Monicker

Minor General Questions that Don't Deserve Their Own Thread

WHAT THIS THREAD IS FOR:

General and fact-based Lana-related questions that are easily answered and not intended for their own discussion.

Examples:

“Which interview was it where Lana mentioned being a fan of David Lynch?"

"What performance was it where Lizzy did the cover of The Happiest Girl In The Whole U.S.A.?"

“What’s Lana’s brother’s name?”

“What was the name of that boarding school that Lana attended?”

You know, stuff like that.

WHAT THIS THREAD IS NOT FOR:

--Any questions about specific discussion topics that already have a home somewhere on the forum, such as individual songs in the Lyrics section, past photo shoots in the Gallery, unreleased/demo songs in the Audio section. Questions pertaining to specific subjects such as these can still be directed to those existing threads.

--Discussion type of questions that are a matter of opinion. Eg: “Who do you prefer, Lana or Lizzy?" or “What do you think would happen if Lana went on SNL again?” Those are opinion-based topics for on-going discussion that are not appropriate for this thread, and are better suited for their own thread.

***Before you ask your question, have a look here at the thread dedicated to rumors and debunked myths about Lana Del Rey, as the answer to your question might very well already be there.

"The limits of my language mean the limits of my world." -Wittgenstein

Now I have a question...

do we have a full footage of her show at the living room?

We have video of three songs from her December 16, 2008 show at the Living Room: "The End of the World", "Trash Magic", and "Yayo". But we don't know how many songs she performed that night. We have no video from her October 24, 2008 show at the Living Room. A subsection devoted to all her early shows before she was well-known is coming soon. Stay tuned.

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.

We have video of three songs from her December 16, 2008 show at the Living Room: "The End of the World", "Trash Magic", and "Yayo". But we don't know how many songs she performed that night. We have no video from her October 24, 2008 show at the Living Room. A subsection devoted to all her early shows before she was well-known is coming soon. Stay tuned.

thank you Evil :D

tumblr_nqgjv3rg7p1si48w3o1_540.gif

does anyone by chance know what resources lana uses for her videos, other than youtube? this is random (and a serious long shot) but i'm looking for the footage from diet mtn dew (v.2) with the hot, shirtless mechanics smoking cigarettes haha

http://vimeo.com/35468849

(at 0:41, and 1:41) =)

i dunno how she managed to find so much beautiful archival footage ughh

ZRBNill.jpg

I'm gonna ask this again: How much time did Lana stay at Kent and did she ever formerly study metaphysics?

Based on her yearbook photo, she was at Kent at least three years. Supposedly she studied philosophy when she attended Fordham, possibly with an emphasis on metaphysics.

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.

does anyone by chance know what resources lana uses for her videos, other than youtube? this is random (and a serious long shot) but i'm looking for the footage from diet mtn dew (v.2) with the hot, shirtless mechanics smoking cigarettes haha

Anytime i've heard her speak on the subject, she has only ever mentioned YouTube. You can see it too in the footage, the compression artifacts are very visible, in varying degrees, in all the found footage in her videos. I've always found that interesting, how that places her in the current era, she is a product of these times, the generation that grew up online. And that little detail, the fact that shitty video compression is a big part of the aesthetic of her videos, is another reason why i classify Lana Del Rey as a postmodern artist, and shun all those labels that suggest that she's merely a throwback to a bygone era.

I don't know where that footage that you're asking about comes from, but i just noticed that in the Diet Mtn Dew video she used footage from that

! Which i still haven't ordered but intend to. It looks so, so great.

I'm gonna ask this again: How much time did Lana stay at Kent and did she ever formerly study metaphysics?

Re: studying metaphysics, Maru wrote the following in THE CLUSTERFUCK THREAD:

Lana claims to have graduated by correspondence -- apparently her professors were v. understanding of her pursuing her career as a singer. I'm just thinking about all the hoops you'd have to jump through at my university to complete in-class courses via correspondence and it's making my head spin... and it kinda makes me inclined not to believe her, but I don't know the protocol/professors/deans at Fordham. It could be true. :shrugs:

If she graduated, she has a philosophy degree. Her focus, or major research paper may have been focused in metaphysics if she did graduate, although the requirements for a philosophy degree at Fordham don't mention a major research paper or having a particular focus. I'm inclined to say metaphysics was her favourite out of the branches/doctrines/movements in philosophy in her studies, but she didn't have any formal, intense study in it.

Then again, what do I know? :creep:

I personally don't think she graduated...

"The limits of my language mean the limits of my world." -Wittgenstein

I'm not sure the clips in particular, but Lana uses primarily YouTube. When I've been collecting clips for my videos, I've run into a lot of clips Lana has used herself.

Based on her yearbook photo, she was at Kent at least three years. Supposedly she studied philosophy when she attended Fordham, possibly with an emphasis on metaphysics.

Re: studying metaphysics, Maru wrote the following in THE CLUSTERFUCK THREAD:

Thank you, I wish we had more info on these. According to David Nichtern she was senior in college in 2007, she was too old back then to be a senior unless he's lying what I don't think so and it leads to think she never got to study philosophy but I'm confused

2wn4whw.png

Guest Maru the Cat

Thank you, I wish we had more info on these. According to David Nichtern she was senior in college in 2007, she was too old back then to be a senior unless he's lying what I don't think so and it leads to think she never got to study philosophy but I'm confused

Well, Lana mentioned that she didn't go back to college straight after graduating highschool, and chose to go back to Lake Placid and waitressed for a bit. It's hard to know how much truth there is to any of this, though. That timeline of her being a senior could work... 5 years ago, she would've been 22, and that's on par with a college senior that took a year off. (She was apparently approached at the beginning of her Senior year, I believe).

For her sake, I hope she really did graduate -- not because those with post-secondary education are somehow ~better~ -- but because it's really shitty to make false claims about an academic career. Also, so many actors/singers drop out when faced with an opportunity, hell, Brad Pitt dropped out only two credits short of a degree! If she did lie, it's not anything worth lying about.

Um, why has the title of this thread been changed? This is becoming the Clusterfuck thread 2.0...

Oh jeez, the title was right when I merged it yesterday--and yes I did merge because it didn't put anything out of order. Well, that's the part where another fair moderator steps in and stops it from becoming a clusterfuck. Instead of...not.