Jack

Melanie Martinez

9 hours ago, Mermaid Hotel said:

I feel like her more of her fans should be talking about this but ofc when I brought it up at some point I was attacked  :awkney:

It's taken as an insult instead of constructive criticism, probably. Melanie is very talented, but she won't be able to keep up with her own music if she doesn't take her vocal damage seriously and rest. She's been using extremely stressful vocal techniques without proper training for years too, which can't help.

8 hours ago, COLORINGBOOKS said:

I'm pretty sure they snippeted the worst vocal takes on purpose :rip:

Maybe, but it doesn't sound like there were many better takes. A lot of these recordings clearly ended up being used in her demos/finals. She seems to be using autotune as a crutch lately and drowning her vocals in her instrumentals, which is telling. Even on her worst performances during the "Cry Baby" era, the recordings hardly needed autotune.

10 hours ago, ButterflyBones said:

I knew her voice was damaged after the tours and sickness, but it's worse than I thought in "Garden_2". :crai:

Pushing through the strain isn't helping her. I hope she takes a legitimate break after the new album comes out and takes time to rest her voice without the pressures of recording and performing.

Idk if a break would help(didn't she do that already?), it seems like it's permanently damaged, unfortunately... 

I don't know how well a break would help her voice since she really doesn't perform live all that often. I mean, she went off of tour for a few years after Cry Baby and still her voice was damaged on the K-12 tour. I think the smoking kind of damaged her voice to the point where it's going to be forever challenging (not impossible) for her to perform live at big shows with dancing/loud instruments. She is still a really great singer, but she doesn't do well with a lot of movement + singing (not a lot of people can tbh)

She should definitely seek professional training to help with her vocals on tour, iirc didn't she say she has always practiced just by herself? I think getting vocal training could help her improve a lot and fix some of the damage caused by the smoking.

giphy.gif 

59 minutes ago, missanthrophocene said:

Idk if a break would help(didn't she do that already?), it seems like it's permanently damaged, unfortunately... 

Unfortunately, true vocal damage like Melanie's is usually permanant. I don't think her voice is unuseable, but I don't think she's going to be able to continue singing the way we are used to for much longer. The technique she's using for that babyish tone throughout most of her discography isn't good for your voice, especially when you've already got vocal damage. She's shown in some of these recent tracks, like Test Me and Leeches that she's fully capable of singing with a less babyish tone. Beginning to smoke again earlier this year deffinetly did not help her in the recent sessions but I do think people are too quick to blame smoking for all of her problems. There's a lot of things that went into the damage to her voice and it's really being blamed on one factor because it's easier to blame her smoking than the idea that it's poor technique or her heavy scheduling for the Crybaby and K-12 tours. I do think another aspect of why Melanie sounds so bad on some of these mm3 sessions is just the mic she's using. (Which is the Shure SM7B, you can see it on the Instagram post from February 11th of this year) The mic she's using is meant for podcasts, so in a vocal performance she's having to push harder than she would for a propper vocal mic. Overall, I think it's just a lot of factors combining to make her voice sound especially bad on these sessions. 

2 hours ago, Gravitate said:

She should definitely seek professional training to help with her vocals on tour, iirc didn't she say she has always practiced just by herself? I think getting vocal training could help her improve a lot and fix some of the damage caused by the smoking.

I don't think the smoking is the problem. Plenty of other major singers smoke daily and sing perfectly well, and although I'm not a professional, I can safely say I've been smoking for years now and I've had no problems with my singing voice.

I think the biggest problem (aside of singing while sick and touring ofc) is her using stressful techniques and fighting against her own voice. She seems to push herself into an uncomfortable pitch too often as well. For instance, if she admitted to having trouble hitting the notes for "Play Date" live, I can't imagine the tones she used throughout K-12 were any less stressful for her. She's definitely done permanent damage to her voice, but hopefully if she rests and takes the time to learn better techniques, she can stop the damage from progressing further.

20 minutes ago, Wessdude said:

She took a break early, stop smoking and she took vocal classes. The damage is permanent. Doing the baby voice really hurt her

If you look back at old shows of her live, such as this one, you can actually tell that similarly to Britney Spears (who, like Mel, has pushed a babyish tone for years) once had a strong alto ranged voice. I think so long of pushing that baby voice is a huge factor to the vocal damage. The insane touring schedule deffinetly hit hard too but that's common under Atlantic. 

Guys, I really mean no offense but can we please stop talking about things that are obviously not real? If it has not been posted or talked about already, chances are it is probably fake. If something real leaks, you will hear about it :heart:

giphy.gif 

10 hours ago, Gravitate said:

Guys, I really mean no offense but can we please stop talking about things that are obviously not real? If it has not been posted or talked about already, chances are it is probably fake. If something real leaks, you will hear about it :heart:

Especially if the "leak" comes from Dbree, spammers galore. That "Fingers Crossed V4" is definitely fake, and "Key of the Castle" is probably just a fan-edited version of "Hard AF Beat". I wouldn't be on the edge of my seat for any more major leaks after all we got this year. I'm just hoping people don't get desperate like they did with K-12 and try to leak the whole album the day before it releases, lol.

:rip::rip::rip:

𝕀 𝕔𝕝𝕠𝕤𝕖 𝕞𝕪 𝕖𝕪𝕖𝕤, 𝕒𝕥 𝕟𝕚𝕘𝕙𝕥 𝕀 𝕨𝕚𝕤𝕙 𝕥𝕠 𝕣𝕚𝕤𝕖 𝕗𝕣𝕠𝕞 𝕒𝕝𝕝 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕕𝕦𝕤𝕥