Jack

Melanie Martinez

42 minutes ago, Glitter Boy said:

Not here for the rankings, but now that we're on it, here are mine.

I like this system better so I'mma list mine the same way. 

Crybaby Era

1: Sippy Cup

2: Tag, You're it

3: Gingerbread Man

4: Mad Hatter

5: Teddy Bear

6: Cake

7: Carousel (acoustic only)

8: Dollhouse

9: Alphabet Boy

10: Pity Party (acoustic) 

11: Mrs Potato Head (acoustic) 

Don't Like: Soap, Milk and Cookies, Pacify Her, Play Date

K-12 Era

1: Detention 

2: Show and Tell

3: The Principal 

4: Class Fight

5: Orange Juice (would be higher, but I find "stick it down your throat" Kind of gross) 

6: Strawberry Shortcake

7: Teachers pet

8: Highschool sweethearts 

Don't like: Nurses office, wheels on the bus, recess, drama club (I full on hate this one, it's so repetitive), lunchbox friends. 

After School 

1: Test Me

2: The Bakery

3: Glued

4: Fire Drill

5: Numbers

6: Note book (not a huge fan, but I listen to it) 

Don't like: Brain and heart, field trip, copy cat (Tierra, not melanie), notebook. 

I know we're doing the ranking stuff now and I dont mean to bring up something that caused a huge arguement back up but I thought that burning sage wasnt the problem itself? I thought it was buying it from huge white corporations that are basically profitting off of that culture unfairly esp since sage can be expensive or difficult to get (I think im not sure about that part but even if its not it doesnt make it any less wrong) and that if you do use it you should give credit where its due (to the indigenous cultures) instead of appropiating it and buy it from them to support them instead of those huge white corporations (or grow it yourself if you cant do that???)

Im not saying that as in "no youre wrong this is the issue not that" im honestly asking because Ive read or heard about that a bit and how to appreciate the culture and give back to the people of that culture instead of stealing from it and appropiate it, but I dont know if thats right or now so Im here to hear y'all out and learn and listen

but what I definetly immediately knew was a problem was when I saw her twerk while burning it :noparty: thats just undeniably disrespectful

and people shouldnt see this as some sort of spite or #cancelmelanie thing people just want her to learn and grow from her mistakes since she probably doesnt know and people wanna basically educate her especially since she has an audience and can influence alot of younger fans or fans in general who also dont know and might think its okay to do the same thing, nobody is angry or having a fit theyre just trying to help educate her and everyone in general to stop the disrespecting of cultures and its growing popularity because its harmful, no reason to get mad or offended/defensive nobody is trying to end her career

^ and thats not about anyone specific just about fanbases in general who get too defensive whenever their faves get called out, like Marina and Lana (who are two other singers I love but if someone does something wrong things need to be said which people shouldnt interpret as a threat to their career or something like that)

1 hour ago, untilsunrise said:

I know we're doing the ranking stuff now and I dont mean to bring up something that caused a huge arguement back up but I thought that burning sage wasnt the problem itself?

I'll DM you with some info! 

I know we're doing the ranking stuff now and I dont mean to bring up something that caused a huge arguement back up but I thought that burning sage wasnt the problem itself? I thought it was buying it from huge white corporations that are basically profitting off of that culture unfairly esp since sage can be expensive or difficult to get (I think im not sure about that part but even if its not it doesnt make it any less wrong) and that if you do use it you should give credit where its due (to the indigenous cultures) instead of appropiating it and buy it from them to support them instead of those huge white corporations (or grow it yourself if you cant do that???)

Im not saying that as in "no youre wrong this is the issue not that" im honestly asking because Ive read or heard about that a bit and how to appreciate the culture and give back to the people of that culture instead of stealing from it and appropiate it, but I dont know if thats right or now so Im here to hear y'all out and learn and listen

but what I definetly immediately knew was a problem was when I saw her twerk while burning it :noparty: thats just undeniably disrespectful

and people shouldnt see this as some sort of spite or #cancelmelanie thing people just want her to learn and grow from her mistakes since she probably doesnt know and people wanna basically educate her especially since she has an audience and can influence alot of younger fans or fans in general who also dont know and might think its okay to do the same thing, nobody is angry or having a fit theyre just trying to help educate her and everyone in general to stop the disrespecting of cultures and its growing popularity because its harmful, no reason to get mad or offended/defensive nobody is trying to end her career

^ and thats not about anyone specific just about fanbases in general who get too defensive whenever their faves get called out, like Marina and Lana (who are two other singers I love but if someone does something wrong things need to be said which people shouldnt interpret as a threat to their career or something like that)

Sorry I'm spoilering because long posts are apparently triggering and automatically toxic.

CA can be very subjective in nature, especially when there isnt total agreement within said cultures. So I honestly think if you want to avoid offending anyone then it's best to go the cautious route and not participate in whatever it is at all. There are always other alternatives.

For those who for some reason (obvious reasons really) want to keep doing the thing, then they need to be prepared for criticism and the subsequent conversation every time.

Agree with everything else you've said btw :)

since we're doing rankings and i love to do them here are mine

Cry Baby (2015)

1. Pacify Her

2. Soap

3. Mrs. Potato Head

4. Teddy Bear

5. Tag You're It

6. Sippy Cup

7. Milk and Cookies

8. Training Wheels

9. Mad Hatter

10. Pity Party

11. Cake

12. Cry Baby

13. Play Date

14. Dollhouse

15. Alphabet Boy

16. Carousel

K-12 (2019)

1. Detention

2. Lunchbox Friends

3. High School Sweethearts

4. The Principal

5. Teacher's Pet

6. Show & Tell

7. Orange Juice

8. Nurse's Office

9. Drama Club

10. Strawberry Shortcake

11. Wheels On The Bus

12. Recess

13. Class Fight

After School (2020)

1. Fire Drill

2. Numbers

3. Glued

4. Field Trip

5. Test Me

6. The Bakery

7. Brain & Heart

8. Copy Cat

9. Notebook

36 minutes ago, Salem said:

Idk how y'all like her entire discography ? the only artist I like the entire discography of is Hollywood Undead. 

tbh i don't really care for k-12 but there's many other artists i love who's whole discog i like (one of them is the artist this whole site is dedicated to)

Cry Baby stan list

1.Pacify Her

2.Pity Party

3.Alphabet Boy

4.Tag, You're It

5. Milk and Cookies

6.Cake

7.Dollhouse

8.Bittetsweet Tragedy

9 Training Wheels

10.Soap

11.Mrs Potato Head

12.Sippy Cup

13.Teddy Bear

14.Play Date

15.Carousel

16.Cry Baby

17.Mad Hatter

18.Gingerbread Man

19.Dead to Me

i'd say it depends on how often i listen to each of them cuz the whole albume is that damn thing, right one in a million

TOP Unreleased

1.Rocking Horse 

2.WDBCF?

3.Bombs on Monday Morning

4.Haunted

5.Dressed in Mistakes

6.99 Cent Stord

7.Zzzz

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7jpqyd46ox5igmjru9y

2 hours ago, Salem said:

Idk how y'all like her entire discography ? the only artist I like the entire discography of is Hollywood Undead. 

all the kids in the hood come on wave and shake ur hands :beyonce::beyonce::beyonce:

2 hours ago, Salem said:

Cry Baby songs (not only album tracks, the era in general) are incredibly good

K-12 is boring and I don’t know half of the tracks of the album and the ones I do I like just a few 

k-12 is not as ugly as you all want it to be. of course if you compare it to cry baby it sounds boring, but k-12 is good too. if you think about it it’s basically the soundtrack to the movie, rather than a pop album like cry baby was. of course i prefer the album to be more about the music than visuals, but at the end of the day k-12 remains a cool project, considering the movie and everything and i think it’s fun to listen to. except for the opening and the closing tracks, those are ugly lmao

come to my house let's die together, friendships that would last forever

It took me a while to enjoy it but K-12 is nice, although the school theme had soooo much more potential to be better. I wish she didn't use so much budget on CGI and magical powers so that the plot could have been understandable. I also wish she didn't add powers to the CB storyline at all cause it makes it feel less relatable, but that's just my opinion. 

DapperSkeletalBergerpicard-max-1mb.gif

now the boys want a taste of the strawberry shortcake

9 hours ago, Salem said:

Melanie is not the only one that I like (most of) her entire catalogue:

Lana Del Rey

Charli XCX

Sia

Kerli

Florrie

MARINA

Rina Sawayama

Sky Ferreira

Dua Lipa

Bastille

Imagine Dragons

Tove Lo

Adele

Christina Perri

Ava Max (lol one album and some singles but yeah)

Banks

EMM

Ellie Goulding

Fiona Apple

Rita Ora

Paloma Faith

Lorde

I don't know who else tbh :oprah3: I never get bored of my library :bop: and there are constant additions to it too :kris: 

"I'm wild, I'm free, no man can handle me"

:lanahairflip2:

20 hours ago, EXODUS said:

I'm not being rude to you, how come you are to me? 

Me telling to keep yourself out of a thread, that we can see you haven't been in by cliking on your profile is not rude but okay

19 hours ago, Salem said:

^^^^ don't tell me my cultures practices are open when they're not or closed when they're open. Listen to POC instead of talking over them. 

Sure let's all skip the other points I brought up cause I'm from latinx descend and have also use sage for decades to fit a narrative of people not listening to you.

19 hours ago, KeybladeMeister said:

Lmao can this thread be locked until there's something worth talking about...

that would be a blessing to this fandom TBH

19 hours ago, Ultra Violet said:

I thought a valid discussion was going. Some of you just really hate the mention of cultural appropriation bc you don't wanna think about how your fav artists could ever do wrong, even though none of us were saying Mel is a bad person.

I was trying to have one by bringing the usage of sage in other countries, that has nothing to do with burning it ... for the exact reason we were all discussion she does wrong things but not with malice (execept some that will literally say she do shit for attention)

2 hours ago, Sonofmoonshine said:

Sure let's all skip the other points I brought up cause I'm from latinx descend and have also use sage for decades to fit a narrative of people not listening to you.

I decided not to go off on your colonization defender mindset because it would've created an argument. That said, white sage is *not* the herb you are thinking of. You're thinking of salvia, a type of sage fit for human consumption. White sage is not edible in the proportion you claimed as it is mildly toxic and, in large amounts, is fatal. 

1 hour ago, Salem said:

I decided not to go off on your colonization defender mindset because it would've created an argument. That said, white sage is *not* the herb you are thinking of. You're thinking of salvia, a type of sage fit for human consumption. White sage is not edible in the proportion you claimed as it is mildly toxic and, in large amounts, is fatal. 

I am not talking about salvia as that is also commonly known by that name.
White sage leaves are dried for medicinal tea and its seeds are used in powdered form (in small dosages as for its size) on many dishes for both flavouring and rituality.

Spoiler

"I decided not to go off on your colonization defender mindset"
I'm not american and latinx ... colonization mindset is the last thing you'll find me to have and be

"I am very aware that colonization spread the practice, as I also mentioned Palo Santo which is too endangered." - remember when I said this on page 528 of this thread?