Cashew

Poppy

On 7/29/2020 at 11:22 AM, Sulfer said:

...I don't really like Khaos x4,  i'm generally not  into her metal stuff, always curious to hear anything new from her though. I still listen to I Diasgree sometimes but i definitely prefer Bubblebath era, can't believe she scrapped the idea of making it a full album - these tracks are iconic!!!!

Wouldn't be mad if she goes back to the Bubblebath era but I don't think she will

SIRENS INTERRUPT THE SILENCE

I still kinda want her to make I Disagree 2.0 for the next album, but she said in one interview that she doesn't want to keep making the same genre so I'm not sure what she'll make in the future

EDIT: Anyway guys do we have a Poppy masterpost?

SIRENS INTERRUPT THE SILENCE

A Very Poppy Christmas (EP) out December 1st! 
Tracklist:
1. I Like Presents

2. Kiss in the Snow

3. I Won’t Be Home for Christmas

4. Silver Bells

Shared post on

49093006537_7ae76bb4ce_o.jpg

• 4.18.14 • 5.1.14 • 9.20.14 • 5.28.15 • 6.14.15 • 7.28.16 • 7.24.17 • 10.23.17 • 10.24.17 • 1.25.18 • 2.5.18 • 12.5.18 • 10.3.19 • 10.11.19 • 11.16.19 •

SF • ATL • ATL • IND • ATL • CHI • LDN • NYC • NYC • DC • ATL • NYC • PDX • SAN • KS

I loved the Bubblebath EP around the time it came out, then lost interest around poppy.computer cause her character was getting kinda worn out & the whole titanic sinclair mess  but I've recently been getting into I Disagree n whew this album slaps. I was avoiding it for a while cause songs like X, Scary Mask and even Concrete felt very gimmick-y to me but I Disagree is actually really good and doesn't feel gimmick-y at all to me except for concrete but i like it way better in the context of the album The last song I genuinely liked of hers was Immature Couture. 'Am I a Girl?' had some cute songs but most of it still gave me the "this is part of the poppy character" vibes n it got kinda corny at times. I Disagree is the first thing I heard from her since Bubblebath where it actually feels like genuine music made by an artist and not music to go along with an art project if that makes sense. Also the cover of I Disagree (more) is a whole serve n the main reason I decided to get into the album.

qfrWuBl.png

On 12/3/2020 at 1:36 AM, TrashMagiq said:

I loved the Bubblebath EP around the time it came out, then lost interest around poppy.computer cause her character was getting kinda worn out & the whole titanic sinclair mess  but I've recently been getting into I Disagree n whew this album slaps. I was avoiding it for a while cause songs like X, Scary Mask and even Concrete felt very gimmick-y to me but I Disagree is actually really good and doesn't feel gimmick-y at all to me except for concrete but i like it way better in the context of the album The last song I genuinely liked of hers was Immature Couture. 'Am I a Girl?' had some cute songs but most of it still gave me the "this is part of the poppy character" vibes n it got kinda corny at times. I Disagree is the first thing I heard from her since Bubblebath where it actually feels like genuine music made by an artist and not music to go along with an art project if that makes sense. Also the cover of I Disagree (more) is a whole serve n the main reason I decided to get into the album.

Totally agree! 

I liked her original persona/aesthetic but  it got old after 1 EP. when I realised it was entirely built off Mars Argo, I actually hated it. 

I was intrigued when she changed her image and changed genre because I've always liked metal, but I still kept a distance until she left T.S. 

Dropping the Mars Argo act (and Titanic) was the best thing for her, whether it was a happy coincidence to avoid getting sued, or totally planned to get more attention. 

The whole pretty-bleach-blonde turned brunette worked so well too. 

Could someone give me more input about her cancelled/shelved releases and unreleased songs? 

I read somewhere that there was an album before Bubblebath and also another one after bubblebath and Poppy.computer, but I'm not sure. 

Tbh I'm just fan of AIAG? onwards

Hikaru Utada • BANKS • Rina Sawayama • Aly & AJ • MARINA • Björk • Kate Bush • Marion Ravn • Carly Rae Jepsen •
Hilary Duff • Charli XCX • The Cardigans • Mitski • Phoebe Bridgers • Allie X • Caroline Polachek • Meg & Dia • Dia Frampton • Olivia Lufkin • Poppy • Grimes • Melanie Martinez • Lana Del Rey • Bat for Lashes • Ayumi Hamasaki  • Paramore • Hayley Williams • Evanescence/Amy Lee • ACO • LIGHTS • Alexz Johnson • Avril Lavigne • Florrie • Flyleaf/Lacey Sturm • Tove Lo • Sky Ferreira • HANA • Daine • Foxes • CHVRCHES • Lorde

19 minutes ago, Roger said:

Could someone give me more input about her cancelled/shelved releases and unreleased songs? 

I read somewhere that there was an album before Bubblebath and also another one after bubblebath and Poppy.computer, but I'm not sure. 

Tbh I'm just fan of AIAG? onwards

she had an album she was working on when she was still Moriah Poppy, Bubblebath was intended to be a full album and there was an early version of AIAG? which had songs that had a "french influence" and probably included leaked tracks like blush, good to me and knockoff (there was also the Charlotte album)

i'm currently trying to list all the unreleased songs we have too and eventually add links https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12Po4ewmzzGmoeTR4CaShQTNEk_qOe6yg_rtT8PFFphI/edit?usp=sharing

This is a rant no one asked for 

I'm so happy for Poppy's success with I Disagree and I think this is also a huge win for keeping alternative music hitting the charts and getting attention. I've always been in the metal and rock community for other bands, so when a pop artist that I like experiments with more alternative music I get super excited and feel so happy that these world's can come together. I feel happy that people who stick to pop might say "oh this is pretty cool tbh" and happy when metalheads might say "omg this pop artist actually made it work!"

However, I hate gatekeepers who's only input can be "Its Not MeTAl!!!!" Like, Poppy herself hasn't even called it Metal, she's called it Post-Genre, and when her album got nominated in the metal category she simply took it as a complement. She isn't trying to take over the metal community. 

These gatekeepers are always white men aged 30+ who are scared of younger people, especially girls, crossing over into 'their territory' and it's really quite embarrassing that they can't say "hey it's cool you younger generation are interested in metal. Here's some bands to check out that Poppy also said are her influences" instead of "ItS NoT MeTAL, this is trash! This is not music!!!"

Idk, I just wish people didn't have to be so strict with music blending through genres. music can be shared, like, it doesn't have to be an elitist club. I have been told before I entered a goth club that if I mention that I like Evanescence I'd be kicked out. Because I can't like goth and metal bands as well as more popular rock bands? When once again the members of Evanescence have never claimed to be goth? 

Anyways that's just my perspective as someone who has seen this happen over and over again between music communities and I hope Poppy is able to celebrate her success in peace, without people coming for her, for appealing to the metal community as well. 

54 minutes ago, Danny Milk said:

she had an album she was working on when she was still Moriah Poppy, Bubblebath was intended to be a full album and there was an early version of AIAG? which had songs that had a "french influence" and probably included leaked tracks like blush, good to me and knockoff (there was also the Charlotte album)

i'm currently trying to list all the unreleased songs we have too and eventually add links https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12Po4ewmzzGmoeTR4CaShQTNEk_qOe6yg_rtT8PFFphI/edit?usp=sharing

This is super useful, more considering how many leaks, unreleased and unleaked stuff 

Thanks!! 

17 minutes ago, Ultra Violet said:

This is a rant no one asked for 

Hide contents

I'm so happy for Poppy's success with I Disagree and I think this is also a huge win for keeping alternative music hitting the charts and getting attention. I've always been in the metal and rock community for other bands, so when a pop artist that I like experiments with more alternative music I get super excited and feel so happy that these world's can come together. I feel happy that people who stick to pop might say "oh this is pretty cool tbh" and happy when metalheads might say "omg this pop artist actually made it work!"

However, I hate gatekeepers who's only input can be "Its Not MeTAl!!!!" Like, Poppy herself hasn't even called it Metal, she's called it Post-Genre, and when her album got nominated in the metal category she simply took it as a complement. She isn't trying to take over the metal community. 

These gatekeepers are always white men aged 30+ who are scared of younger people, especially girls, crossing over into 'their territory' and it's really quite embarrassing that they can't say "hey it's cool you younger generation are interested in metal. Here's some bands to check out that Poppy also said are her influences" instead of "ItS NoT MeTAL, this is trash! This is not music!!!"

Idk, I just wish people didn't have to be so strict with music blending through genres. music can be shared, like, it doesn't have to be an elitist club. I have been told before I entered a goth club that if I mention that I like Evanescence I'd be kicked out. Because I can't like goth and metal bands as well as more popular rock bands? When once again the members of Evanescence have never claimed to be goth? 

Anyways that's just my perspective as someone who has seen this happen over and over again between music communities and I hope Poppy is able to celebrate her success in peace, without people coming for her, for appealing to the metal community as well. 

I agree 

Hikaru Utada • BANKS • Rina Sawayama • Aly & AJ • MARINA • Björk • Kate Bush • Marion Ravn • Carly Rae Jepsen •
Hilary Duff • Charli XCX • The Cardigans • Mitski • Phoebe Bridgers • Allie X • Caroline Polachek • Meg & Dia • Dia Frampton • Olivia Lufkin • Poppy • Grimes • Melanie Martinez • Lana Del Rey • Bat for Lashes • Ayumi Hamasaki  • Paramore • Hayley Williams • Evanescence/Amy Lee • ACO • LIGHTS • Alexz Johnson • Avril Lavigne • Florrie • Flyleaf/Lacey Sturm • Tove Lo • Sky Ferreira • HANA • Daine • Foxes • CHVRCHES • Lorde

I followed the Poppy bubblegum era and was really impressed with the genius concept behind it, and Titanic (which despite its controversies, you have to admit he's really good at leading this project and music in an interesting direction).

Everything was smart, well thought out and very well done. It was exciting to follow.

And then there was Mars Argo, a supercilious neglected artist and these stories of plagiarism, theft, violence afterwards, I'm sad that it all ended like that because each of them has a great talent. Mars Argo I love her so much, I hope for her return but I don't really believe in it anymore.

Poppy has a crazy evolution, and I'm amazed to see that she releases solid albums every time, with a totally different and worked aesthetic. I really liked her Pop period, it was perfect, and her albums after her little gems to listen to without moderation. I still hope she will someday return to classic songs, just without all that pink but an accessible dark pop record. I don't hate what she's doing right now, but I find it hard to realize that it's her, some songs are hard to listen to.

I have the impression that she has always been inspired by her boyfriends for her ideas and her music. I find it hard to understand if she's the one behind it or if it's just a "I'm becoming physically like my boyfriend because I love him". That said, she remains a separate and interesting artist, she works a lot to release albums quickly.