gloomyharlow

Bat For Lashes

Bat For Lashes is such an amazing artist! I am officially IN LOVE with The Bride, it's already one of my top played albums of all time. 

As I said earlier on this thread, The Bride was the first BFL album I listened to and I had always loved it since first play, but I was trying to get into her other material.

I ended up listening to Fur and Gold second since it was her debut, and I wanted to see the progression from the first to the Bride. I really like this album, but at the same time, I think this will probably be the album I end up listening to the least, for some reason. My faves at the moment are Trophy, What's a Girl to Do?, The Wizard, Prescilla, Tahiti, Sad Eyes, and Trophy (ok, so pretty much the first half of the album lol). The last 5 songs are ok but personally so far I think the album declines in quality towards the end (possibly an unpopular opinion??). Hopefully these last few tracks will grow on me a bit more the more I listen to the album.

Next (after Fur and Gold) I listened to The Haunted Man. I have to say, I was in love with every track first play (unfortunately I can't say the same about Fur and Gold - I liked all the songs but they weren't all instantly enjoyable like this album). I saw in a few places that apparently THM is her worst album, but for me personally I think it's brilliant. Lilies is probably her best song ever, I LOVE LOVE LOVE what she does with her voice on this track. But literally every song on this album is brilliant.

I am yet to listen to Two Suns... only because I've heard it's often regarded as her best album, so I decided to save it for last. I hope it will blow me away.... the cover art certainly has, so hopefully the songs will be good.

So, so far... my ranking of her albums goes:

The Bride > The Haunted Man > Fur and Gold

but tbh all of them are great! I will let y'all know what I think of Two Suns once I've given it a few listens.

I ended up listening to Fur and Gold second since it was her debut, and I wanted to see the progression from the first to the Bride. I really like this album, but at the same time, I think this will probably be the album I end up listening to the least, for some reason. My faves at the moment are Trophy, What's a Girl to Do?, The Wizard, Prescilla, Tahiti, Sad Eyes, and Trophy (ok, so pretty much the first half of the album lol). The last 5 songs are ok but personally so far I think the album declines in quality towards the end (possibly an unpopular opinion??). Hopefully these last few tracks will grow on me a bit more the more I listen to the album.

Bat's Mouth is my favorite song on Fur and Gold tho :sadcore4:

Bat's Mouth is my favorite song on Fur and Gold tho :sadcore4:

honestly I don't even remember how Bat's Mouth sounds, I guess it just never really stood out to me yet. Will have to give the album another few listens lol. I've only been a fan for like a couple of months so excuse my opinions, they're still forming  :toofunny:

A lot of my all-time favorite songs took a long time until it finally hit me how fantastic they are.

honestly I don't even remember how Bat's Mouth sounds, I guess it just never really stood out to me yet. Will have to give the album another few listens lol. I've only been a fan for like a couple of months so excuse my opinions, they're still forming  :toofunny:

A lot of my all-time favorite songs took a long time until it finally hit me how fantastic they are.

Fair enough. But oddly I feel like The Bride prepares you for Fur and Gold? They're more similar while THM and Two Suns have more to sink your teeth into. So on that basis, hopefully you'll come around :slayty:

Bat For Lashes is such an amazing artist! I am officially IN LOVE with The Bride, it's already one of my top played albums of all time. 

As I said earlier on this thread, The Bride was the first BFL album I listened to and I had always loved it since first play, but I was trying to get into her other material.

Next (after Fur and Gold) I listened to The Haunted Man. I have to say, I was in love with every track first play (unfortunately I can't say the same about Fur and Gold - I liked all the songs but they weren't all instantly enjoyable like this album). I saw in a few places that apparently THM is her worst album, but for me personally I think it's brilliant. Lilies is probably her best song ever, I LOVE LOVE LOVE what she does with her voice on this track. But literally every song on this album is brilliant.

I am yet to listen to Two Suns... only because I've heard it's often regarded as her best album, so I decided to save it for last. I hope it will blow me away.... the cover art certainly has, so hopefully the songs will be good.

So, so far... my ranking of her albums goes:

The Bride > The Haunted Man > Fur and Gold

but tbh all of them are great! I will let y'all know what I think of Two Suns once I've given it a few listens.

I agree with EVERYTHING you have said. THM was the best and it's claimed as the worst

I really love the bride and everything it stands for. It's a spiritual journey that reinvents the most common spiritual journey in the world.

I think The Haunted Man is one of the best. I think the reason it was underrated is because Bat for Lashed have always been such a visual artist, and the visuals were more simple and probably less important (kinda like for the Ultraviolence era).

For me it's more like The bride > The Haunted Man = Fur and gold > Two Suns, but I definitly love them all <3

God, I honestly can't ever get over how brilliant The Bride is as a whole album. The concept is just brilliant and her storytelling skills are breathtaking. The narrative is so cohesive and each track flows freely from one to the other. Her voice has the perfect balance of heartbrokenness, devastation, desperation, loneliness and raw emotion. She really sounds like a sad angel on this album, and even the more hopeful tracks toward the end have an underlying darkness to them. 

I really love the bride and everything it stands for. It's a spiritual journey that reinvents the most common spiritual journey in the world.

I think The Haunted Man is one of the best. I think the reason it was underrated is because Bat for Lashed have always been such a visual artist, and the visuals were more simple and probably less important (kinda like for the Ultraviolence era).

For me it's more like The bride > The Haunted Man = Fur and gold > Two Suns, but I definitly love them all <3

for me it's The Haunted Man > Two Suns > The Bride > Fur and Gold > Sexwitch

i used to be casady  :teehee: 

Wow! I've never posted about her on here. I love her, we are both named Natasha and we actually look quite similar hahha.

I only got into her half way through 2017 because of Lana talking about how she likes her and would be open to a collab. I don't know many of her songs but I absolutely love WAGTD, Lillies and Laura.

She's one of those artists that I know I HAVE to get more into, WHEN I can be bothered.

Cause when I discover someone and they have more than 2 albums out, it's very difficult for me to be motivated enough to listen to them all.

So if anyone has a few more songs to suggest, I'd love to hear :)