GangstaBoy

Fine China

Listening to unreleased stuff like Fine China makes me really sad in terms of realising that despite Honeymoon being my favourite album of her it lacks storytelling like some of you said. It's so beautful in terms of melody, vocals, variety of instruments, being all cinematic etc. But deEAR GOD ABOVE why are the lyrics so flat? The only song consistent in terms of message, point and structure is Swan Song imo.

Fine China is lyrical magnum opus and I hope she'll go for this type of creative writing rather than ready-to-use symbols and phrases mimicking Born To Die (and, in addition, failing).

I'm looking at you LDR5 do not footfall down the passage which you should not take :smokes3: :smokes3: :smokes3: 

butterflies-gif-2.giflana-dancing-smaller.gif

aight, after 1000th time listening to fine china (i was in the mood lately) i must admit the song is masterpiece, can't believe it used to bore me when it leaked... :defeated: :defeated: :defeated:

nsaalk.jpg

i love this song. it's so overwhelmingly sad (even for Lana), and yet so powerful.
there are a lot of people complaining about the melody, but i actually really like it, especially the verses
it's just a masterpiece

Ignored this for so long but since yesterday, it has been on repeat and... It's just from another world. GORGEOUS lyrics and... wow. Wish it did make the cut on Ultraviolence looking back now also I kept imagining Say Yes to Heaven as the opening instead of Cruel World 

Reading all the theories around the song made it even better. I Didn't know what "Fine Chine" really meant (Now I know it's a slang for cocaine, heroin but also means beautiful plates and stuff... just like wedding gifts :rollin: ) but It's funny how simple words can mean a lot with Lana

Ignored this for so long but since yesterday, it has been on repeat and... It's just from another world. GORGEOUS lyrics and... wow. Wish it did make the cut on Ultraviolence looking back now also I kept imagining Say Yes to Heaven as the opening instead of Cruel World 

Reading all the theories around the song made it even better. I Didn't know what "Fine Chine" really meant (Now I know it's a slang for cocaine, heroin but also means beautiful plates and stuff... just like wedding gifts :rollin: ) but It's funny how simple words can mean a lot with Lana

Queen of druggy slangs hahaha

original.gif

If by not 'up to par' you mean distilling the worst elements that only kind of work in songs, sure. I could put a dictionary audiobook on shuffle and put it to an instrumental of old money and some of y'all would still be saying it's 50/50 lmfao.

8LQ1.gif

Fine China is such a beautiful song with beautiful lyrics about a failed engagement to be wed.

This is how I interpret the lyrics of the song and how I believe it related to Lana’s life at the time of its’ recording.

I think the most revealing part of the whole song are the opening lines:

“I wore diamonds for the birth of your baby, for the birth of your son

On the same day my husband to be packed his things to run.”

I believe the first line is a reference to Lana being present for the birth of Jaime King’s son James on the 6th of October 2013. Here you can see a picture of Lana with Jaime and her new-born baby in the hospital, wearing a diamond necklace https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/lanadelrey/images/5/57/Newmanbaby.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20150716232607

Jaime has said publicly that Lana stayed with her during her entire labour which was over 26 hours long!

Additionally, I believe the second line is about Lana’s engagement to her former fiancé Barrie James O’Neill. The two were rumoured to get engaged on July 21st 2013 after Barrie proposed on Lana’s birthday. You can read a Daily Mail article discussing the engagement rumours here: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2549794/Lana-Del-Rey-boyfriend-Barrie-James-ONeill-secretly-engaged-June.html

From the lyrics of the song we can assume that while Lana was with Jaime at the hospital, Barrie packed up his things and left Lana (I think this means he packed his stuff up and moved out of the house he was sharing with Lana at the time after a fight). Lana and Barrie were not seen publicly together again until a month later on November 1st 2013 at a Nylon magazine event. So, it seems any fight they had was resolved by this point.

Fine China was recorded in December 2013 with Rick Nowels in the same sessions as Your Girl, Yes to Heaven, Is this happiness, Sad Girl, Shades of Cool and I Can Fly.

Considering how Lana has stated multiple times that her lyrics are deeply autobiographical, it is my interpretation that Lana was writing from the viewpoint of the experience she had in October of that year, when she thought her engagement to Barrie was over and the dreams she had of her wedding were crushed.  

tumblr_mx1rynpDqV1rh0xc7o1_500.gif