Sign in to follow this  
WaitForLife

Reasons why Ultraviolence is a great album

Ultraviolence is a moody narco swing masterpiece 

When the album came out I didn't appreciate it because I was expecting a Born To Die sound. But over time and after many listens I finally understand Ultraviolence. I love what it represents as a whole album. I feel like Lana really had a vision from the lyrics and the videos. The funny thing is Honeymoon helped me to realize how wonderful Ultraviolence is. Honeymoon feels unfinished and like there wasn't a true vision with the album.

Basically, Ultraviolence is amazing 

Because it's her best record ever and she'll never be able to top it.

Unnecessary thread though.

I don't think this thread is unnecessary at all. If someone wants to talk about Ultraviolence then we can talk about it. No one is going to find the old Ultraviolence thread so who cares. It was more unnecessary for you to say that  :brows3:

I don't think this thread is unnecessary at all. If someone wants to talk about Ultraviolence then we can talk about it. No one is going to find the old Ultraviolence thread so who cares. It was more unnecessary for you to say that  :brows3:

It was unnecessary because UV gets a lot of praise here lol and the UV thread is easy to find if you click on the News section

One over-the-top statement, with many spelling and grammatical errors :teehee: :

Ultraviolence is strong, intense, deep, versatile, it quivers in fury, sadness, ecstasy, despair, longing and every other emotion from the spectrum. It has spikes, thorns, explosions and fire, but also ocean, blood, tears, honey, and stars. It is built from contradictions and numerous contrasts and layers. And I adore its rawness and shamelesness. An album with heart and soul, but also with balls and guts.

Also, entering the world of Ultraviolence is like being bombarded and electroshocked with ultimatelly sincere and dismantling passion, and bathed in razorblades of heartwrenching anger and vengeful inclinations. It is pure, bold, gorgeous, shocking and soul-stirring emotional striptease and psychological crucifiction with spastic waves of dying and resurrection, and while Lana roars, moans, screams and begs on her blood-rose throne of lonely queen, I can feel her sonic teeth peeling my skin to the stellar schrapnels. Those dirty, desert rock, psychedelic ayahuasca noises and harmonies like skelletons in her psychic wardrobe catapult the listener in the land of rust, smoke and balsamic soul whispers. It is rudimentary tectonic disturbance, avalanche of tears, lust, avid greed and bitchy, yet sophisticated and aristocratic proud. It is desolate kingdom of lava and hurricane mist, while Lana weeps angelically and diabolically in her ivory tower, only to descend to opulent, decadent and rainbowish realm of hippy druggies, salacious feathers, pearls that symbolize innocence, luxury and device of choking – which is the crime lovers do.

Ultra is the weapon of her inflamed, crazed, obsessed mind and hounted, exalted emotions that floods all the floors of our mental pagodas, and drives us in hallucinant frenzy of sepia, sunblinded seventies and ghostlike merging of fairy, narcotic voice with opiumish, twang guitars. I can feel myself floating above the field full of poppies in July, bathed in golden ash, or on the indigo crests of growling, mystical ocean. Burning pyres of Cruel World and West Coast collide with sublime and celestial Shades Of Cool, and velvety, scarlet Sad Girl transfuses into textured, exuberant tar black despair and delusion of Pretty When You Cry.

She chants radiantly, dramatically and unwroughtly about her stabbed heart and galactic sadness, the siren song that rips and slits open our intestines in its intensity and tragedy, and she is furious, invincible and resolute dragoness who eats all of her peers for breakfast, because her own intimate garden of diamond mind, desires and dreams, although idiosyncratic, just pukes rubies, sapphires and amethysts  in all its splendour, seducing us and making us her slave. She is not abundant, talkative, logoreic Lolita from Off To The Races (although I adore that song), with lyrics oversaturated with rich images, but purified, consolidated witch that carefully chooses her words, still powerful and image-evoking, yet charged with harsh, unapologetic statement that colors the whole song in enchanting atmosphere of very specific emotion and message. She is sorceress surfing on the crimson waves of this catharctic oeuvre, where all the suppressed anxieties and explosive ferocities and darkest sorrows spill over like a tsunami and overwhelm us in the symphony of senses.

She, the lisergic acid mistress, drives us to indulge Mojave Peyote of her soul, being volcanic concubine and infusing us with fever and tempest. Sonically, the album is splendid fatamorgana that shines in all hues of the cosmos, revealing chameleon-like transformations of her soul, her violent mood swings and her experience that transformed her from ingenue and naive nymphet to real girl-woman of flesh and blood, goddess that has his earthly avatar and operates in her black chandelier tears, poisonous drives and nuclear loves for badasses with heroin boiling in their veins. But, her own mind is heroin and LSD, she doesn't need nightmarish mountains of vices to be wild, crazy and opalescent. Deranged, divine, stroboscopic and virulent melodies full of cuts and pulsations from devil within challenge us to reveal our own „sick to the bones“ state of mind. Ultraviolence chanteuse is cursed Persephone that three quaerters of the year spends in Hell milking the muses in that torture garden, but pain brings only best from her, leaving golden wounds and diamond scars behind, to shine in heaven like neon illumination.

UV is a vestibule to her inner turmoils and psychic gargoyles, a battlefield of conflicted emotions and a minefield to those who seek only dead calm of solace, idyll and harmony of tame, jazzy songs; its grungy, dirty, raw and aggressive sound bites polished, cinematic raffinement yet is transcended through gloomy, sepulchral or ethereal parts and pieces.

It is cathedral of sensual, fireworkish excess and aloof remoteness of a lonely eremite, fiery delirium and deepest melancholia, mirroring broken dreams and reflections upon doomed relationships with tyrants and sadists, but those memories are bittersweet because she is bended, masochistic tragic heroine and omnipotent empress at the same time. She rises out the ashes like Phoenix and that colossal moment of alchemic transformation pushes us into the mesmeric vertigo of album's epic, monumental experience. Phantasmagoric, orgasmic, devastating and leaving you with eternal, vampire thirst for more, more and more.

---------

I already see "get a life" comments. I don't hate Honeymoon, I think it is gorgeous, mature, multilayered, very sophisticated and deep, but I just unwinded myself here, because UV is my favourite darling. I love fire and water, and UV is abundant with those elements, while the water of Honeymoon is too diluted with apathetic air. But, that is just my own subjective opinion, and, above all, feeling.

And, I rarelly write on the boards, so I overcompensated here.

tumblr_nbg6blFb0d1trud11o2_250.gif1e5408c919ff19d8ea5d8b3240bf67ed.jpggiphy.gif