RetroSound

'Ride' - Music Video Released

Random Tidbit thoughts on video:

-On a whole I really liked it.

-Tire swing-- some amazing symbolism

-I felt a bit awkward and cringed when she was up against the pinball machine with the guy. I felt awkward in general when she was intimate with the guys. I think I just thought they were very pedo like (even though Lana's not a teen), and they seemed dirty and gross and whatnot.

-Head dress: I picture Native Americans as being free spirited, being around bonfires, expressing themselves in lively dancing and singing, and being out in nature. . . . . this is what Lana was doing while wearing it . . .

-I still wished she drove off the side of a cliff, guns blazing, with cops after her. Although I understand and agree with the fact that the death should mainly only be with BTD videos.

-WHY WAS THE AUDIO SO BAD?

2dt29zc.jpg

No way. It's just ultra ultra compressed. It sounds like it's a 112kbps mp3. This is not "old sounding," just terrible mp3 quality. Why are so many of her videos like this, i wonder. What a disservice to her work.

"The limits of my language mean the limits of my world." -Wittgenstein

As a native american, I don't think Lana really thought about what she was doing in the video. Point is most of you think it looks cool, and it does, but it brings to mind stereotypes. The stereotypical indian that was created in the old films, (all indians were played by white people painted red back then, not so different from blackface) Native Americans did not create their own stereotypes. For most people, when they think of Native Americans the first thing that comes to mind is Pocahontas savages who spoke broken english and wore headdresses and yelled around like fucking idiots, that is not the case however. They did not speak broken english, only wore headdresses when they earned it and were highly regarded in the tribe, and Pocahontas was modeled after an asian model. Point is, a white woman wearing a headdress is perpetuating stereotypes and not helping but rather hurting the modern Native image. She's making indian customs into costumes. She's not helping the modern Native image but rather regressing the thoughts of native americans back to old ways. It would be different if she had a Native American wearing a headdress in her video. It makes no sense for her to wear it and it pisses me off that she's wearing it while intoxicated and acting like a fucking idiot playing with fire and throwing bottles and shit. It's stupid and unnecessary. She definitely lost a whole lot of respect from me by doing this.

As for the "old america" thing I think she's referring to the post-war type feel of america, like the pride for being an American back then which I think is highly romanticized nowadays and pretty false considering how hard life was for everyone back then. I think what she was trying to say is she liked how they dressed and their style was back then......

Oh lana....I used to think you were like the greatest person alive but I just don't know anymore :oprah:

I've got a war in my mind. :what:

As for the "old america" thing I think she's referring to the post-war type feel of america, like the pride for being an American back then which I think is highly romanticized nowadays and pretty false considering how hard life was for everyone back then. I think what she was trying to say is she liked how they dressed and their style was back then......

Judging on the hair and behavior I thought she might mean the 70s-80s America rather (I can see why it sounds like she was talking about earlier but the pre-60s society was really restrictive and the opposite of 'free' all over so it doesn't really make sense in the context). Alternatively she could be talking about the cowboys and Indians in teh wild west time and yea, I have no idea when that was or if it was for real, I've seen some movies :D but I have no idea what I'm talking about

tumblr_n746y8etXI1qa35sao1_500.gif

Hello, I am litewave, of the old forum, which I'm happy to see has been resurrected and growing again. Now that Lana has released Ride and an impressive but controversial video I want to repeat my view that what she tends to represent in her art is not a balanced personality but rather a part of a personality. It is therefore necessarily exaggerated and imbalanced. This part, which I called the soul, has a holistic, open, inclusive, intuitive and ambiguous nature and has been traditionally identified with femininity, because it has been expressed, for both biological and social reasons, more by women than by men. Nevertheless, in all people it is only a part of the personality, and is complementary to the other part, which I called the ego. The ego, for its part, has been identified with masculinity, due to its analytic, focused, selective, separatist, firm and confident nature.

Because of its fragility, the soul has been suppressed and degraded in the Western culture and also in the world in general. In the process, mankind has built amazing structures of economy, science and technology, laying the groundwork for its escape from the forces of nature. But this separation from nature has also separated man from something vital within himself. This imbalance, the domination by the ego, needs to be corrected. The correction does not mean the negation of the ego or its achievements but their consummation in the reunion of the ego and the soul. As Richard Tarnas has observed, this change is already underway:

The crisis of modern man is an essentially masculine crisis, and I believe that its resolution is already now occurring in the tremendous emergence of the feminine in our culture: visible not only in the rise of feminism, the growing empowerment of women, and the widespread opening up to feminine values by both men and women, and not only in the rapid burgeoning of women's scholarship and gender-sensitive perspectives in virtually every intellectual discipline, but also in the increasing sense of unity with the planet and all forms of nature on it, in the increasing awareness of the ecological and the growing reaction against political and corporate policies supporting the domination and exploitation of the environment, in the growing embrace of the human community, in the accelerating collapse of long-standing political and ideological barriers separating the world's peoples, in the deepening recognition of the value and necessity of partnership, pluralism, and the interplay of many perspectives. It is visible also in the widespread urge to reconnect with the body, the emotions, the unconscious, the imagination and intuition, in the new concern with the mystery of childbirth and the dignity of the maternal, in the growing recognition of an immanent intelligence in nature, in the broad popularity of the Gaia hypothesis. It can be seen in the increasing appreciation of indigenous and archaic cultural perspectives such as the Native American, African, and ancient European, in the new awareness of feminine perspectives of the divine, in the archaeological recovery of the Goddess tradition and the contemporary reemergence of Goddess worship, in the rise of Sophianic Judaeo-Christian theology and the papal declaration of the Assumptio Mariae, in the widely noted spontaneous upsurge of feminine archetypal phenomena in individual dreams and psychotherapy. And it is evident as well in the great wave of interest in the mythological perspective, in esoteric disciplines, in Eastern mysticism, in shamanism, in archetypal and transpersonal psychology, in hermeneutics and other non-objectivist epistemologies, in scientific theories of the holonomic universe, morphogenetic fields, dissipative structures, chaos theory, systems theory, the ecology of mind, the participatory universe--the list could go on and on. As Jung prophesied, an epochal shift is taking place in the contemporary psyche, a reconciliation between the two great polarities, a union of opposites: a hieros gamos (sacred marriage) between the long-dominant but now alienated masculine and the long-suppressed but now ascending feminine.

Richard Tarnas: The Passion of the Western Mind (epilogue)

Lana reflects this new social and psychological trend in her art. She embodies the broken soul of America, and of the world, that is now returning.

http://vimeo.com/31309318

(my first post from the old forum can be found on my blog here)

Watching all our friends fall in and out of Old Paul's, this is my idea of fun

So many new DelBoys added to the stable!

The guy with the white long sleeved shirt was HOT.

and the main biker dude?

tumblr_mbtz431GuV1rog4gso3_500.gif

and i didn't have a problem with the headdress. It looked good. Overall great vid, as creation myths made by artists go it blows most out of the water (esp MTN). MTN wanted desperately to be what Ride is.

Wasn't crazy about the screaming bits. And the country america used to be thing i associated with the freedom of the 70's. ever seen Easy Rider????

tumblr_maz0yvqp3S1qaio2lo1_500.gif

In light of Chloe's discovery here, I would have to agree with litewave's point that "Lana ...embodies the broken soul of America, and of the world, that is now returning," and conclude that by "old America" she means pre-colonization America. Now it makes more sense to me.

39150648115_3584eac590_o.png

In light of Chloe's discovery here, I would have to agree with litewave's point that "Lana ...embodies the broken soul of America, and of the world, that is now returning," and conclude that by "old America" she means pre-colonization America. Now it makes more sense to me.

Or maybe she sticks to her 1950s-60s era, in which she has always seemed to perceive a spirit of vitality, and now she has added the Native American element to that spirit, because of their sense of community and closeness to nature, while simultaneously making a point about the suppression of that spirit. In that final shot with the head dress I think she looks stunning, glowing like a Native American goddess.

Watching all our friends fall in and out of Old Paul's, this is my idea of fun

Since we're on the subject of trying to interpret what she may have meant by what "America used to be"...Smething that has always bothered me about the usual comments i hear about LDR is the lumping her into a "1950s/1960s" ethos, because those decades, from an American perspective, are so distinct from each other. Eisenhower Post-war prosperity and all that that entails, and then the Civil Rights movement/the counterculture/Vietnam/the political assassinations/Rock & Roll, etc. Nearly everything about those two decades was in such opposition--the culture, the values, the general spirit, the music, the fashion--the mid-to-late '60s were a reaction to the tenets of the 1950s. I know LDR is a walking contradiction, but i find if lazy and misinformed to use the '50s/'60s thing as a descriptor.

#PostmodernLDR

It’s cool that this video is way more “Lizzy” than it is “Lana.” Also, it’s nice to see that it’s always a family affair with Chuck being around.