words themselves aren't from Lana's mouth, but she has said multiple times that she selects her cover songs very carefully, and that they always have a meaning to her in her life. So why can't we have a place for people to dissect the meaning of the song in relation to Lana's life. It's better there's one thread for discussion rather than a bunch of users creating multiple annoying threads all over the place, which seems to be happening a lot around here lately.

Also, I never said you were forcing me to agree with your opinion. I just think that sometimes there's no use in sharing an opinion if it will bring about nothing relevant, and only concerns a trivial matter, like a lyrics thread  :toofunny:

Apart from our little clash, we've already had about three people post relevant comments regarding the cover.

If anything was redundant, it was your initial comment, which added even less to this discussion than my initial post with the lyrics.

Sorry if I'm coming across as rude, I'm just genuinely confused as to why you think these pages shouldn't exist when they're completely relevant and have already sparked a few discussion points?  :facepalm:

here this is the last time i'll post on the thread so discussion can continue without me cluttering it up haha. i personally find threads posting lyrics of songs that aren't hers redundant because they just...aren't hers and i don't find them to generate much conversation. but this is probably also because i don't really vibe with covers of songs to begin with. especially not on a record. but i can acknowledge that this is just a personal opinion of mine and obviously not the opinion of others and i didn't need to initially post. and i apologize for getting lippy!

here this is the last time i'll post on the thread so discussion can continue without me cluttering it up haha. i personally find threads posting lyrics of songs that aren't hers redundant because they just...aren't hers and i don't find them to generate much conversation. but this is probably also because i don't really vibe with covers of songs to begin with. especially not on a record. but i can acknowledge that this is just a personal opinion of mine and obviously not the opinion of others and i didn't need to initially post. and i apologize for getting lippy!

No worries. Thanks for the apology.

I'm also sorry, I shouldn't have dragged this conversation on, your comment really wasn't that big of a deal. I got overly bothered by it when it was just your personal opinion. I understand where you're coming from now, but I still see things differently, so I guess we'll have to respectfully disagree lol. But thanks for not starting a massive argument like some other users would!  ;)