LDRO

Instagram Updates

the articles (guardian article) aren't really bad so let me celebrate this glimpse of hope after having a meltdown for like 4 hrs after i had the best morning for a brief 30 minutes when i saw the screenshot of her album announcement first 

photo-3686.jpg?_r=1567819386

i76mrxw.png 

I don’t want to get too much into this argument, but systemic racism doesn’t happen to white people, but white people can and do experience racist remarks and beliefs like any other person of any race. Racism is not exclusive to any one certain people. Prejudice is defined to include racism, sexism, ageism, etc with a negative idea of other people based without facts. You don’t have to believe it, but it’s not about belief, it’s about the definition of what makes racist people, racist. Racism is defined as the belief that one race is superior than another. And in saying white people cannot experience racism, is almost racist in a way. Think about Hitler— he hated Jews, who were a mix between Mediterranean and white. Some were basic white, others darker. But he hated them all the same, based off of a stereotype based off of nothing. That is prejudicial racism. Which is racism, nonetheless.

Anyone of any race can experience anything. Its how you perceive it that matters. Some become racist by experiencing racism. “He called me a ____ but i’m better than them because everyone i know within my race doesn’t act like that. I hate them.” It’s a selfish ideology that one is better or superior based off of race, no matter the race. Hatred grows and racism follows.

It’s just like saying men cannot experience sexism. SYSTEMATIC sexism, yes, you’d be correct. But that does not mean that men in society do not experience sexism. There’s plenty of evidence that supports the fact that men can and do experience sexism, as women can. Women face more sexist struggles than men do within the system. BUT, women can be just as bad as men when it comes to a superiority complex than insights anger, hate, manipulation, etc.

Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk

^^^^^^ Thank you lol

HOLY  :O

They are dragging Lana in this website which is a predominately African American website. 

https://www.lipstickalley.com/threads/lana-del-rey-posts-a-rant-on-ig-after-learning-about-other-female-artists-topping-the-charts.3529987/

giphy.gif

There are a lot of good points raised here that give me a different perspective to it. Do I think that she should be gagged from speaking her opinion because she is in a privileged position? No. Is it very tone deaf? Yes. Is she attacking these artists? No, I don't think she. She is criticising the misogynistic systems and cultural landscape that has only now let women find success and be heard not vilified for expressing their feelings and experiences where they don't have to sit on the fence of shrink themselves to be perceived in a way that is palatable.

I think there are a million ways to cut this and unfortunately most of them will place Lana in a bad light because there are so many points that touch on race and privilege and people are just done with celebrities having an opinion on anything currently.

"It's 2011, and we should all be aware of exactly how fast technology is developing" - Lana Del Rey

I don’t want to get too much into this argument, but systemic racism doesn’t happen to white people, but white people can and do experience racist remarks and beliefs like any other person of any race. Racism is not exclusive to any one certain people. Prejudice is defined to include racism, sexism, ageism, etc with a negative idea of other people based without facts. You don’t have to believe it, but it’s not about belief, it’s about the definition of what makes racist people, racist. Racism is defined as the belief that one race is superior than another. And in saying white people cannot experience racism, is almost racist in a way. Think about Hitler— he hated Jews, who were a mix between Mediterranean and white. Some were basic white, others darker. But he hated them all the same, based off of a stereotype based off of nothing. That is prejudicial racism. Which is racism, nonetheless.

Anyone of any race can experience anything. Its how you perceive it that matters. Some become racist by experiencing racism. “He called me a ____ but i’m better than them because everyone i know within my race doesn’t act like that. I hate them.” It’s a selfish ideology that one is better or superior based off of race, no matter the race. Hatred grows and racism follows.

It’s just like saying men cannot experience sexism. SYSTEMATIC sexism, yes, you’d be correct. But that does not mean that men in society do not experience sexism. There’s plenty of evidence that supports the fact that men can and do experience sexism, as women can. Women face more sexist struggles than men do within the system. BUT, women can be just as bad as men when it comes to a superiority complex than insights anger, hate, manipulation, etc.

You really quoted my (a black woman's) post with paragraphs explaining how you can, in fact, be racist towards white people. And you're still wrong. Yikes...

I will try and stay out of this. Does anyone know anything specific recently that prompted this? I thought as time went on Lana got more respect and less shit from people. Why is she having this outburst? I understand what she means using artists as examples and not calling them out but if one of those artists doesn't get that a holy war has just been declared. I may hide under my covers. (This is me keeping out of it)

Reading the first line again, it really is hilarious that Doja Cat (a protege of Dr. Luke), Ariana (a white woman that purposely purports herself as mixed), Camila (a reality tv contestant and bona fide racist), Cardi B (a stripper turned reality tv personality turned rapper), Kehalni (boring) have not had to face the same rocky trajectory as an actual musician who has never done anything other than be authentic to herself and followed her own artistic inclinations so strongly.

All the artists she listed, particularly Nicki, Doja, Cardi, and Beyonce have faced constant harassment for their art, rape threats, and racially motivated threats. Remember all the lynching threats thrown at Beyonce when she spoke and sang and made art about police violence and visually referenced the black panthers? You probably don't, because you're clearly not interested in the struggles faced by black women artists. Being ignorant is one thing, but this is ridiculous. 

locals only

You really quoted my (a black woman's) post with paragraphs explaining how you can, in fact, be racist towards white people. And you're still wrong. Yikes...

I’m explaining the difference between systemic racism and prejudicial racism. You can ignore my post as much as you like, it doesn’t change the fact of the matter.

It’s not about belief if you think you can or cannot be racist towards white people, but you can continue to be wrong and that’s okay. Ive given you an explanation about racism. For all you know, I could be black, hispanic, Asian, and still be making the same point.

Anyways, have a good day.

giphy.gif

if i fuck this model and she just bleached her asshole and i get bleach on my t-shirt, imma feel like an asshole

As a black woman, this statement doesn’t sit right with me. I don’t know how to feel about this. I’m just really disturbed by the amount of Lana stans that are like “wow she’s gonna get dragged for this lol ppl are stupid” without being empathetic or even considering why people feel the way they feel. At the moment, black twitter is ripping her to shreds, as they should, bcus this statement just screams of white feminism.

edit: and yes I know she has gotten backlash in the day, but why would you even include Beyoncé who has constantly been criticized by the whole of America since she even set foot on the music scene? ion know man just seeing that post that tries to “explain” why she did this, and dismissing the people who are critiquing it by saying that they’re young.....even if so, that doesn’t explain her bitterness towards the artists she mentions, which are mostly woc (and weird she mentioned kehlani when she never had a #1). and to say that there’s a place for girls like her in feminism too? Lana....vulnerable white women have always been at the forefront of feminism, with girls like Doja and Kehlani not even being considered.

Like I said, I don’t know how to feel. Seeing the reactions on this site, her subreddit, and even popheads just reminds me how lonely I feel as a black woman that has her as one of my musical inspirations. Yes, I want to be a singer-songwriter (this is the first time I’ve kinda publicly declared this without shame), and she’s one of the many artists that inspire me. I wish I could feel excited for the album, but I’m too sad too. I don’t feel seen and this statement just shows that she doesn’t care much about woc issues at all. I have to leave here for a bit.

edit 2: also for that person who tried to act as if Beyoncé wasn’t as criticized (if not even MORE) as Lana, literally there were whole police units who boycotted to protect her. pls lol.

edit 3: her having to add kehlani in there when she never got a #1......I don’t want to say the implications of that but....ugh ion know y’all. I need to process this

You are confusing racism and sexism with prejudice, dude. It's not the same thing. 

There is no such thing as reverse racism or reverse sexism. Racism and sexism require an element of power, which people of colour and women do not hold. 

This is a discussion for another thread, however. 

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

If any of the artists she mentioned speak out against Lana then I’m sorry but they’re dumb af, all she’s done is say “they’re doing it so why can’t I,” she hasn’t bad mouthed anyone in the slightest and if anyone takes it that way then they need to grow up

giphy.gif

the gp used to don't care about her, but now they actually hate her.

facepalm6.gif  facepalm6.gif  facepalm6.gif  facepalm6.gif  facepalm6.gif  facepalm6.gif

we're back to born to die... will pitchfork be this decade's NME for lana? can someone bring back fearne cotton's bbc radio 1 payola.. we need all the support we can get 

i76mrxw.png 

I feel like the reason this is getting a lot of backlash is because a lot of stan twitter etc today are too young and were not around in 2012/12 maybe even 2014 when Lana was getting absolutely fucking hounded by the media. It was really quite unusual and unprecedented. I don't think Ive ever seen such a vicious response to an artist since it happened to Lana. You might say that these other artists have faced criticism as well but it was nowhere near the amount Lana faced by literal mainstream publications back in the day. There was a site called Hipster Runoff which was really quite popular in the music world which literally changed its name to Lana Del Report and spent most of its time making fun of her appearance, her persona, her music, trying to completely destroy the poor girl. And let's not forget the reviews of Born to Die from pitchfork etc. I think Lana probably has trauma from 2011/12 which she has been dealing with for a few years and that's what we're seeing in that instagram post. And btw idk how you can even attempt to make it about race, Lana mentioned those artists because they are the most popular female artists at the moment, not because they are POC. I swear to god the lack of intelligence I see baffles me.

You’re acting as if Beyonce didn’t receive even MORE backlash throughout her entire career. Lmao I can’t next

You are confusing racism and sexism with prejudice, dude. It's not the same thing. 

There is no such thing as reverse racism and reverse sexism. Racism and sexism require an element of power, which women and people of colour do not hold. 

This is a discussion for another thread, however.

Nobody said anything about reverse racism or sexism. That isn’t a thing, simply because racism is racism and sexism is sexism. There’s nothing reverse about it.

Systematic racism and prejudicial racism are completely different things. But prejudice is not only racism, so prejudice is not the correct word for it. Your comment about power is true, in certain communities. Systematically, I agree, POC and women do not hold that power. And it should not be that way. But within society, anyone can experience anything, specifically on a lower level than POC and women do. But that does not dismiss the fact that it can and does happen to some people who do not fit into the minority groups who face these complications more often, if not daily.

giphy.gif

if i fuck this model and she just bleached her asshole and i get bleach on my t-shirt, imma feel like an asshole

Lana's going to wake up to an entire mess. I wonder if she's going to say anything.

She can't take it doen, either, because it's gone viral. 

I feel like she might post something to clarify, but we all know she'll just make it worse with whatever she says ....

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream