Jack

Melanie Martinez

5 hours ago, Ultra Violet said:

Agree with all these you listed (except nurse's office which is such a shame). But it took me almost a year to get into those on K-12. It all felt so anticlimactic compared to crybaby, but the smoothness of the K-12 songs did come through. It was like how Honeymoon sounded so quiet and empty on the first few listens but the more you played, the more you realised how the sound was just on a different level. Obviously K-12 isn't comparable to Honeymoon but I can appreciate that it's softer and less chaotic than crybaby now. 

And accepting that her sound was changing let me appreciate After School more on first listen, even though Brain & Heart and The Bakery are the only ones I still listen to. 

It's cuz those are the best songs on After School! I wasn't feeling the other ones tbh. She's a great writer, she just could have produced the other songs better

Lana Del Rey, Maggie Lindemann, Banks, Melanie Martinez, & Taylor Momsen are my guardian angels 

19 minutes ago, CinnamonGirl said:

guys idk what y’all are talking about with After School I have Glued, Test Me, Field Trip, Brain And Heart, Numbers, and The Bakery (the only song I don’t rlly listen to is Notebook)

They're all nice and the writing is great! (Agreed that notebook is a little lesser tho). I hope we get the instrumentals tho cause that's what really helps me appreciate some songs more, as it did with K-12.

if they were leaked without my knowledge I'm gonna scream 

9 hours ago, new gods said:

unpop opinion but i hope she plays around with autotune more, that vocal effect used on her k-12 virtual show suits her well. also more vocals like the ones used in numbers :flutter:

it sounded better towards the end of the show like in the bakery and glued but up towards the beginning, especially in play date, she didn't sound like herself. I think it has a time and a place, but she needs to know when that is. 

21 hours ago, Salem said:

That does make sense, and that may be why I never liked the track: It didn't fit, and it wasn't meant to be there. I think recess was never meant to be released, but that's my personal opinion. I also don't think Drama Club, at least, not in its current form, was meant to make the album. 

I think Drama Club was a part of an earlier version of the album that was supposed to be less musicalish and more like CryBaby. The lyrics are better than other K-12 songs (besides the repetiveness of the chorus) and its a lot less literal than other K-12 songs while also holding up the school them. Its alot more like CryBaby songs which tell a story while also being able to be more relatable and written like its own thing instead of feeling more like a blend of one thing. The production is also better than most other K-12 songs although it feels like she watered it down to make it fit the rest of K-12. But I feel like theres a whole group of demos or just songs that werent even produced that were part of a K-12 that told a story through letting you build the image in your mind through good writing instead of telling it without subtleness, Drama Club was probably a part of that and the only one that made its way to the final project. The album probably originally sounded more diverse lyrically and sonically too, I kinda think that she changed the verses of alot of songs to be more musical-ish and alot of them have original versions that are more written like Crybaby but thats probably just in whatever place she writes her songs before going to the studio so we'll never get that version of the songs... but she worked on the songs for like five years so it makes sense to me that she overthought and overworked on them until she watered it all down into one thing trying too hard for it to fit together and be movie-like, so who knows, maybe there is a whole album of CryBaby style written K-12 outtakes and maybe even K-12 demos that are like that. So I think Drama Club was made more when she had started the album after releasing CryBaby and had the theme less figured out and more like... loose? Which is why it sounds like a CryBaby outtake. Also im kinda out of it rn so sorry if this doesnt make sense.

6 hours ago, untilsunrise said:

I think Drama Club was a part of an earlier version of the album that was supposed to be less musicalish and more like CryBaby. The lyrics are better than other K-12 songs (besides the repetiveness of the chorus) and its a lot less literal than other K-12 songs while also holding up the school them. Its alot more like CryBaby songs which tell a story while also being able to be more relatable and written like its own thing instead of feeling more like a blend of one thing. The production is also better than most other K-12 songs although it feels like she watered it down to make it fit the rest of K-12. But I feel like theres a whole group of demos or just songs that werent even produced that were part of a K-12 that told a story through letting you build the image in your mind through good writing instead of telling it without subtleness, Drama Club was probably a part of that and the only one that made its way to the final project. The album probably originally sounded more diverse lyrically and sonically too, I kinda think that she changed the verses of alot of songs to be more musical-ish and alot of them have original versions that are more written like Crybaby but thats probably just in whatever place she writes her songs before going to the studio so we'll never get that version of the songs... but she worked on the songs for like five years so it makes sense to me that she overthought and overworked on them until she watered it all down into one thing trying too hard for it to fit together and be movie-like, so who knows, maybe there is a whole album of CryBaby style written K-12 outtakes and maybe even K-12 demos that are like that. So I think Drama Club was made more when she had started the album after releasing CryBaby and had the theme less figured out and more like... loose? Which is why it sounds like a CryBaby outtake. Also im kinda out of it rn so sorry if this doesnt make sense.

I want the original list of k-12 to get leaked, or the full demo for the principal or SOMETHING. I miss her god tier crybaby style. 

it's been a few months since it came out After School and know i realize that i just listned to it completly only two times. Crybaby is one of my favourites albums, k12 it was good, but this new EP uggg i tried to like it but nahh not for me :toofunny:

Hd7c-1.gif

12 minutes ago, Eclipse said:

Isn't it a cover from before CB?

idk like every masterpost i checked there's stated that it's from cry baby but it does seem it's from dollhouse era for me

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7jpqyd46ox5igmjru9y

2 hours ago, annedelrey said:

it's been a few months since it came out After School and know i realize that i just listned to it completly only two times. Crybaby is one of my favourites albums, k12 it was good, but this new EP uggg i tried to like it but nahh not for me :toofunny:

Same, the only songs that I find consistently listenable are the bakery and glued. Test me can be but it gets annoying fast and has this religious undertone that I don't like. In general I think she made the EP *too* personal which makes the songs hard to relate to and get into beyond just liking the sound. Brain and heart I think could've been better but it was poorly done instrumentally and the vocals aren't overly unique (as expected from Keenan ?) Field trip was just *really* wordy which makes it rythmically weird, and numbers has this weird audio quality issue? Overall, you can tell it wasn't recorded to the same standards as k-12 and DEFFINETLY not the same standard as Crybaby. It is the exact low quality you can expect from Keenan productions. Nothing too much to say about Notebook other than it's very obviously a Keenan dis track and I find it hilarious. 

Why can’t one of these gays hack and leak all of her stuff like they do with Charli. Waiting for her to release something is boring as hell. At least during the CryBaby era there was some anticipation leading up to everything she released 

K-12 and her shitty release schedule pretty much ruined all the hype she had afterwards lol

15 minutes ago, Mermaid Hotel said:

K-12 and her shitty release schedule pretty much ruined all the hype she had afterwards lol

YEP. This is why I entirely support when things leak a few days early: she pushes them back again and again and again. She almost never releases her music in the time frame she says she will and then when she does it's just... Meh. Someone needs to just leak all the demos and unreleaseds, because we need things like I scream solo, Nd I'm sure there's a copy cat solo too. 

did "where do babies come from" ever leaked? i remember wanting this song so back way back then but since the end of cry baby era i'm not really keeping up with melanie, i just know she released an album and ep a while ago lol