LDRO

Instagram Updates

i really wish lana could be strong enough to not care about backlash and controversy. i think she is the one holding herself back. when you look at the transition from UV to honeymoon you can really see how she stopped letting us in so much.

why does she have to identify as a feminist? why does she have to have all the supposedly "correct" opinions to be respected? why can't she be messy and real? one reason i adore her unreleased songs is because of the endless imagination and fantasy she expresses in them. she created her own world. she wrote herself into existence. that's what i want--not some sanitized PC bullshit. the problem is lana is too sensitive and wants to be adored as much as she wants to express her true self. but you can't please everyone and she shouldn't bother. i'd respect her a lot more if she grew thicker skin.

let me be who i'm meant to be

The fact that men are often left out of this conversation, and allowed to succeed, even though there are many male artists who create music that glamorizes victimizing women is also glaring. These men are actors who perpetuate violence, while Lana writes about being in love with men, and staying with abusive men (which is a harsh reality of abusive relationships), she writes about something out of her control, where these men write about being in control.... We allow men to create, but women have to fight and are often put against each other.

Totally agree!!

"Lana and racism accusations" is number 7/8 most read story on BBC news and she is being attacked left right and centre on twitter. 

Don't think this is the reaction or publicity sis was after  :facepalm:  :mj3:

"Lana and racism accusations" is number 7/8 most read story on BBC news and she is being attacked left right and centre on twitter. 

Don't think this is the reaction or publicity sis was after  :facepalm:  :mj3:

chile....she’s getting free publicity. That’s the best thing to ever happen. She didn’t murder or kill nobody lol 

People will be anticipating and perched for her next album. Haters and fans alike.

Regarding my opinions on her letter. I don’t see anything wrong with it. I can see how she could come across as condescending to some people but there were no anti black undertones or whatever at all. :facepalm:

The first paragraph of her describing those artists music as sex, naked, cheating etc it didn’t come from a bad place whatsoever. She was literally just saying it to mirror what some critics thought of those woman (disregarding the integrity of their music demeaning it to just sex). In the same way to how HER OWN music was deemed as “glamorizing abuse”. It was just oddly phrased. Someone could read that and thought she’s belittling those women. She’s saying it the same way her haters would call her music boring, dull, death etc. The explicit word use like “fuck” got people brain rilled up. When Lana causally use those words lol.

Some people got ticked off because Lana described Beyoncé and Necki’s music as “fucking, cheating” While describing her own music by putting it on a pedestal as “being in love, beautiful etc”.......but her whole point is that fucking, cheating, wearing no clothes is NOT bad. And you should not looking it as bad because I’ve been through it too because my music was dull, death, abusive etc. 

I really do agree that people trying to make it directly a racist comment are reaching.

And I agree with your interpretation of what she was trying to say. But...

1. It was poorly worded. It takes a very kind reading to not get the impression that she's painting herself in a very poetic light compared to her descriptions of the other artists. Not my biggest grievance with her letter, but it is quite poorly worded. 

2. It skips over the part where litterally all female artist are criticized for their sexuality or held to double standards at some point. That doesn't mean that they should stay quiet about it, but it's really is tonedeaf of Lana to single herself out as different from those female artists. Especially because....

3. Lana has been quite succesful and reached critical acclaim in spite of her critics. She keeps peddling the "woe is me, media hates me" narrative when NFR was one of the most acclaimed albums of 2019. I'm not saying she can't still be justifiably mad about her earlier critics, but she needs to acknowledge her succes at least a little in order to not come off as spoiled. SO many other artists never reach her level of fame or are able to have the kind of artistic freedom she has, and it's not unreasonable to say that less privileged female artists' careers wouldn't have survived the backlash she recieved at first. She doesn't have to apologize for being white or coming from an affluent background but to paint herself as more silenced and distraught than her peers is just... tonedeaf.

So yes her point stands, but I see plenty of things wrong with the execution. It takes a very kind reading not to.  And we all know Twitter don't do kind readings :oic2:

I really do agree that people trying to make it directly a racist comment are reaching.

And I agree with your interpretation of what she was trying to say. But...

1. It was poorly worded. It takes a very kind reading to not get the impression that she's painting herself in a very poetic light compared to her descriptions of the other artists. Not my biggest grievance with her letter, but it is quite poorly worded. 

2. It skips over the part where litterally all female artist are criticized for their sexuality or held to double standards at some point. That doesn't mean that they should stay quiet about it, but it's really is tonedeaf of Lana to single herself out as different from those female artists. Especially because....

3. Lana has been quite succesful and reached critical acclaim in spite of her critics. She keeps peddling the "woe is me, media hates me" narrative when NFR was one of the most acclaimed albums of 2019. I'm not saying she can't still be justifiably mad about her earlier critics, but she needs to acknowledge her succes at least a little in order to not come off as spoiled. SO many other artists never reach her level of fame or are able to have the kind of artistic freedom she has, and it's not unreasonable to say that less privileged female artists' careers wouldn't have survived the backlash she recieved at first. She doesn't have to apologize for being white or coming from an affluent background but to paint herself as more silenced and distraught than her peers is just... tonedeaf.

So yes her point stands, but I see plenty of things wrong with the execution. It takes a very kind reading not to.  And we all know Twitter don't do kind readings :oic2:

2. I didn’t get that impression from her letter at all. All I got is that she wants to feel normalized get to the point of these woman to be able to express HERself. She’s painting herself as the “victim” YES but in no way she’s discrediting these other women’s struggles. And I don’t think she needs to write ten more paragraphs explaining Doja cat struggle working with dr Luke or Nicki supporting a convicted rapist or Camila saying NiGGURH.

3. She did acknowledged her success. 

And that was sadly my experience up until the point that those records were made. So I just want to say it’s been a long 10 years of bullshit reviews up until recently that I learned a lot from them but I also feel it really paved the way for other women to.........

Which it did, Born To Die sold well influenced a generation.

I didn’t get that she was tone deaf but the opposite. She assumed the reader is intelligent enough to decipher her message. Basically “I won’t not fuck you the fuck up. Period.” But in letter form. The aggressive tone, double negative and name dropping are throwing people off.

this is just a mess. i made a comment in unpopular opinions but ill kinda talk about it again in here. im scared for her, she seems deeply hurt and very mad. i dont want to deny her the right of expressing her feelings but theres truly so many better ways she couldve went around this. but if someone wants to clear this up for me, im just still confused why she needed to almost act and then once again in her clarification act like she went through the worst (while those girls all went through major criticisms)? meanwhile lana at her latest was being PRAISED for NFR... i thought that was her own artistic growth which she would proud of, not her doing what the critics wanted? why dwell on the past and give it that much of your energy? and if ur so upset about not charting and getting #1's (which i assumed she wasnt) which she felt the need herself to point out about those girls getting, like others have suggested, PROMOTE YOURSELF AND YOUR MUSIC! THATS WHAT THEY DO TO GET TO THE TOP OF THE CHARTS!

i am directly split in the middle with this, i have made many comments being understanding of her and defending her but this is something i really feel off about.

Now ma'am, do you want some ointment? Because that was a stretch.

That line can have multiple meanings and Lana's the only one who can say what it means.

I get what you're saying and that could be it. However, it could also mean that "the woman says no but man think it's a yes" not making it her fault (the woman) but making it his fault. Like, "men hear what they want, even if you say no" making it your fault when it's theirs.

I'm not really following where we disagree here. I agree that it is ultimately the man's fault for being abusive. My point is that some women perceive themselves as being at fault because men have told them, directly or not, "you are [xyz] which is why I abuse you" rather than admit "I am an abusive person". The fact that Lana used the words "women..like me - the kind.." rather than calling out abusive men directly seems to hint that she herself has internalized that her abuse comes from something about who she is rather than a fault with the men who have abused her. 

Goddesses don't speak in whispers. They scream.

2. I didn’t get that impression from her letter at all. All I got is that she wants to feel normalized get to the point of these woman to be able to express HERself. She’s painting herself as the “victim” YES but in no way she’s discrediting these other women’s struggles. And I think don’t she needs to write ten more paragraphs explaining Doja cat struggle working with dr Luke or Nicki supporting a convicted rapist or Camila saying NiGGURH.

I can see why you (or I for that matter) don't get that impression. We're giving her the benefit of the doubt. 

But I also think it's a fair point that for those women their sexuality is exactly part of why they've been criticized or held to double standards too by critics through out the years. As if Nicki or Beyoncé haven't had backlash against them exactly because  of them sexualizing themselves in paticular ways. Emma Watson critcizing Beyonce for showing off her body too much and how that was unfeminist of her i.e. comes to mind. Not saying whether Emma's point was valid or not, just noticing how these female artists' sexuality are not that "normalized" afterall. They're pretty much in the same boat as Lana in many ways, so why hold them up as counter examples ?  

3. She did acknowledged her success. 

Which it did, Born To Die sold well influenced a generation.

She's complaining like "can I go back to singing about.." as if she hasn't been doing exactly that to great acclaim with a thriving career for the better part of a decade. If you're not in a kind mood when reading her letter, Lana implies that she's been struggling with watching her artistic work influence the world to little acclaim until recently and seeing other artists thrive while she herself has been shunned by critics, feminists, the likes. That is not exactly true and I can see why people call her out on it. 

Yes, when reading her letter in a nuaced way that lends her the benefit of the doubt she has very valid points. But she doesn't make it easy for herself to be understood ("I'm not not a feminist"?????) and then she get's very upset that people misunderstands her.  

according to an inside sorce, the album will be much more in the vain of ultraviolence and aka, more heavy guitars and weird synths etc, she has apparantly met up with dan and emile for this

7cf18f916c76496838bb078b36ed9708af32170e

according to an inside sorce, the album will be much more in the vain of ultraviolence and aka, more heavy guitars and weird synths etc, she has apparantly met up with dan and emile for this

where did you read this? if so i hope it's true, two of her best albums in one! 

WGe8ynS.gif

Is this true or more fan fiction?

This is the kind of wishful thinking that will actually keep me going.

Ugh I wish Emile was back. This guy could create some magic stuff.

giphy.gif