Trash Magic

Dua Lipa

how is this relevant especially considering neither Serbia nor Kosovo have any chance of joining the EU anytme soon

I was just referencing what has been going on in the UK over the past few years as this is where Dua lives.

I don’t recall where Serbia is in regard to negotiations to join the EU. Kosovo is a whole different situation when it comes to potential EU membership.

if you want to state a parallelism, the situation with kosovo is similar to that with israel and palestine (there are differences of course because europe and the middle east are different but i mean the overall situation is quite the same)

giphy.gif

I was just referencing what has been going on in the UK over the past few years as this is where Dua lives.

I don’t recall where Serbia is in regard to negotiations to join the EU. Kosovo is a whole different situation when it comes to potential EU membership.

Serbia won’t be able to join the EU as long as the Kosovo conflict exists, the EU-counties don’t even agree on Kosovo and it’s unlikely they’ll reach a consensus before Serbia does, it’s kind of a North Macedonia issue but without one part of it in the EU already.

The only exception is Cyprus and that’s only because there’s little to no chance of any EU member ever acknowledging Northern Cyprus as legitimate.

while yeah dua lives in the uk i doubt their politics have much to do with this. with her being part of the balkan diaspora it doesn’t surprise me that she’s very “connected” to her ancestral home but yeah whatever concept of “greater” *any south eastern european country* is kind of a bit of a messy concept and shouldnt have been posted by her, there’s other ways to support kosovo if she wants to do that (which she obviously seems to be trying to achieve)

i76mrxw.png 

if you want to state a parallelism, the situation with kosovo is similar to that with israel and palestine (there are differences of course because europe and the middle east are different but i mean the overall situation is quite the same)

i don’t think that’s a very good comparison because their situation is and was so different that it’s almost hard to compare these two except for the fact that it’s a conflict of independence and between two countries and has something to do with territorial, ethical or autonomous claims of independence.

Kosovo is more like Taiwan in that regard but even that is a very bad comparison.

i76mrxw.png 

i don’t think that’s a very good comparison because their situation is and was so different that it’s almost hard to compare these two except for the fact that it’s a conflict of independence and between two countries and has something to do with territorial, ethical or autonomous claims of independence.

Kosovo is more like Taiwan in that regard but even that is a very bad comparison.

yeah i know, i meant it more in the sense of being illegitimate state and unrecognized by other countries and stuff (which is what happens with kosovo, most part of the balkans don't recognize it as its own thing), also i think the map she shared was hitler's vision of the balkans too (if i remember correctly from what i was told some time ago)

giphy.gif

also i think the map she shared was hitler's vision of the balkans too (if i remember correctly from what i was told some time ago)

Yeah the map references the idea of the Great Albania territory back on WWII, that's why there's some people calling her out the most from what I've gathered.

It doesn't surprise me that she's a nationalist, also apparently her grandfather was the head of the Kosovo Institute of History, so I'm sure that she didn't posted out of ignorance or something.

It's one of those situations where whatever your stance is you're gonna get mixed reactions at best.

8nl2OpX.png

Yeah the map references the idea of the Great Albania territory back on WWII, that's why there's some people calling her out the most from what I've gathered.It doesn't surprise me that she's a nationalist, also apparently her grandfather was the head of the Kosovo Institute of History, so I'm sure that she didn't posted out of ignorance or something.

It's one of those situations where whatever your stance is you're gonna get mixed reactions at best.

I didn’t know that about her grandfather. I had been following her career since day one and this is the first so have heard of this.

She has a lot of fans in Albania, Kosovo and Bosnia and Herzegovina. This IG post is obviously designed for that part of her fan base.

I am a history nerd and have studied this region a lot. All in all, Dua is playing politics here. I know she really does care about the cause though. She’s very close to her family so the whole Kosovo situation is personal for her.

Yeah the map references the idea of the Great Albania territory back on WWII, that's why there's some people calling her out the most from what I've gathered.

It doesn't surprise me that she's a nationalist, also apparently her grandfather was the head of the Kosovo Institute of History, so I'm sure that she didn't posted out of ignorance or something.

so it turns out i was right when i call out her vision and ideas on politics

I didn’t know that about her grandfather. I had been following her career since day one and this is the first so have heard of this.

She has a lot of fans in Albania, Kosovo and Bosnia and Herzegovina. This IG post is obviously designed for that part of her fan base.

I am a history nerd and have studied this region a lot. All in all, Dua is playing politics here. I know she really does care about the cause though. She’s very close to her family so the whole Kosovo situation is personal for her.

she has already done a few things like this in the past tho, like back in 2018 she supported a football player that celebrated a goal by making the double headed eagle with his hands so...

giphy.gif

yeah i know, i meant it more in the sense of being illegitimate state and unrecognized by other countries and stuff (which is what happens with kosovo, most part of the balkans don't recognize it as its own thing), also i think the map she shared was hitler's vision of the balkans too (if i remember correctly from what i was told some time ago)

saying this is hitler’s vision of the balkan for the current day situation is like saying the existence and borders of the czech republic, slowakia and poland are stalin’s vision of central europe.

i76mrxw.png 

saying this is hitler’s vision of the balkan for the current day situation is like saying the existence and borders of the czech republic, slowakia and poland are stalin’s vision of central europe.

but the thing is that it was and you can't change or erase that part of history

giphy.gif

Obviously posting a map of "Greater Albania" is problematic no matter which way you look at it. But after everything the people from this region have been through – and Dua's family literally having to run away and move to the UK – I can't say I'm too surprised. National identity plays a very different role in the former Yugoslavian countries compared to your typical western European country, and Serbia still not recognising Kosovo's independence doesn't exactly help. Overall the situation simply isn't as black and white as some seem to think, so I wish people would do some research before jumping on Twitter and calling her a literal Nazi.

73-wigglytuffhiya.gif

This is very much a political question and Dua’s position is to be expected.

I live in the United States and our government recognized Kosovo as a sovereign and independent nation a few days after their independence in 2008. George W. Bush was the President back then. Barack Obama also recognized Kosovo as independent. In the eyes of the US Department of State, Kosovo is recognized as sovereign. Other countries don’t recognize Kosovo as being independent though. You can look up a list of who recognizes Kosovo and who doesn’t.

As for Albanian nationalism, my country (the United States) have never endorsed Kosovo and Albania becoming one nation.

As for Dua’s post, it does kind of suggest creating a nation along ethnic lines. So you can call that nationalism.

The world will buy it

but none from Serbia, Macedonia or Greece will

No one wants to cede land, so this is why I support EU membership for those states.

Serbia knows that they can’t get Kosovo back but they want to be in the EU. Hopefully Kosovo gets in too which should help cool some tempers.

North Macedonia recently changed their name to keep Greece happy which helped them to join NATO which in turn will help EU negotiations.

And Greece, they will never give up land to Albania. Look no further than the dispute they had with Macedonia, which is now North Macedonia.