LDRO

Instagram Updates

So I'm one of the people who took issue with her original post (but not to the extent of withdrawing support or canceling her or her music)...that video this morning had me in my feelings. She looked so so so down and drained.

If people attack her over the FKA twigs thing, they're only proving her point imo. It was such a concise way to sum up the situation (peep Cat Power's comment on the post about it too  :hooker:  Now I want a Cat Power feature and no others lmao )

it was such a forced friendship, i'd rather her be friendly again with grimes, marina, zella, weyes blood etc

she was literally bopping to Ari's music and live videos before her own shows and probably at home too 

she obviously genuinely likes Ari's music 

i76mrxw.png 

she was literally bopping to Ari's music and live videos before her own shows and probably at home too 

she obviously genuinely likes Ari's music 

i know she likes her music but the whole thing didn't really seem reciprocated on ariana's part

Lana Del Rey Honeymoon GIF

i know she likes her music but the whole thing didn't really seem reciprocated on ariana's part

She has shown love to Lana on Insta tho, is what the she can do, she doesn't have the freedom to hang out with her like Weyes, Zella and Marina, but I do believe that she's closer with this three than Ariana

8nl2OpX.png

To me, her point is pretty clear: when female artists sing about their sexuality in a way that's deemed positive or empowering, critics love it. But the moment Lana tries to weave a narrative where she makes mistakes sexually/romantically, and surrenders power to a man (who perhaps doesn't treat her well), she's crucified for it.

She wants everyone to be able to sing about their experiences without being told they're "glamorizing abuse." That's all she's saying. It's not an artist's job to be an example.

I don't believe that she was ever friends with Ari and twigs to begin with, just that they had a good relationship but it does saddens me that she cuts ties with people that simply don't agree with her opinion

8nl2OpX.png

Going back to her point about twigs and the 'whore' thing, can someone please link me to somewhere where Lana was called a whore because i genuinely only remember people making fun of her surgery, lyrics or authenticity. Also knowing lana wrote the lyrics "i'm a dragon, you're a whore" makes me look at her point as still a little bitter, it's kinda obvious lana doesn't really care about others being called a whore so could it really just be her victimising herself lol

To me, her point is pretty clear: when female artists sing about their sexuality in a way that's deemed positive or empowering, critics love it. But the moment Lana tries to weave a narrative where she makes mistakes sexually/romantically, and surrenders power to a man (who perhaps doesn't treat her well), she's crucified for it.

She wants everyone to be able to sing about their experiences without being told they're "glamorizing abuse." That's all she's saying. It's not an artist's job to be an example.

fucking right! there's so many good posts like this ^ on this thread and i almost want to compile them and give them to the go and Lana so they can understand. you said it so well, you're awesome

869-DEC9-E-0-FB4-4-EAF-82-CA-790-EF45189

kinda random but at this point if Azealia managed to bring herself into this I wouldn't even be surprised. in fact, surprised that it hasn't... it gets me thinking about Art Deco and how great a song it is, and how it's sort of about observing a figurative group, which can really be interpreted as basically anyone. I wonder if Azealia thinks that she's already established/confident in her identity enough in a sense/world of pop culture and how that might just not really be about her right about now

UV/Honeymoon

Going back to her point about twigs and the 'whore' thing, can someone please link me to somewhere where Lana was called a whore because i genuinely only remember people making fun of her surgery, lyrics or authenticity. Also knowing lana wrote the lyrics "i'm a dragon, you're a whore" makes me look at her point as still a little bitter, it's kinda obvious lana doesn't really care about others being called a whore so could it really just be her victimising herself lol

Me neither, I just remember fans and critics alike calling the film underwhelming and pretentious

8nl2OpX.png

Not her comparing herself awkwardly rubbing against a pole to Twigs who is a trained dancer. And when was she called a whore for it and by whom? And since when are these other women (mostly Woc) she unnecessarily mentioned exempt from misogyny and baseless hate? The audacity and tone deafness-

Okay, just created an account cause I have to chime in. As a 29 year old white woman myself, I have to add to the discussion some things I have not seen said yet. 

I grew up in the lower-middle class. I also grew up in generations of WASPS. I'm 99% sure Lana did too. WASP culture has its own issues, and from my observation, here are some defining characteristics:  

financially wealthy, emotionally unavailable

no communication or real relationship with family members

everything is about "image" and "success"

high chance of narcissistic issues in family members (seeing others as extensions of themselves)

looks great on the outside, typically diseased on the inside  

I say all this because, even though I agree she could have worded things WAAAAAYYYY better, when I first read her post, I saw a little glimpse of myself, someone who LOOKS like they have everything from the perspective of people from other cultures, but whose problems, though not physical/material (financial) are more emotional and psychological, and invisible.

It's not fair to assume just because she came from a wealthy family, she's automatically priviledged. You know why? Because money isn't everything. I would give up so much to have grown up poor in goods but rich in love. (And conversely, my hispanic husband grew up with tons of love, touch, support, but financially poor. )A baby will die without touch. We obviously don't know her life, and what we think we know could even be false. But we can vaguely assume it's possible that she did in fact get sent to a boarding school, did have a substance abuse problem, and did go live with her aunt & uncle afterwards, instead of her parents. She also made that mother's day twitter post which reminded me a lot of my community of trauma survivors from a toxic family. She might have been estranged from her family. I mean why was she living in NJ in a trailer park? She didn't have to. Again, we don't know, these are assumptions. It's just that nobody is giving the other side of reality to all of this drama. It's easy to see why she was attacked in today's culture, but what I believe she's trying to advocate for, without yet having the right words to do so— are people who have problems that are invisible, like neglect, abandonment, things that create cycles of codependency & self sabotage, things that she got criticized for, and things that she's trying to now say, "I want to be a voice for these women" and the fact that people made it about her being white made her feel even more invisible and invalidated. (But again that was half her fault cause... words... omg)  

On a side note in her new video she seemed really unwell, she looked like she was crying.

You've got the WASP down culture right, as LDR did in 'Old Money,' and as many filmmakers and novelists have.

I'm not approving or condemning her for her socioeconomic background, whatever it was, whether she grew up in poverty, lower middle middle class, middle middle class, upper middle class or wealthy. I would never condemn anyone for their origins, for the same reason you mention: "suffering knows no rent bracket," as the saying goes. Just because a person grows up with some level of prosperity around them doesn't mean they weren't ignored, abused, overlooked, bullied, misunderstood, lonely, etc. "Yet still, inside, I felt alone, for reasons unknown to me."

You may have missed the first post I wrote about this, several pages back, which the one you quote from was a continuation of. 

Not her comparing herself awkwardly rubbing against a pole to Twigs who is a trained dancer. And when was she called a whore for it and by whom? And since when are these other women (mostly Woc) she unnecessarily mentioned exempt from misogyny and baseless hate? The audacity and tone deafness-

She never said they were exempt??? Lana just gets attacked for a different thing entirely. All she's saying is that so-called sex-positive/feminist writers criticize her for sharing her experience just because it's not necessarily deemed "empowering."  

I also wanted to mention this! Twigs literally learnt how to pole dance and did it properly, Lana was kinda just twirling around which is why people referred to Twigs’ pole dancing as more of an art than Lana’s. i still don’t ever recall Lana being called a whore and i don’t think she ever was, by critics at least. Youtube comments though? Who cares, happens to everyone.

I think part of LDR's problem is that she's a genuine spiritual seeker, and yet at present she's relying on 'gurus' like Marianne Williamson, who is a sincere and well-intentioned individual, but who, in my opinion, is vacuous and empty of real insight except for New Age-y "love is the answer" and "Love will defeat Donald Trump in the next election!" sort of nonsense that manipulates the emotions of seekers in moments of weakness and confusion. You don’t get far if your spiritual beliefs boil down to ‘karma is a bitch,’ ‘everything happens for a reason,’ ‘everyone has a soulmate,’ etc.

Look up Williamson's history or Wikipedia entry, it's all New Age channeling BS, though her politics are liberal and so no doubt appeal to LDR in this period of her life.

'Answers' are not readily forthcoming, it takes time and maturity to find meaning in life for many or most, and I'm glad LDR is on that path. Therefore, her belief and/or support of Williamson right now is not necessarily a bad thing in my eyes, as one step on the path towards genuine 'enlightenment' of some kind.

I do wish LDR would read Carl Jung, especially his autobiography, 'Memories, Dreams, Reflections,' and since she's mentioned that she's read the 1992 book, Women Who Run with the Wolves: Myths and Stories of the Wild Woman Archetype by Jungian analyst Clarissa Pinkola Estes, I feel that book and others like it may lead her to Jung's sometimes admittedly-difficult work.

​Reading the lives of Vita Sackville-West and of the American poet and mystic Hilda Doolittle, who wrote under the initials H.D., would also be helpful to her, I think, as well as Camile Paglia's first three books and some classic Buddhist texts.