Monicker

Would Lana be as well-liked if she wasn’t attractive?

I am wondering a) when someone is going to touch the Amy-Winehouse-is-only-attractive-to-chicks-who-dig-her-hair comment, and b) how long i could possibly bite my tongue for.  :hdu:

"The limits of my language mean the limits of my world." -Wittgenstein

I am wondering a) when someone is going to touch the Amy-Winehouse-is-only-attractive-to-chicks-who-dig-her-hair-comment, and b) how long i could possibly bite my tongue for.  :hdu:

I will do it so people can hate me a little more :usrs: . Amy had gorgeous eyes but was not pretty at all in my opinion. I also can't find a hair that is not washed for a week gorgeous sorry. Her hairdo on the other hand was and still is very fashionable and amazing tbh.

Her hairdo was a maniac trend. Still is cough Adele...cough really big beauty queen style Lana. Also Amy's eye makeup. The eye makeup Lana wears today was clearly based on a trend set by Amy. If Amy was pretty? No way. But she was, in my opinion, a very interesting ugly. And her talent, her voice, her personality was so magic and intense that on the stage she was the prettiest girl in the world. 

Amy was a huge fashionista, a trend setter, and maybe an icon. Music wise, clothes wise, hair and makeup wise. Amy's albuns, her music is one of those albuns that will transcend generations me thinks. Me also thinks that beauty is secondary and not relevant when the subject is Amy Winehouse. Me thinks Amy is above that. :hooker:

glgcDdT.gif

Amy wasn't an ugly girl by any standards - anyone who'd have paparazzi on their tail 24/7 (I found her house when I first visited London, paparazzi would literally be there all the time and that continued) and who'd have her kind of lifestyle would end up with a tonne of unattractive pictures. 

Amy-Winehouse-_1.jpg

(before the Back to Black style and big hair, this chick still digs her!) 

I wish Monicker would stop biting his tongue, since as a chick my argument isn't too convincing still. 

tumblr_n746y8etXI1qa35sao1_500.gif

Exactly, she was pretty in her own right- perhaps not conventionally so but- her drug habits did mess with her face. It is subjective though, there are people who think Lana is ugly. It shouldn't matter that much what a person looks like if you like the music, it's so silly to be shallow about stuff like that. I don't need to wanna fuck someone to listen to their stuff. The appearance can add to the aesthetic, but that's it. Everyone thinks you have to have a niche or some defining characteristic to make it in the pop industry today- Gaga, Katy, Adele all have very recognizable looks. But it's not entirely true- Carly Jepsen is more of a plain jane than the girl next door. So like- Lana's appearance and aesthetic are beautiful and add to the whole dramatics + theatricality of the music, but I wouldn't not listen to her if she looked like Honey Boo Boo's mom  :teehee:

*** People call me crazy but I'm in demand ***

I am wondering a) when someone is going to touch the Amy-Winehouse-is-only-attractive-to-chicks-who-dig-her-hair comment, and b) how long i could possibly bite my tongue for.  :hdu:

please go for it. please.

4d05b88473027157c69dadf2c058161f.jpg

Amy-Winehouse-_1.jpg

(before the Back to Black style and big hair, this chick still digs her!) 

This chickadee thinks AW was a beautiful woman despite the big hair.

I think you missed my point. But i'm still gonna bite my tongue, so whoever wants to go next...

And... go!

39150648115_3584eac590_o.png

Are you saying you're holding back sentiments in agreement or disagreement with that statement? I'm 99% sure it's the latter, so I guess it falls to me to offer a limited defense of Bestest's comments:

If beauty was definitive or that important we would never hear about Amy winehouse that was one ugly super talented chick.

Chill people. I think Amy W is outstanding, successful, fucking amazing musician. I get chicks dig her hair, her say style. I think is nice and cool also. But no one in this planet can convince me that Amy is pretty or sexy or anything close to that. Sorry.

I'm not going to defend the terms in which Bestest expressed his point of view, but I will defend his point of view because I agree with it. I've never found Amy Winehouse attractive. At all. I get that some guys probably do. I'm not one of them. However, I don't see how either opinion is relevant to an appreciation of her voice.

Regarding the original topic of this thread, I don't think Lana would be as well-liked or as hated if she didn't look the way she does.

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.

I'm not going to defend the terms in which Bestest expressed his point of view, but I will defend his point of view because I agree with it. I've never found Amy Winehouse attractive. At all. I get that some guys probably do. I'm not one of them. However, I don't see how either opinion is relevant to an appreciation of her voice.

Regarding the original topic of this thread, I don't think Lana would be as well-liked or as hated if she didn't look the way she does.

It's quite a difference of semantics, between finding someone unattractive and finding them ugly. It is for me, at least - someone mentioned Adele earlier for example, I don't find her attractive but she is certainly not ugly. Can think of plenty of examples. (I guess we're discussing this because the topic is about how much looks influence the amount of people who like an artist's music/their level of fame?)

tumblr_n746y8etXI1qa35sao1_500.gif

The issue (at least in what i was getting at) is not whether or not one finds Amy Winehouse attractive. Whatever one may think of her looks, that’s their opinion and that’s fine--i don’t think anyone needs to explain/defend their position or convince those who disagree. I just think the comment itself and the basis for making it is dismissive and insulting--to suggest that she can’t be attractive, that it’s merely her female fans calling her attractive because they like her music and they’re into her hair? That’s not only presumptuous, narrow-minded, and ridiculous, it’s also sexist. It just strikes me as a blatant refusal to consider anything but your own view--I think she’s ugly so if anyone thinks otherwise it’s probably for bogus reasons...or, you know, they’re just a chick liking another chick’s hair because that’s what chicks do. 

I think girls are a lot more sexist towards other girls than boys. Slut, whore, ugly and fat to me are girls words that boys borrow when they want to offend a girl in a way only another girl would know how. I also think that today beauty, in some extent, can be easily bought. Talent, inteligence, success and culture in the other hand you have to work at least a little for it.

glgcDdT.gif

I think girls are a lot more sexist towards other girls than boys. Slut, whore, ugly and fat to me are girls words that boys borrow when they want to offend a girl in a way only another girl would know how. I also think that today beauty, in some extent, can be easily bought. Talent, inteligence, success and culture in the other hand you have to work at least a little for it.

I think that's a blanket statement, I don't think I could disagree more. If anything, girls are indoctrinated with sexism from being brought up in a patriarchal society that puts straight, white men on a pedestal and puts minorities and women on a lower tier of importance and value.

Like- no offense, not trying to come for your wig or anything but it drives me crazy when people are like "This is what makes us girls is sooooo true omg, girls back stab etc etc" I mean it happens but some also value friendships and relationships like there doesn't have to be one or the other.

*** People call me crazy but I'm in demand ***

I think that's a blanket statement, I don't think I could disagree more. If anything, girls are indoctrinated with sexism from being brought up in a patriarchal society that puts straight, white men on a pedestal and puts minorities and women on a lower tier of importance and value.

Patriarchy actually doesn't benefit men as much as one would think tbh. It sets out a standard based mostly upon socially constructed gender roles. While this obviously takes power away from women as it expects them to be docile, submissive and homemakers when they may not want to be it also expects things from men. Men in a patriarchal society are expected to be masculine, often abrasive and the breadwinners of a family. It disallows men to express any kind of emotional sensitivity without being perceived as feminine. In conclusion, patriarchy kind of sucks for everyone.

4d05b88473027157c69dadf2c058161f.jpg

Like- no offense, not trying to come for your wig or anything but it drives me crazy when people are like "This is what makes us girls is sooooo true omg, girls back stab etc etc" I mean it happens but some also value friendships and relationships like there doesn't have to be one or the other.

Actually I hate that song. I have many girl friends and tbh I like Lana BESIDES such ridiculous comments not because of them. I can only talk for myself and my own experience with people around me but I dont feel like monority and I never felt like boys had any advantage over me at school or in any process that I have being through.

My cousin is gay and at least where I live my heterossexuals white brothers are minority tbh since Rio has so many gays. And yes girls are more cruel to other girls when it comes to hit ones character first of all we do know where hurts the most second that doesnt mean that girls dont know how to be friends with each other. And yes I think girls usually are more sexist than boys.

And you can come for my wig but only the blond one. The pink one we are gonna have to have a cat fight over it since I won't let her go easily. And yes I have colourful wigs at home

glgcDdT.gif

Patriarchy actually doesn't benefit men as much as one would think tbh. It sets out a standard based mostly upon socially constructed gender roles. While this obviously takes power away from women as it expects them to be docile, submissive and homemakers when they may not want to be it also expects things from men. Men in a patriarchal society are expected to be masculine, often abrasive and the breadwinners of a family. It disallows men to express any kind of emotional sensitivity without being perceived as feminine. In conclusion, patriarchy kind of sucks for everyone.

Yep. I was actually just reading an article about this yesterday. It wasn't very well written but the points were good. The whole power structure is, in a lot of ways, destructive for everyone. Gender is not solely a women's issue, it doesn't only oppress women. It's a two-sided coin, it confines both sexes. Similarly, sexism is not exclusively a male thing. The whole system needs to crumble. 

It disallows men to express any kind of emotional sensitivity without being perceived as feminine. 

'Cause we all know this is the worst possible thing a man could be perceived as: feminine.  :defeated:

tumblr_n0offys8zL1rhl4f0o1_400.gif
you're so art froggo, out on the pond…