BlueJeans

Leitmotivs in Lana's Discography

They're all great, the way that Lana sort of built her own universe with its own recurring themes. But what I was planning to do was to collect musical bits that are re-used in other songs (some of what you wrote about fits that !).

So yeah, but let's talk about those, too, I mean who's willing to do a count for "red dress" and "daddy" :creep: 

MDM-Lanaboards-Banner.jpg

Heart Shaped Chevrolet, 1949, Hawaiian Tropic and Daytonah Meth all have lyrics and melodies that are used in Every Man Gets His Wish.

Match Made In Heaven contains a lot of lyrics and melody-elements she later put into Ghetto Baby.

St. Tropez and Puppy Love use the same "One - two - three - four" vocal sample.

The melody of Freak's "Come To California" and Florida Kilos' "Come On Down To Florida"-lines sound very similar-

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

OMG I just discovered now ( while compiling my tracklist of LDRs songs arranged according to different decades : http://lanaboards.com/index.php?/topic/6090-fake-funky-track-lists-for-upcoming-honeymoon-album/?p=317730 ) that Hit and Run ( Version 2) chorus can be swapped with the chorus of High By The Beach. Try singing the chorus of Hit and Run over HBTB instrumental or vice versa and you can see for yourself :).....Someone needs to mashup these two songs :crying:

PS: Both the choruses have a duration of 14 second. The melodies play out in a different key but I feel the chord progression is the same. I'm no musical expert or anything. Just really excited about the connection between these two songs. It's like I discovered a hidden treasure lol (but I'm probably just reaching cuz I love both these songs just a little too much )

All I wanna do is get high by the beach

( Hit it and run, Let's hit it and run )

Get high by the beach, get high

( Hit it and run the world. )

All I wanna do is get by by the beach

( Hit it and run, Baby, hit it and run )

Get by baby, baby, bye, bye

( Hit it and run the world.)

Lol I finally figured out what I was trying to say.

Imagine the choruses of both the songs like puzzle pieces.

You can take them out from their original home (puzzle) and swap them into each others home.

Then sing those swapped choruses in style of the melody of the home song.

For example : Try singing Hit And Run chorus in the style of the sleepy toned HBTB chorus.

Or HBTB chorus in the style of H&R chorus.

Anyways sorry for the long rant lol XD

Sorry for posting all those lyrical parallels, didn't realise you only meant melodies. Oops!

Anyway, the melody at the end of each line in the bridge of Honeymoon sounds similar to a line from Brooklyn Baby.

...guns that blaze around you

...fire that surrounds you

...neither fought nor found you

(almost a recycled version of "And my jazz collection's rare...")

1. The bridge of "Ghetto Baby" samples the chorus of "Match Made in Heaven".

"We're a match made in heaven,

If they're gonna talk, let 'em.

If they don't think we're good together,

Baby, just forget 'em......"

2. The melody at the very end of "24" is the melody Lana would sing at the end of her live performances of "Million Dollar Man".

"Hundred Dollar Bill" and "You Can Be The Boss" are like two-headed cobra or two twin orchids on one stalk, it´s almost eerie (chorus). :) And "Diet Mt Dew" is their jovial, freckled cousin with all the same gestures (rhythm, melody of the chorus and overall tone of lazy, steamy, golden summer), but higher and more gamesome, multifarious voice. :flutter:

tumblr_nbg6blFb0d1trud11o2_250.gif1e5408c919ff19d8ea5d8b3240bf67ed.jpggiphy.gif

Another one I just remembered...

In Art Deco, Lana says "you want more... why? why? why?"

The "why?" melody is extremely similar to the intro of Born to Die. So similar many people think it is a sample. What do you think?

The "why?" melody is extremely similar to the intro of Born to Die. So similar many people think it is a sample. What do you think?

Yes you're right, I remember lots of us talking about it when AD came out 

I always thought that vocal is taken from Born to Die but now you mention it it does.

So yeah, but let's talk about those, too, I mean who's willing to do a count for "red dress" and "daddy" :creep:

I remember someone here made a web about that, it was like, you typed a word and it say how many times Lana had said it in her songs, can't remember where it is, did anyone save it?

tumblr_mthwqtumEQ1r7oj7fo1_250.giftumblr_mthwqtumEQ1r7oj7fo2_250.giftumblr_mthwqtumEQ1r7oj7fo4_250.gif

Apart from Carmen being one of my favourite songs on BTD (and Lana's overall discography possibly), with incredible, story-telling lyrics and instrumentation, I can't help but notice that it has a leitmotif of its own that runs throughout the track.

The melody that Lana sings in the line 'Darlin', darlin', doesn't have a problem' is repeated throughout the track if you listen carefully, on various instruments including the cello, piano, harp and even glockenspiel,

and seems to tie the track together and almost mimic the darkness of the lyrics in catchy, beautiful way.

Does anyone else understand what I'm getting at or am I just crazy?? 

Apart from Carmen being one of my favourite songs on BTD (and Lana's overall discography possibly), with incredible, story-telling lyrics and instrumentation, I can't help but notice that it has a leitmotif of its own that runs throughout the track.

The melody that Lana sings in the line 'Darlin', darlin', doesn't have a problem' is repeated throughout the track if you listen carefully, on various instruments including the cello, piano, harp and even glockenspiel,

and seems to tie the track together and almost mimic the darkness of the lyrics in catchy, beautiful way.

Does anyone else understand what I'm getting at or am I just crazy?? 

and... most of the tracks lyrics are repeated, almost mimicked on instruments if you listen to the instrumental. OMG it's so clever!!

MTWBT/Sad Girl is the strongest one imo

When MTWBT showed up I couldn't listen to Sad Girl without starting singing it with "Pink flamingos..."

The first time I did this accidentally in the bathroom was the time I flipped the fuck out :hide:

I was so suprised

butterflies-gif-2.giflana-dancing-smaller.gif

Delicious has many lines directly from Caught You Boy (or reverse, idk which one was recorded first)

My, my apple of my eye

I think you're really hot

And I want you to be mine

I like the way the bling on your pinky ring shine

[...]

My, my think you're really fly

Don't look at all the other girls

Bye bye

[...]

I'm free and I'm fresh and I'm fun

I'm wild as can be and I want, want you boy

I want you boy