Jack

Melanie Martinez

Did Melanie start doing snips like this with big crybaby ACC's BC she knows how much we thirst when hoarders do this with unreleased? We get a low quality of it from a fan then obsess for a few hours until Melanie drops it, it's similar to low quality unreleased snips leaking in low quality than high quality later in the day...

20 minutes ago, LunaeManifestum said:

Is it me or are the vocals from the snippets not mastered?… if its the aesthetic of the era then ok 

Exactly, they feel like they weren’t recorded in a studio and the production is just eating all of the vocals up and we can barely hear it :oprah2:

I am no longer excited right now. These snippets are so disappointing, the sound quality is a mess, the lyrics are cheesy as hell.. It's not even completely terrible by itself, but it's fucking atrocious compared to most of the leaks we've heard. It's like all of the depth, maturity, and growth got tossed in the trash in between then and all of this.

I would kill for the version of PORTALS that we thought we were going to get by now. I just can't with these past 3 snippets especially. They're fucking bad.

2 minutes ago, ButterflyBones said:

I am no longer excited right now. These snippets are so disappointing, the sound quality is a mess, the lyrics are cheesy as hell.. It's not even completely terrible by itself, but it's fucking atrocious compared to most of the leaks we've heard. It's like all of the depth, maturity, and growth got tossed in the trash in between then and all of this.

I would kill for the version of PORTALS that we thought we were going to get by now. I just can't with these past 3 snippets especially. They're fucking bad.

I hate to admit it but I don't enjoy any of the new content we have seen being teased for this project. Tunnel Vision being put on the final tracklist had initially given me some hope but when it's paired with songs like EVIL, which I still cannot get over the one vocal in, I find myself growing less and less interested. It's especially frustrating when it seems like she took a step up with After School and even more so with these early sessions only to return to k-12 (or, at this point, slightly below) levels of quality. I especially wanted to love this project, but I second your thoughts that the maturity we saw from the earlier tracks seems entirely lost in favor of writing songs that sound almost as if they were written and produced to market to children instead of the teens and adults she previously marketed herself to.

15 minutes ago, Salem said:

I hate to admit it but I don't enjoy any of the new content we have seen being teased for this project. 

I was with her until Spider Web. :smokes3: Everything past that has not been for me, and the extreme vocal distortion isn't helping. I don't even mind the genre switch- my favorite new snippet segment has been "pipe down with the noise, I cannot bear my sorrow. I hate who I was before" from VOID.

I just can't stand that her music seems to be regressing in maturity and quality lately. I was expecting more(or maybe less, in a good way) from all of this. But hey, it ain't about me.

Aside from Spider Web, I don’t think the lyrics have been glaringly bad. I would say Void and Death seem pretty empty and not relatable, but we are talking about less than 30 second snippets against the bigger picture of a 3:00-5:00 song. 

While Melanie had some great lyrics in the Cry Baby era, there’s some bad moments too:

I don’t give a fuck about you anyway, whoever said I gave a shit bout you? Iconic yes, but not great lyricism.

Getting drunk with a blue caterpillar. I’m peeling the skin off my face, cuz I really hate feeling safe. If we got that line in a snippet, we would be saying it sounded as bad as Spider Web, but Mad Hatter is one of the best tracks on CB. 

And if we saw a track called Mrs Potato Head ahead of Portals, I’m sure we would be cringing. 

Maybe she gave us those small clips of Faerie Soirée and Tunnel Vision to tell us those were the leaks that were making the track list, along with a clear re-work of Sirens into Void. The TV intro is almost exactly like the demo, with the breath sounds too. 

I’m discouraged at times too, but I’m trying to think in terms of the big picture as well (and praying to Mother Spider for TV and N&T)

topsters2-2-1.png

It's a beautiful life, remember that too, for me.

1 hour ago, sadness is a butterfly said:

Aside from Spider Web, I don’t think the lyrics have been glaringly bad. I would say Void and Death seem pretty empty and not relatable, but we are talking about less than 30 second snippets against the bigger picture of a 3:00-5:00 song. 

While Melanie had some great lyrics in the Cry Baby era, there’s some bad moments too:

I don’t give a fuck about you anyway, whoever said I gave a shit bout you? Iconic yes, but not great lyricism.

Some of these "snippets" have been really long(over a minute even). Not all, but some. Of course there's plenty of room for us to be surprised but still. It's not all just 10-20 seconds we're talking about here.

And as far as the lyricism goes, Cry Baby may not have had perfect lyrics in every line, but the overall writing of the album is infinitely stronger than almost all of her later material. It delivers flow and rhythm that her new music doesn't, and the metaphors may have been on the nose at times but they weren't just corny. The names of the songs also fit way better with the theme than any of these new MM3 titles. I would love to have the same level of excitement for this album that I did a few months ago but I think I'm just going to have to wait and see what ends up coming out.

i think Void is best snippet we have so far, maybe even the first “back from the dead” snippet tbh. the larynx one was okay but tbh i dont rlly dig her voice in the first part but the chorus is good

Tbh the only snip I really like is the announcement one, where she comes out the egg, it reminds me of sirens, but don't we have the title and it isn't sirens? 

2 minutes ago, Yellow said:

Tbh the only snip I really like is the announcement one, where she comes out the egg, it reminds me of sirens, but don't we have the title and it isn't sirens? 

its been linked with that software thing to be part of Void/Track 2.

topsters2-2-1.png

It's a beautiful life, remember that too, for me.

32 minutes ago, ButterflyBones said:

Some of these "snippets" have been long enough for us to safely judge the overall song. Not all, but some. Of course there's plenty of room for us to be surprised but still. It's not all just 10-20 seconds we're talking about here.

And as far as the lyricism goes, Cry Baby may not have had perfect lyrics in every line, but the overall writing of the album is infinitely stronger than almost all of her later material. It delivers flow and rhythm that her new music doesn't, and the metaphors may have been on the nose at times but they weren't just corny. The names of the songs also fit way better with the theme than any of these new MM3 titles. I would love to have the same level of excitement for this album that I did a few months ago but I think I'm just going to have to wait and see what ends up coming out.

you make some valid points tbf, but as Sadness is a Butterfly said, we only have snippets to go off of. even if the complete song was only 2:00 long, 30-40 seconds is not enough to make a final judgement on the song as a whole.

1 minute ago, ItsRavenHunty said:

plot twist she was gonna release all the leaked songs and her label made her rerecord the whole album with all new songs

i think we mentioned before that Mel has full creative control (you may have been offline for that tho) :eek:

8 minutes ago, The Siren said:

you make some valid points tbf, but as Sadness is a Butterfly said, we only have snippets to go off of. even if the complete song was only 2:00 long, 30-40 seconds is not enough to make a final judgement on the song as a whole.

I have made my judgements thus far under the understanding that these are snippets, and do intend to listen to the album through at least once to form final opinions, but snippets certainly do give you enough to get a feel for a project and can build or damage your level of hype. 

That said: I am still holding out hope for at least some old content to make the cut, since this new content sounds almost unfinished in the way there's vocal effects yet not vocal mastering, and there seems to be little to no mixing in that she is often hard to hear and understand.

1 minute ago, The Siren said:

i think we mentioned before that Mel has full creative control (you may have been offline for that tho) :eek:

oh wow that i did not know she had full control hopefully the album still turns out good