LDRO

Instagram Updates

If she sings a protest song it'll probably be something by Joan Baez

Tbh it's a bit problematic for a white woman to sing a protest song about the civil rights era and the experiences people of color faced, but I'd be here for any political references on the new album

Exactly this! We don't need a situation like when Annie Lennox covered Strange Fruit. An interviewer asked her what the song was about and she said that the theme was "universal" and she didn't even mention racism or lynching... truly an embarrassing mess.

I would totally be here for a Joan Baez cover tho. She should cover Prison Trilogy, especially this verse is important: 

"Luna was a Mexican the law called an alien

For coming across the border with a baby and a wife

Though the clothes upon his back were wet

Still he thought that he could get

Some money and things to start a life"

I AM MY ONLY GOD

We don't need a situation like when Annie Lennox covered Strange Fruit. An interviewer asked her what the song was about and she said that the theme was "universal" and she didn't even mention racism or lynching... truly an embarrassing mess.

I had a hard time understanding this mess tbh, like, Strange Fruit's lyrics were written by a white college professor so ? I think this anecdote, the collaboration between Billie & Meeropol in itself, sends an important message.

I get the "universal" thing she meant ; however, truly, that was not by far a smart way to phrase it, especially in times when there is still so much to do, and more everyday, sadly.

I want her to record with Joan Baez :crying: 

Honestly I'd be down for a political album. HM was a lovely album but it was so typically Lana. I'd love for her to explore some different themes, and get inside her mind a bit more about the real world. I love how her music acts as an escape but some of her best songs in my opinion, like Old Money, Ride and so on, all came from very real experiences and feelings, and I'd totally love for her to channel that into political songs, if they're written carefully.

And when I say political songs, I don't mean songs that literally reference politics or political figures or policies or anything. Lana has a way with creating vibrant stories of suffering and desperation, I think she would be able to create some songs that are from the perspectives of different people, or highlight different issues or ideas without being explicitly political, if that makes sense. It's possible to make political songs without spelling out that it's a political song.

I could so see her doing a song with some sort of JFK lyric.

Either way I'm excited to see what she's got in store with this next album. If her Instagram posts are an indication of anything, I don't think it'd be too far off to wonder if she's going to make a political album. After all, Eclipse did say that the lyrics on the songs he's heard are very "different" to what she's done before, so anything's possible, right? It'd be a bit unusual for Lana to do something like this but at the same time, it has been odd how she has taken so much longer to create and release material from this new album compared to her last ones. Perhaps she's trying something new out and wants it to be perfect and that's why she's taking her time? Who knows? At this point in her career she needs to do something fresh and even groundbreaking otherwise she is going to lose so so many more fans that she already lost with the HM era. I know that Lana's pretty relaxed and doesn't want to be all over the place like Taylucifer Swift but I'm sure that she at least cares about keeping the fans she already has. 

I dont think she would ever risk her career by doing a political album. I'm happy she's more outspoken now during this important timebut has she ever sang about anything but love on any of her albums/unreleased ?

giphy.gif

Really happy to see her posting about all this stuff, political album or not these things obviously make her soul vibrate and we all know it's what she needs to create good music. I'm sure the energy she's putting in this is going to stand out in any way. Even if it's just one more interview. I'm fine with that, I just love to see her active

ZKcaooE.png

I love Lana so much, i just want her to release music. Political songs or not, she's got the fire. More passion in her songs than any other current artist tbh. She is a godsend. (omg i sound like i'm in a cult---> is this forum a cult---> is Lana our cult leader---> does Lana still have a cult leader---> why am i so obsessed with Lana---> what's wrong with me---> actually im fine with being this obsessed)

tumblr_ow8qt6vZl01w30flno1_1280.jpg

unpopular opinion here, but i DON'T want a political album from Lana. every time she even remotely touched a political or social theme in interviews, results were awkward at best & downright disastrous at worst. and a couple of citations on instagram aren't enough to convince me that she now has a nuanced & in-depth understanding of politics, in any case not one warranting a political album. lbr, she's white, upper-class & presumably straight; considering this + what i said before, she'd probably just be setting herself up for a world of hurt. and we all know how homegirl deals with harsh criticism.

unpopular opinion here, but i DON'T want a political album from Lana. every time she even remotely touched a political or social theme in interviews, results were awkward at best & downright disastrous at worst. and a couple of citations on instagram aren't enough to convince me that she now has a nuanced & in-depth understanding of politics, in any case not one warranting a political album. lbr, she's white, upper-class & presumably straight; considering this + what i said before, she'd probably just be setting herself up for a world of hurt. and we all know how homegirl deals with harsh criticism.

you make a good point. even so, i hope lana explores other themes in her new work. i liked "honeymoon" but, at times, it's soporific, and there's only so much you can elaborate on repetitive subjects. writing in another frequency could be stimulating for her. she's always questioned reality, not just metaphysically, and she's as accute an observer as she is occasionally solipsistic. i think this change in her songwriting could be interesting: she admires many musicians, as well as writers, that have been able to express both broader and/or more singular experiences beyond their own. i'm not saying she should totally abandon her more personal, introspective lyrics, not at all, but if she is really inspired and moved by what's going on, i think she could write songs from different perspectives, capturing the zeitgeist, or maybe with a combination of imagination and an informed point of view, she could compose songs putting herself not in someone else's shoes, but trying to truly imagine through a profound empathy, how she would feel, as an "other" (which, in a certain sense, she has felt). protest songs can be existential and not explicitly political. it's a difficult, artistically (perhaps commercially) risky feat, but if done right, as she is lana del rey, she could reach a pop audience that could really benefit from awareness and compassion. the time is right for this shift, in my opinion, but i don't know...i'm rambling and in need of caffeine to help articulate my thoughts ;)

you make a good point. even so, i hope lana explores other themes in her new work. i liked "honeymoon" but, at times, it's soporific, and there's only so much you can elaborate on repetitive subjects. writing in another frequency could be stimulating for her. she's always questioned reality, not just metaphysically, and she's as accute an observer as she is occasionally solipsistic. i think this change in her songwriting could be interesting: she admires many musicians, as well as writers, that have been able to express both broader and/or more singular experiences beyond their own. i'm not saying she should totally abandon her more personal, introspective lyrics, not at all, but if she is really inspired and moved by what's going on, i think she could write songs from different perspectives, capturing the zeitgeist, or maybe with a combination of imagination and an informed point of view, she could compose songs putting herself not in someone else's shoes, but trying to truly imagine through a profound empathy, how she would feel, as an "other" (which, in a certain sense, she has felt). protest songs can be existential and not explicitly political. it's a difficult, artistically (perhaps commercially) risky feat, but if done right, as she is lana del rey, she could reach a pop audience that could really benefit from awareness and compassion. the time is right for this shift, in my opinion, but i don't know...i'm rambling and in need of caffeine to help articulate my thoughts ;)

i like the way you think & i agree, she needs new themes. i also think a metaphysical or existential perspective would be more appropriate (and in a way "safer") for her, because it's highly individual & also something she's always shown a genuine interest in. an overtly political album would imo almost certainly feel contrived (precisely because she admittedly prefers / feels more comfortable thinking about the intangible than mundane subjects), but something like you're describing could actually be quite good.

Whenever I get perplexed at LDR's Instagrams I go to Taylor Swift's Instagram for possible clarification (I actually like Taylor, but as LDR is the antiSwift, I sometimes think their actions can be coordinated). So I'm wondering if #idontwannaliveforever has anything to do with LDR's recent stemcell organ-harvesting interest.