Your Girl Lana

Kill Kill

not to bump a hella old thread or anything (even though i've already done that like five times lol) but i didn't see anyone mention this so far:

i think the origin of the title, besides the "too-boring original title" story, is from the old movie "faster pussycat! kill kill!" with Tura Satana. it's right up lana's alley, here's a short plot summary: 

"Three wild, uninhibited go-go dancers—Billie, Rosie, and Varla, dance at a club before racing their sports cars across the California desert. They play a high-speed game of chicken on the salt flats and encounter a young couple, Tommy and Linda, out to run a time trial. After breaking Tommy's neck in a fight, Varla kidnaps and drugs Linda.

In a small desert town, they stop at a gas station where they see a wheelchair-bound old man and his muscular, dim-witted son. The gas station attendant tells the women that the old man was crippled in a railway accident, “going nuts" as a result, and that he received a large settlement of money that is hidden somewhere around his decrepit house in the desert. Intrigued, Varla hatches a scheme to rob the old man, and the three women follow him back to the ranch, with their captive in tow."

there's a couple more paragraphs on the wikipedia but you don't need it all, but isn't that just so lana?? go-go dancers, racing cars in the desert, bad sexy women, gas stations, robberies, etc... really makes a lot of her lyrics in other songs fall into place too. of course, lots of movies from this era (1965) have very, very similar themes, so i'm sure this is far from the only piece of media that influenced her around this time, but yeah. 

tumblr_mpa5s93jmR1s8gmjao1_500.gif

Nurf-noir Hawaiian glam metal fabulousness

If by not 'up to par' you mean distilling the worst elements that only kind of work in songs, sure. I could put a dictionary audiobook on shuffle and put it to an instrumental of old money and some of y'all would still be saying it's 50/50 lmfao.

8LQ1.gif

I heard this a few months ago while I was fishing in Juneau AK. We were out on the boat and had the radio on, then I hear over the wind and waves this familiar sound. I was like TURN IT UP! It was so strange hearing her on the radio, especially this song. It made me proud that her earlier stuff is still circulating.  

I suddenly woke up remembering Kill Kill was also known as Florida Dark at some point. That sounds like an amazing title, but is there like a back story on it? Or do we have any theories about that title?

"I'm wild, I'm free, no man can handle me"

:lanahairflip2:

5 hours ago, Glitter Boy said:

I suddenly woke up remembering Kill Kill was also known as Florida Dark at some point. That sounds like an amazing title, but is there like a back story on it? Or do we have any theories about that title?

i think it's because she titled her youtube upload of kill kill v2 as "florida dark"

ezgif-1-9fe66f8123