sparklrtrailrheaven

Lana Del Ray AKA Lizzy Grant - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Lana Del Ray AKA Lizzy Grant  

253 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Lana Del Ray AKA Lizzy Grant?

• Kill Kill
    • Queen of the Gas Station
    • Oh Say Can You See
    • Gramma (Blue Ribbon Sparkler Trailer Heaven)
    • For K Part 2
    • Jump
    • Mermaid Motel
    • Raise Me Up (Mississippi South)
    • Pawn Shop Blues
    • Brite Lites
    • Put Me in a Movie (Little Girls)
    • Smarty
    • Yayo

I've been pondering something...

Despite a lack of information surrounding the "No Kung Fu" EP, it's been said that it was a "demo tape" of sorts, that ended up catching the attention of David Kahne, yes? So, if this is true, this would obviously mean that the No Kung Fu tracks are *not* Kahne productions. So, it could be speculated that the producer of No Kung Fu could be Steven Mertens, as he was a producer working with Lana at the time, and produced an early version of the album that became AKA-- we know that the No Kung Fu tracks are likely not from his finished version of the album, however, since there are snippets of a Mertens-produced "Brite Lites" floating around. 

The wrench in this theory is this: "Ruby", the demo of "Put Me in a Movie" featured on NKF (which is also notably more produced/polished than the other NKF tracks), also appears on a CD burned by Lana c. 2008, after she'd begun working with David Kahne. So, this brings to mind several theories:

1. No Kung Fu was not a "demo tape", and was produced with David Kahne after Mertens' AKA was scrapped. 

2. "Ruby" was a holdover from the Mertens sessions, and Lana (being Lana), still enjoyed it, including it on a CD with Kahne-produced tracks.

3. No Kung Fu is a fanmade EP, with mostly Mertens tracks and one Kahne track slipped in, from a different session.

4. No Kung Fu is Mertens production, and "Ruby" is noticeably more produced because it comes from his finished version of the album. 

It would help to know what we know about NKF... When did it leak? Who leaked it? What information was with it when it leaked? Do we have any definite, concrete info on it?

So many questions :really: I'd love to hear any insight/ideas y'all have on this! 

Leave it to Lana to leave her past "stranger than a stranger" for us to decipher  :hooker:

o4qjp4j.png

It would help to know what we know about NKF... When did it leak? Who leaked it? What information was with it when it leaked? Do we have any definite, concrete info on it?

Reminder:

This is what the original uploader (who has only ever uploaded one torrent, despite being on the site since 2005) says of the NKF demos on Dimeadozen.org

Uwgxh1d.jpg

ZbLGZwS.jpg

Reminder:

David Kahne haself?

I always felt like they were early productions of his because (I believe, on @@Monicker's authority) the beginning of Brite Lites samples the demo. Which would make the Mertens "final" earlier? Idk its kinda confusing. He could just as easily sample/recreate the "1-2-3" having received this demo CD.

Then again, they might just be a band-less session with Steven Mertens because a few of the NKF demos were posted on her MySpace before known Mertens songs Trash Magic (as Miss America) and Wayamaya (as W)--but after Disco session songs had been posted, and who knows his involvement in those...

David Kahne haself?

I always felt like they were early productions of his because (I believe, on @@Monicker's authority) the beginning of Brite Lites samples the demo. Which would make the Mertens "final" earlier? Idk its kinda confusing. He could just as easily sample/recreate the "1-2-3" having received this demo CD.

Then again, they might just be a band-less session with Steven Mertens because a few of the NKF demos were posted on her MySpace before known Mertens songs Trash Magic (as Miss America) and Wayamaya (as W)--but after Disco session songs had been posted, and who knows his involvement in those...

The timelines are so strange. I've always wondered if it would help to organize a timeline of known Lizzy/Lana dates and try to organize some tracks/photos/live dates/etc. where it's possible. Has anyone tried that? It's a heavy undertaking, but there's so much of her past that is cloudy. 

o4qjp4j.png

Does anyone remember when did the last mastering of AKA finished? I think Eclipse shared them somewhere but I don't remember where.

Could it be that "No Kung Fu" was a early title for AKA? The demo CD said NKF "Demos" (back in 2007), plus I also think that doesn't mean that this are the only "NKF era", there could be more demos out from this NKF project out there since Lisandro leaked the Mermaid Motel labeled as part of NKF, I asked him and he replied "That yes MM demo is part of NKF and probably there are more demos".

Also does anyone even thinks that out of the AKA demos we already have, there's probably a lot Mertens's AKA? I've never heard that we know who are the producers of the AKA demos.

Zmqor.gif  549c6f8824aad4fae564141099ef89a8.gif

8nl2OpX.png

Does anyone remember when did the last mastering of AKA finished? I think Eclipse shared them somewhere but I don't remember where.

Could it be that "No Kung Fu" was a early title for AKA? The demo CD said NKF "Demos" (back in 2007), plus I also think that doesn't mean that this are the only "NKF era", there could be more demos out from this NKF project out there since Lisandro leaked the Mermaid Motel labeled as part of NKF, I asked him and he replied "That yes MM demo is part of NKF and probably there are more demos".

Also does anyone even thinks that out of the AKA demos we already have, there's probably a lot Mertens's AKA? I've never heard that we know who are the producers of the AKA demos.

Zmqor.gif  549c6f8824aad4fae564141099ef89a8.gif

We don't have any of Mertens, MM could be his but its unconfirmed. The rest are not

OAjeWdG.jpg?1

A fan for her (bootleg) AKA Lizzy Grant vinyl signed! I’ve never seen one signed before.

38970782915_6899af4b3a_b.jpg

49093006537_7ae76bb4ce_o.jpg

• 4.18.14 • 5.1.14 • 9.20.14 • 5.28.15 • 6.14.15 • 7.28.16 • 7.24.17 • 10.23.17 • 10.24.17 • 1.25.18 • 2.5.18 • 12.5.18 • 10.3.19 • 10.11.19 • 11.16.19 •

SF • ATL • ATL • IND • ATL • CHI • LDN • NYC • NYC • DC • ATL • NYC • PDX • SAN • KS