Monicker

Minor General Questions that Don't Deserve Their Own Thread

So Lana sold copies of AKA outside some of the venues she performed at before she became famous. What do these copies of AKA look like? I feel like I have a genuine copy of AKA sold at one of those shows just bc of how authentic they look. Like, it has Lana's old record label info on it and a booklet and everything. The CD is even printed with fancy art.

giphy.gif

10 hours ago, baddisease said:

So Lana sold copies of AKA outside some of the venues she performed at before she became famous. What do these copies of AKA look like? I feel like I have a genuine copy of AKA sold at one of those shows just bc of how authentic they look. Like, it has Lana's old record label info on it and a booklet and everything. The CD is even printed with fancy art.

•  

i thought those were all fake?? vinyls weren’t really big back in 2006-2010 right? 

3 minutes ago, 99centlips said:

i thought those were all fake?? vinyls weren’t really big back in 2006-2010 right? 

there are no vinyls. the thing i have is a CD, and the CDs were real.

giphy.gif

12 hours ago, baddisease said:

•  

Does it look like this? https://www.discogs.com/Lana-Del-Rey-Lana-Del-Rey-AKA-Lizzy-Grant/release/8545867

Because that's a fake/fan made one.

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png

2 hours ago, baddisease said:

How did Lana react to the leaks of Sirens, From the End, and Young Like Me (her May Jailer songs)?

in general she's never really acknowledged may jailer era but she did leave a comment on a yt upload of "a star for nick" way back, said something like "idk how you got this song, i was 17 when i recorded it". 

Glitter Graphics: the community for graphics enthusiasts!kendrick Longie (jaydon23longie) - Profile | Pinterest Fireworks - Jitter.Bug.girl, fireworks , glitter , gif - Free animated GIF  - PicMix

I'm currently working on something and I found myself stuck. I don't know where else to ask this, so... what is exactly a "witchy" sound? I know LFL og concept was more dreamy/mysterious, but is there any other example of "witchy" songs?

I really need your help, y'all :defeated:

My rose garden dreams set on fire by fiends... :illumilana2: 

8 minutes ago, plastiscguy said:

I'm currently working on something and I found myself stuck. I don't know where else to ask this, so... what is exactly a "witchy" sound? I know LFL of concept was more dreamy/mysterious, but is there any other example of "witchy" songs?

157852e4da9ff5b7ec834e7a2eac795d.gif

13 minutes ago, plastiscguy said:

I'm currently working on something and I found myself stuck. I don't know where else to ask this, so... what is exactly a "witchy" sound? I know LFL of concept was more dreamy/mysterious, but is there any other example of "witchy" songs?

"witchy" has basically become a meme at this point on lb, but i'll try to answer this to the best of my ability.

it's funny, because now that i think about it, i don't really know what lana songs are truly "witchy". a while back, and i'm talking 2017 / 2018 i would of considered cherry to be "witchy", and now i don't really at all, there's nothing about the song that constitutes it being "witchy". another example could be serene queen since i think the lfl era in general is associated with the "witchy" aesthetics, such as the album trailer, but to me, serene queen is not really "witchy", when i listen to it, i feel like i'm hula hooping with a ring of blue fire in a desert. another track that i feel like is commonly associated with the fabled "witchy" aesthetic is the first lfl demo, but to me, that song is more "spacey" than anything.

i feel like perhaps the most "witchy" song in lana's discography is probably "season of the witch". to me, a song that is "witchy" would have some eerie, almost halloween like elements to it, to stretch this even further, the song may not necessarily have a "witchy" sound, but may contain lyricism and imagery that is "witchy", and i think a good example of that could be raise me up, with lyrics such as "it's the voodoo mississippi south, sixty nine million stars, birds are flying out of my mouth, spirits creeping in my yard".

i didn't mean to write an entire essay but, hopefully this helps answer your question. :defeated:

Glitter Graphics: the community for graphics enthusiasts!kendrick Longie (jaydon23longie) - Profile | Pinterest Fireworks - Jitter.Bug.girl, fireworks , glitter , gif - Free animated GIF  - PicMix

@plastiscguy this is what I wrote when Serene Queen linked and people started using the term ~witchy~ 

I don't really agree this song is witchy, but it sounds like "How Soon Is Now?", and that is the kind of turn-of-the-century sound that lot of people would subconsciously associate with 'witchy'. Also, thematically, multilayered vocal-lines in a sing-song fashion that repeat the same thing over and over make it sound a spell or an incantation. People said similar things about the three timed repetition on 'The Blackest Day'. And then, the final consideration is the 'dark' sound which I guess might be construed as dangerous or mysterious.

Again, I don't think it's witchy at all - however, there are factors which contribute to how I can see why some people would say that. A lot of discourse at the time (like Lana 'hexing' Trump, and the camp Sabrina like references in the LFL trailer) really contributed to the idea that the album would be mystical, so I think people are drawing extra inspiration from that. FWIW I don't consider most of Florence's music as witchy either.

I think what people attempt to understand as witchy is it's characterised by these terms:

• Lyrics that relate to otherworldly elements (heaven, hell, magic, ritualism), relate to a synergy with nature (mother earth, dusk, twilight, forests, undiscovered terrain) or ritualism (hexes, paganism, magic again, curses, revenge, scored and jilted promises). Also, peculiar delivery, and the combination of strange concepts that make it seem foreign and somehow unrelatable without a deeper knowledge of the content.
  • Instrumentation and atmosphere that doesn't sound natural - electronic beats that create a disparate sound, heavily echoed and reverbed vocals, instruments with heavy filters to distort away from the acoustic feel. On the other hand, a deliberate mix of traditional, baroque style instrumentals like flutes, bone chimes and musical saws can also evoke this feeling.
  • Minor key - not as bright, dark tonality, occasionally with clashes in notes that make the music more tense or mysterious

I actually don't think Lana has many of these songs, the best examples are actually the Lust for Life demos, and Season of the Witch. However I think the peak form of ~witchy~ is the Lust for Life album trailer (which definitely includes all the elements from above) and actually probably the best non-songs being Bare Feet on Linoleum or Land of a 1000 Fires. 

Despite what I said above, Florence has some good examples of 'witchy' music on her album Ceremonials - Seven Devils too but the best is Leave My Body, which is complete with a gospel choir, strange vocal processing throughout and leaving the song, themes about leaving the mortal plane. Lana doesn't have anything that would be witchy in comparison. 

But like @LemonadeHeavens said, witchy is essentially a meme on Lanaboards. :fabcat:

3lfQEhw.png

2 minutes ago, LemonadeHeavens said:

"witchy" has basically become a meme at this point on lb, but i'll try to answer this to the best of my ability.

it's funny, because now that i think about it, i don't really know what lana songs are truly "witchy". a while back, and i'm talking 2017 / 2018 i would of considered cherry to be "witchy", and now i don't really at all, there's nothing about the song that constitutes it being "witchy". another example could be serene queen since i think the lfl era in general is associated with the "witchy" aesthetics, such as the album trailer, but to me, serene queen is not really "witchy", when i listen to it, i feel like i'm hula hooping with a ring of blue fire in a desert. another track that i feel like is commonly associated with the fabled "witchy" aesthetic is the first lfl demo, but to me, that song is more "spacey" than anything.

i feel like perhaps the most "witchy" song in lana's discography is probably "season of the witch". to me, a song that is "witchy" would have some eerie, almost halloween like elements to it, to stretch this even further, the song may not necessarily have a "witchy" song, but may contain lyricism and imagery that is "witchy", and i think a good example of that could be raise me up, with lyrics such as "it's the voodoo mississippi south, sixty nine million stars, birds are flying out of my mouth, spirits creeping in my yard".

i didn't mean to write an entire essay but, hopefully this helps answer your question. :defeated:

lmao yes! I'm aware everything is "witchy" to LB :lmao: but I was really curious, cause I've never been able to associate a sound to that "witchy" concept. I thought a dark/mysterious vibe would fit, but I think that's more ambiental/cinematic.

Perhaps there's a different way to describe the witchy sounds, depending on the person? For example, Cherry and Serene Queen really give me witchy vibes, cause they're dark songs (sonically) but they also have a sexy vibe, if that makes sense. I suppose I associate witchery with sexyness :creep: so I guess, it's subjective?

"Witchy" is in the eye of the beholder indeed :makeup: but thank you for your input, it really helped me! :defeated: perhaps I should look more into halloween songs as well :ohno:

My rose garden dreams set on fire by fiends... :illumilana2: 

1 minute ago, plastiscguy said:

lmao yes! I'm aware everything is "witchy" to LB :lmao: but I was really curious, cause I've never been able to associate a sound to that "witchy" concept. I thought a dark/mysterious vibe would fit, but I think that's more ambiental/cinematic.

Perhaps there's a different way to describe the witchy sounds, depending on the person? For example, Cherry and Serene Queen really give me witchy vibes, cause they're dark songs (sonically) but they also have a sexy vibe, if that makes sense. I suppose I associate witchery with sexyness :creep: so I guess, it's subjective?

"Witchy" is in the eye of the beholder indeed :makeup: but thank you for your input, it really helped me! :defeated: perhaps I should look more into halloween songs as well :ohno:

you're welcome! and thank you for giving me the opportunity to talk about lana's artistry and how it's perceived by the listener! i would agree that it's definitely subjective, a lot of factors play into how different people perceive, interpret, and enjoy music. i've heard some people describe "maha maha" as witchy, and i can understand why, because of the supernatual, other-worldy imagery, despite being more colorful and upbeat in it's instrumentation.