Trash Magic

Dua Lipa

Agreed. I'm still utterly SHOOK that her team are getting everything so perfectly right, especially considering the global circumstances and also keeping in mind how things were going up until New Rules finally smashed.

As for Future Nostalgia, I know it's too early to say that, but I can really imagine people referencing this era for years to come, and I don't think comparisons with the likes of Confessions On A Dance Floor, Love. Angel. Music. Baby., Fever, The Fame (Monster) etc. are too far-fetched. This whole era really is a masterclass in how it's done.

a lot of people have been applauding her and the weeknd for these eras rollouts. its nice to see an artist keeping an album relevant post release. it seems the moment the album drops its time to move on and maybe one post release single hits the charts nowadays 

Levitating Remix ft. Madonna & Missy Elliott!

49093006537_7ae76bb4ce_o.jpg

• 4.18.14 • 5.1.14 • 9.20.14 • 5.28.15 • 6.14.15 • 7.28.16 • 7.24.17 • 10.23.17 • 10.24.17 • 1.25.18 • 2.5.18 • 12.5.18 • 10.3.19 • 10.11.19 • 11.16.19 •

SF • ATL • ATL • IND • ATL • CHI • LDN • NYC • NYC • DC • ATL • NYC • PDX • SAN • KS

Issa bop! And wow, Madonna sounds incredible, and Missy's verse is fire!

This being said, the production isn't quite what I was hoping für. I get that it's a club remix, but it's just too monotonous for me, and more importantly, it sort of strips Levitating of the fun and energetic vibe that made it my favourite Future Nostalgia track in the first place. But thankfully the fans have already been working hard:

73-wigglytuffhiya.gif

This remix had All the potential.. She got Madonna AND Missy Elliot on the song, with Madonna serving confessions vocals. If they kept the original tempo and the beat had more variation it would’ve been such a serve. They basically got rid of a lot of things that made me love Levitating. Also the cover on Spotify is horrible I hope that’s not the actual album cover I thought that was just a quick edit to announce the album.. The Apple Music one’s cute tho. She’s been serving nonstop this era, but this was not it.

qfrWuBl.png

Like pretty much everything Future Nostalgia related I dig the ideas behind the record and very talented and skilled people sure are working on the project... But the execution is lacking in some respect. I LOVE the idea for the remix, it's not merely "club" as in DJ Snake but club as in, 70s-80s. I though that for Levitating they would pick a disco edge, given the original track's fun and synth-rich sound, but I really really like this groovy 80s rnb hip hop flavour. That's what 80s club means. It's so fitting to have Madonna on this, that's the kind of sound that brought her to fame. A mise en abyme.

Now the execution... If you want to get groovy you have to GET groovy... And it is at first fair enough, but like you've already mentioned it gets repetitive, the bass is a bit too discrete ; I think what might've helped is adding some very gaudy and RnB synth in the chorus and the outro's breakdown, to sprinkle in some diversity, energy and 80s throwback, instead of these ugly daft punk male voices that don't really add anything even aesthetically speaking. I like the mindset behind the project but we will need to hear more tbh.