PlaceboHoliday

Lana @ Outside Lands Festival // August 7th

Looks like another successful show - she looked & sounded great as far as I can tell. I'm assuming the setlist was the same/similar to what we've seen so far?

It would be so great at this point for her to throw in something new for the fans - Salvatore would be perfect, and TBD could work with the backing singers. Maybe a tiny snippet of a new song (too optimistic?).

Regardless, it seems these festival gigs are going well for her and she seems happy and confident, which is great!

so I don't hate her nor do I like her (I feel bad for the cyber-bullying she gets)

but I can't help myself but cringe at moments like this (whenever Halsey and Lana are in the same sentence)

and it's all due mostly to the shit she pulled with her National Anthem Parody

she's not generally the type of person I like (but this video makes me cringe so hard)

Edit: Hopefully she doesn't get this excited and make a parody of it too

While I'm in full agreement about the desire for streaming, the need for DVDs, and switched up playlists etc. On the upside it does seem like she's exercising her backup singers more this concert (judging from the Blue Jeans and other performances). Gives me hope that a live Axl Rose Husband is possible. The Honeymoon performance was really badass imo, meaning she's doing live the way live is supposed to be done relative to studio. Also performances are beginning to trickle into youtube.

Not quite sure what is referenced by "National Anthem Parody", @@PlaceboHoliday, but if it's New Americana song that's unfair given NA is often criticized for being like another song (Bittersweet Symphony, a Verve song?). I think Halsey getting into OTTR is a good sign. At the very least it shows she enjoys the song, and thinking speculatively she may want to be well regarded by LDR (also the scowling brunette in the background, maybe she's trying to rile her, lol). BTW, great work covering the concerts @@PlaceboHoliday.

guys can someone save Chuck snapchat story

I've saved them plus the Byron one  :usrs: here

Was anyone even able to see byrons' snapchat story? Bc I couldn't -_- same with the dancers who have promo'd their snapchat like a bunch

It was just a video of lana playing the guitar during yayo. Dunno about the dancers tho... :crossed:

mH6fLZ4.gif

I've saved them plus the Byron one  :usrs: here

It was just a video of lana playing the guitar during yayo. Dunno about the dancers tho... :crossed:

Thanks a lot for the snapchat

While I'm in full agreement about the desire for streaming, the need for DVDs, and switched up playlists etc. On the upside it does seem like she's exercising her backup singers more this concert (judging from the Blue Jeans and other performances). Gives me hope that a live Axl Rose Husband is possible. The Honeymoon performance was really badass imo, meaning she's doing live the way live is supposed to be done relative to studio. Also performances are beginning to trickle into youtube.

Not quite sure what is referenced by "National Anthem Parody", @@PlaceboHoliday, but if it's New Americana song that's unfair given NA is often criticized for being like another song (Bittersweet Symphony, a Verve song?). I think Halsey getting into OTTR is a good sign. At the very least it shows she enjoys the song, and thinking speculatively she may want to be well regarded by LDR (also the scowling brunette in the background, maybe she's trying to rile her, lol). BTW, great work covering the concerts @@PlaceboHoliday.

I heard about that song and the intro sounds similar, but the choruses of both National Anthem and New Americana sound close to identical 

the intro similarity is not the same as the choruses being semi-identical

Also thanks for the compliment, I'll update the main posts later and in the end of the tour I'll post all the pics, clips, articles, and videos I collected throughout the tour

PlaceboHoliday, on 08 Aug 2016 - 07:24 AM, said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZbeXKZ9CHM

so I don't hate her nor do I like her (I feel bad for the cyber-bullying she gets)

but I can't help myself but cringe at moments like this (whenever Halsey and Lana are in the same sentence)

she's not generally the type of person I like (but this video makes menational o hard)

I don't know much about Halsey. I know I tried listening to Badlands on YouTube a few times and I never could make it through the entire thing. She's just not my cup of tea. However I don't see the reason for all the cyber bullying and hatred towards the poor woman. They say on Tumblr she tries to copy Lana a lot but I don't see it. Not in sound or in look. Am I missing something?

That video is cringe worthy though so I agree there but she's seem to love Lana's music and I don't see anything wrong there.

I never saw the NA parody and don't even know what that is. Can someone fill me in?

I don't know much about Halsey. I know I tried listening to Badlands on YouTube a few times and I never could make it through the entire thing. She's just not my cup of tea. However I don't see the reason for all the cyber bullying and hatred towards the poor woman. They say on Tumblr she tries to copy Lana a lot but I don't see it. Not in sound or in look. Am I missing something?

That video is cringe worthy though so I agree there but she's seem to love Lana's music and I don't see anything wrong there.

I never saw the NA parody and don't even know what that is. Can someone fill me in?

Her song "New Americana" has a super similar chorus, considering both the melody and the way it is sung by a choir. That's it though, never saw why people would compare the rest of her music or her  visuals to Lana. Halsey can be a big attention seeker, yet the hate she recieves is just unreasonable. I actually really really like Badlands, even though t is tumblr in sound form.

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

Some people are saying the chorus/hook (?) of New Americana sounds like National Anthems chorus/hook

she's not generally the type of person I like (but this video makes me cringe so hard)

tumblr_oblynkGvFj1twrqvqo1_400.gif Halsey in this vid tbh

tumblr_mxk6xrLiob1r4y0tco1_500.gif Instagram: pxpi_gringo

Its not that deep. I cringe at Lana stans who drag anyone who is saying Lana is not influental but then constantly hate artists that are inspired by her. 

I found this quite funny. Starting off Ultraviolence she sings, "He used to call me DN, like I was... how does it go?"

I mean, she's been singing this song at every show since mid 2014, so I doubt that she really forgot lyrics. Unless that actually is the case, I wonder why she did it. Someone noted that perhaps it was to ~throw shade~ at the whole Ultraviolence album situation with her label, which wouldn't be surprising since she's only been singing 2 songs off of the record anyway. Or of course it maybe just slipped her mind like Ride in Atlantic City last year.

https://twitter.com/LanaBrasill/status/762522212175863808

49093006537_7ae76bb4ce_o.jpg

• 4.18.14 • 5.1.14 • 9.20.14 • 5.28.15 • 6.14.15 • 7.28.16 • 7.24.17 • 10.23.17 • 10.24.17 • 1.25.18 • 2.5.18 • 12.5.18 • 10.3.19 • 10.11.19 • 11.16.19 •

SF • ATL • ATL • IND • ATL • CHI • LDN • NYC • NYC • DC • ATL • NYC • PDX • SAN • KS

I found this quite funny. Starting off Ultraviolence she sings, "He used to call me DN, like I was... how does it go?"

I mean, she's been singing this song at every show since mid 2014, so I doubt that she really forgot lyrics. Unless that actually is the case, I wonder why she did it. Someone noted that perhaps it was to ~throw shade~ at the whole Ultraviolence album situation with her label, which wouldn't be surprising since she's only been singing 2 songs off of the record anyway. Or of course it maybe just slipped her mind like Ride in Atlantic City last year.

https://twitter.com/LanaBrasill/status/762522212175863808

If she didn't forget, then it was an attempt to engage the crowd in some fashion, or shake them out of a perceived complacency, which I tend to believe is the situation. I see LDR as having an adaptive mindset (some would say delusion) of viewing any concert (no matter how large, outside lands 75k?) as an informal (small venue) setting. This is not to deny that she seems to do better at small venues; however, I think she's attempting to get over that. Or maybe she did forget, but her style of recovery was intended to make me (and others hopefully) come up with the explanation I just offered.

Best Sedate Starlet Lana Del Rey

It’s easy to crack wise about Lana Del Rey. She waltzes across the stage like Florence had her Machine replaced with a Xanax prescription. She not-so-subtly celebrates herself by broadcasting her name in giant neon letters above the stage. Yet, on the other hand, she also has a phenomenal voice and a startlingly dedicated fanbase. When the sound momentarily cut out during opener “Cruel World”, the overflowing crowd at the Twin Peaks stage nearly had a collective heart attack. Tears were legitimately shed when she descended the stairs to the crowd barricade during “Cola” to take selfies and sign autographs.

When her band struck up the first notes to Del Rey’s Born to Die single “Summertime Sadness”, the crowd fidgeted with elation, muting the artist herself by vociferously singing every word. While “proper” headliner Lionel Ritchie languished a field away, the masses gave in to the sleepy siren songstress and her muted but undeniable charms. As Outside Lands came to an end with a noticeably spirited performance of “Off to the Races”, the questions of Del Rey’s place in the modern music pantheon remained unanswered. All that was certain is how deeply so many people clearly care for her, which, in a way, is the only thing that matters. –-Zack Ruskin

Why book Richie at all? Sure, he had some fun piano ballads back in the ‘80s, but did you really think he’d be able to compete with Lana Del Rey at a festival that seems to grow younger each year? I just feel bad for Richie, because he gave it his all and at least he knew what the score was.

Interesting, I'll update this if I find any more reviews on this show.