Jack

Melanie Martinez

Trying to have an actual story line instead of just a "concept album" really limits the songs and makes a lot of them un-enjoyable outside the concept of the album. Like Milk and Cookies and Tag You're It are really weird songs and super unrelatable outside of the album itself because they lyrics are completely about the crybaby storyline and don't really have any sort of lyrics or themes someone could relate to (unless you've been kidnapped:crai:).

3bd05eb1685d7f9b53b154c4195388d9.gif

❀˖° ⋆.ೃ࿔ this is my idea of fun °❀⋆.ೃ࿔*:・

1 minute ago, The Siren said:

the consciousness of Cry Baby moved onto a different body/lifeform. Cry Baby's identity in the previous two albums is now dead. now shes this four-eyed Faerie/Siren thing?

also, think of the concept of Reincarnation, but add in the fact that you carry your thoughts and personality into the next life i guess?

2 minutes ago, taco truck said:

Like Milk and Cookies and Tag You're It are really weird songs and super unrelatable outside of the album itself because they lyrics are completely about the crybaby storyline and don't really have any sort of lyrics or themes someone could relate to (unless you've been kidnapped:crai:).

Amazing songs. I love storytelling in lyrics 

𝕪𝕠𝕦 𝕒𝕣𝕖 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕡𝕙𝕒𝕟𝕥𝕠𝕞, 𝕗𝕠𝕣𝕖𝕧𝕖𝕣 𝕚𝕟 𝕞𝕪 𝕙𝕖𝕒𝕕 

the consciousness of Cry Baby moved onto a different body/lifeform. Cry Baby's identity in the previous two albums is now dead. now shes this four-eyed Faerie/Siren thing?

I know, and that's why people are saying Melanie isn't totally letting go of the Crybaby storyline. Because she's keeping crybaby as the main character and just having her be "reborn" as something else (even if this "reborn" version is very different), instead of just letting her die and moving on.

3 minutes ago, taco truck said:

Trying to have an actual story line instead of just a "concept album" really limits the songs and makes a lot of them un-enjoyable outside the concept of the album. Like Milk and Cookies and Tag You're It are really weird songs and super unrelatable outside of the album itself because they lyrics are completely about the crybaby storyline and don't really have any sort of lyrics or themes someone could relate to (unless you've been kidnapped:crai:).

you dont need to have personally experienced a song's topic/lyrical content to enjoy the song itself.

i mean have any of us personally experienced any of the lyrics in A&W :crai:

1 minute ago, Coloringbooks said:

Amazing songs. I love storytelling in lyrics 

They are fun songs! But they have always felt like some weird mini-sub plot in the Cry Baby album just because Melanie wanted to make it darker and add more of a "plot":crai: 

you dont need to have personally experienced a song's topic/lyrical content to enjoy the song itself.

i mean have any of us personally experienced any of the lyrics in A&W :crai:

i guess i worded that wrong, what i mean is the lyrics are veryyyy literal and there is no actual emotion she is expressing. it's just " i got kidnapped and i killed him haha edgy lolz". Crybaby seems to be a concept album that is really a character study, but Melanie needs to have a "storyline" for her music videos so she adds songs like these that don't add to the emotional depth of crybaby, only add to the storyline.

3 minutes ago, taco truck said:

They are fun songs! But they have always felt like some weird mini-sub plot in the Cry Baby album just because Melanie wanted to make it darker and add more of a "plot":crai: 

I always assumed Tag You’re It has a double meaning of assault or something along those lines. IMO it’s fairly applicable to other scenarios. M&C not so much. I still think it is a banger on its own. 

topsters2-2-1.png

It's a beautiful life, remember that too, for me.

13 minutes ago, Frangipani said:

The artwork is so obviously a bjork rip-off :air:

Melanie's always been open about being a Björk fan. I wouldn't call it a ripoff if she wants to pay homage while putting her own spin on it.

It's not like the aesthetic is a Björk invention anyways— a quick Google search shows that her makeup artist was doing similar stuff long before they started working together. 
3a32aaf376a9e3de7159e9952a6e3c4d2d2dd6b4

Not to mention, people have done moss/fungi imagery long before her.

𝕪𝕠𝕦 𝕒𝕣𝕖 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕡𝕙𝕒𝕟𝕥𝕠𝕞, 𝕗𝕠𝕣𝕖𝕧𝕖𝕣 𝕚𝕟 𝕞𝕪 𝕙𝕖𝕒𝕕 

11 minutes ago, taco truck said:

I, for one, am glad she made a kidnappers anthem :fabcat:

4 minutes ago, The Siren said:

vocals in the bridge of Wheels on the Bus is probably one of my fav vocal moments of her albums so far (pre-Portals) :hype:

Also the bridge in Cry Baby and Alphabet Boy? She slayed those!! 

Just now, BowOfLove said:

I, for one, am glad she made a kidnappers anthem :fabcat:

:dance:

I don't think I've ever listened to a full Melanie Martinez album but I fkn loved "Bombs On Monday Morning" after I heard it on TikTok back in 2020. 

⊹ (:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅[̲̅:♡:]̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅) ⊹ 

𓊔 I took the miracle move on drug 𓊔

⚕️ The effects were temporary ⚕️

⊹ (:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅[̲̅:♡:]̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅) ⊹ 

11 minutes ago, The Siren said:

You know, it's funny you say that - tangental *it's about me* moment - that's part of why Cry Baby hit me hard. VERY specifically Dollhouse. That was my family, on a surface level. I had the parents covering shit up. I had the cheating Dad. I had the sibling who was dabbling in drugs. I had to be the "role model" child. Parents went from being literal millionaires to not being able to pay the light bill and using the laundromat because of their own dumbassery, but whipping us kids to "keep up appearances" and just swallow our issues. Like that song just *got* me, and the albums concept of a troubled childhood just sunk right in like lotion on dry skin.

https://i.imgur.com/bErPX2C.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/eg66WzZ.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/T4h12ME.png
🎶 Art decorates space, but music decorates time 🎶

Melanie is actually pretty good at song writing, most of her songs have some dark or clever lyrical meaning she’s underrated tbh… I think her song production is a little dated and repetitive and that’s what catches listeners attention first sadly. 

Arches are Illusions solid at first glance