Jack

Melanie Martinez

why didn't she release this. this was for crybaby? I have goosebumps. it has After School energy what the fuck. next level shit. I'll stop spamming now. this is a fucking phenomenal track tho it would've elevated Crybaby 

On 5/19/2021 at 12:56 PM, Danny Milk said:

does anyone have more info about those 2 pics that leaked in 2018 which seem to be from an early album cover concept from k-12. im surprised we never get more photos from that shoot

EFa9FXkXkAAS0hK.jpg

Honestly these simple visuals are such a serve. The concept is everything we wanted for her next album..

R5sPD4M.jpg

13 hours ago, Salem said:

It's been a theory for every project she's ever announced since Crybaby. 

the Secret Garden theory or the carnival/circus theory?

13 hours ago, LiFELiNE said:

page 666 who would want to do satanic rituals with me

Ill join then maybe we can get GDL

20 hours ago, Salem said:

Renting an entire castle for a month wiped out half the budget. As beautiful as it was, it really meant she had to sacrifice a LOT of other things. 

21 hours ago, Say Yes to Heaven said:

I am pretty sure they meant by spending so much on shooting in another country + at a castle basically. She put herself to such high expectations and it kind of fell flat

yeah they explained what I meant better

22 hours ago, DinahLee said:

You estimate how much you actually need for the movie while writing the script. Just the idea of "oh yeah let's make it 3 hours!" is out of reality. She didn't have the practice for long-film writing (because well... it IS different of writing a cute treatment for your music video without dialogue, sequences or anything at all). That's what I meant with "doomed from the start", she could have the greatest ideas for the whole concept, it needed the right hands to trimmer it.

She always aimed higher with the "aesthetic" side than the "story", so it's great she managed to produce something in such a huge escale in Hungary. It's actually cheaper to shoot on location in some "smaller" countries in Europe than actually doing it in studio\location in US. 6 Million budgets is still crazy but she probably owned that after Cry Baby having its own success and touring endlessy to have the money plus saving with these cheap songs from K12 but that's another topic.

My point is that K-12 doesnt represent Melanie's writing that well because the final product ended up being chopped and way different from what it was supposed to be. For all we know the 3 hour version couldve been an amazing movie cuz it wouldve given time to explore all the issues she dove into more and get into character development and it couldve had a much better flow. It couldve also been terrible obviously I dont know if it was better but the fact that she had to chop more than half of the story into pieces definetly ruined the story. I mean imagine taking ur fave movie and chopping off like more than half of it, it wouldnt be the same movie at all.

But I do think bad writing is still there, because she couldve condensed the movie in a better way if she was willing to simplify the story and just make it a more simple "creepy fucked up school with twisted pastel matilda shit" and remove stuff like the teachers pet plot, strawberry shortcake, oj, etc. stuff that needed more time to be well put together in the story. She couldve only included some songs that dont have such heavy stories in them and then releases those more serious ones as singles or made an ep where she makes music videos about these topics that adds to K-12 and explores a different side of the story, which wouldve been more interesting to see too. 

The original movie was probably alot better so I do think budget and expensive location are largely at fault but youre right bad writing is too. Melanie clearly wasnt willing to change the direction of the movie and instead of truly rewriting the story to condense it in a way that makes sense she just decided to basically chop the story into pieces and remove literal chunks of it and hope for the best and Id consider that bad writing.

2 hours ago, untilsunrise said:

the Secret Garden theory or the carnival/circus theory?

Ill join then maybe we can get GDL

The circus theory. 

On 5/17/2021 at 5:03 AM, One with the Gods said:

Some VC leaks also happened. The Mrs. Potato Head demo fake but the rest like Eraser recording session and Dead to Me Kinetics are real

Mercury played them with leaked Charli XCX songs and unleaked Madison Beer songs

Nvm apparently the Potato Head one was real too, you just gotta unpitch it

On 5/19/2021 at 2:35 PM, Salem said:

Not only this, but even as a timeline the film made NO SENSE. Like Class Fight and the Principal + Lunchbox Friends, Orange Juice, and Detention are all very clearly events that should logically be in ONE DAY, but not only has Melanie said each song is a different year, it's shown class fight is in 1st grade but by the time she gets back from the principal's office she's suddenly in 3rd grade? The timeline itself doesn't work. Unless cry baby is a time traveler and we all just missed that point entirely, the whole thing is a mess. Also were not even gonna get into the fact the locations of k-12 clearly suggest it took place in the 1800s around the Victorian era despite Crybaby's locations all suggesting we were in the 1950s or 1960s.

this conversion is a couple days old but i haven't been viewing this thread lately and i thought i'd give my two cents :creep:.

i absolutely hated how each song is supposed to represent a different year that she was in school when in the movie most of the songs served as immediate consequences to previous songs (class fight and the principal, show & tell and nurses office, lunchbox friends & orange juice) and the fact that she was starting in first grade alludes that she was 1-7(?) during everything that occurred during cry baby.. i always imagined cry baby getting older as the album goes on hence the themes getting more mature and by the end she would've at least been a teenager cause what toddler is comprehending the idea of plastic surgery and stealing someone else's boyfriend? the giant metaphor that the character original was got completely squashed by putting her in school. i think it would've made more sense had the follow up album been about the 4 years of high school which would not only make more sense for the character but the album could've been a lot more relatable by focusing on depression, anxiety, drug use, and the oppression and insecurities teenagers face caused by their peers.. you know, shit that people in school can actually relate to.. anyway i'm just really hoping she ditches the child themes for the next album, she has so much potential and she's proven she knows how to write good music outside of that concept she just has to be able to move forward.

i love you, but you don't understand me.

1 hour ago, new gods said:

. i think it would've made more sense had the follow up album been about the 4 years of high school which would not only make more sense for the character but the album could've been a lot more relatable by focusing on depression, anxiety, drug use, and the oppression and insecurities teenagers face caused by their peers.. you know, shit that people in school can actually relate to.. 

Songs like Eraser actually suggest that this was the original plan. She changed it for some reason.