Jack

Melanie Martinez

Just now, misslonaxo said:

Ngl, I'm anticipating some sort of double feature or Tropico/G.U.Y. style short film dropping. I think she's going to try and tell part of the story that narrates the film thru a few put together videos. Especially now that VOID is looking to be released soon hopefully a midnight EST release tn! 

im expecting either a double or a tripple feature. DEATH/VOID/TV all sort of tell the transition from being Cry Baby to being this alien faerie

Just now, Coloringbooks said:

How can you even tell what the chorus mixing of Womb sounds like from that 5kbps in-store voice memo recording 💀

The particular video I'm listening to was recorded right next to a speaker and generally sounds pretty clean, you can definitely tell the chorus is over-produced in comparison to the verses from this quality. I'd post it here, but the songs aren't out yet so I'm not sure that that'd be allowed. 

14 minutes ago, Anonymcomenter said:

Really surprised young Crybabies don’t shit their pants from their stupidity… I though with that limited mind process they wouldn’t be able to control their sphincter!

curious to see if they are capable of reaching the adult life without forgetting to breath, because that much idiocy… hard to believe

its not that hard, you are going to a LISTENING party, not a SHARE YOUR STUPID OPINIONS WHILE THE SONGS PLAY party :agree2:

they need to be put down, they’re clearly in pain… only things they say are “go queen!! You ate and left no crumbs!!! This lowkey a bop (refering to SW 🤮), Mel can’t make a bad song!!) while literally not paying attention to the album! 

just what I said… listening to the “recordings” and I can hear so little of the songs…

this fans are the worst I swear… waste of oxigen 

12 minutes ago, sadness is a butterfly said:

Ok my thoughts below. The experience was terrible. 90% of the people were talking and moving around, browsing records. I found a little spot with two girls who were quiet and listening. Except a woman next to me was talking on the cell phone the entire time. NOTHING like the quiet, seated listeners at Lana’s event yesterday. 

thoughts in spoiler 

Reveal hidden contents

Void: Good, no immediate thoughts. Feels long. I prefer Evil.

Tunnel Vision: some production changes, pre chorus seems stripped back. Outro has some effects added, it sounds good. There is a second part of the outro from the developing video right before Faerie Soiree.

Faerie Soiree: Very similar but has a fairly long outro that sounds similar to Light Shower

Light Shower: Leeches 2.0

Spider Web: not great. The verses and chorus sound like different songs, it’s really bizarre. The verse part is not bad but the separation is really weird. There is a part where it kind of speeds up which I enjoyed.

Leeches: very little change from demo, there may be more instrumentation but the bass was way too cranked in the store to tell.

BOTL:  this one sounded better than I expected. Some tasty production, layered guitars, good drums, Her vocals are fairly clear sometimes and distorted other times. Has a great pause before the last chorus and the drums come crashing in.

The Contortionist: there’s a lot of weird dead space with background sound effects between BOTL and this track. The cracking sound effects are a bit much for me. Nurses Office PTSD. Her vocals are pretty clear on this one, she sounds great. Has a bit of a trap beat in part of the chorus. 

Moon Cycle: the entire store shouted the opening line. 💀The instrumentation is very good, this song has a good beat and melody if you didn’t listen to the lyrics. There’s a trap beat on this one too. Improved from the demo. 

Nymphology: fucking wild. I’m either going to love it or hate it, I haven’t decided. Vocals are weird. Somewhat childish sounding, but also fun. The spelling part is annoying. The bridge is terrible imo, she sounds like a little kid and the ‘penis’ line is soooo pronounced. 

Evil: I like the rap. easily the second best to Tunnel Vision. The first half, the production seems kind of off, restrained? 

Womb:  it’s catchy but kinda boring. Basic song, nothing special about it. Maybe the most average basic pop song she’s ever put out. 

what was your fave song?

7 minutes ago, Salem said:

The particular video I'm listening to was recorded right next to a speaker and generally sounds pretty clean, you can definitely tell the chorus is over-produced in comparison to the verses from this quality. I'd post it here, but the songs aren't out yet so I'm not sure that that'd be allowed. 

well where can we find it? :defeated:

2 minutes ago, sadness is a butterfly said:

Tunnel Vision but nothing would beat that song imo. Otherwise Evil, and I honestly really liked BOTL. 

What about Nymphology and The Contortionist? I’m just listening to them in recordings and they sound “at least” interesting 

Just now, The Siren said:

well where can we find it? :defeated:

Obsidian Pearl on youtube, they're still uploading the rest of them but they have a good few up already. 

Just now, Anonymcomenter said:

What about Nymphology and The Contortionist? I’m just listening to them in recordings and they sound “at least” interesting 

Yeah I’d say they’re both interesting. They’re either going to grow on me or not. I’d say they are both kind of outside of the box as far as the rest of the album goes. So at least she’s trying something.

I’m not sure I’d call the album cohesive. N&T, Garden, Sirens would have fit the vibe better than Womb, Nymphology, The Contortionist, and Light Shower.

topsters2-2-1.png

It's a beautiful life, remember that too, for me.

4 minutes ago, sadness is a butterfly said:

Yeah I’d say they’re both interesting. They’re either going to grow on me or not. I’d say they are both kind of outside of the box as far as the rest of the album goes. So at least she’s trying something.

I’m not sure I’d call the album cohesive. N&T, Garden, Sirens would have fit the vibe better than Womb, Nymphology, The Contortionist, and Light Shower.

The thing is… as much as I HATE Spider Web and Moon Cycle, they make sense thematically and sonically within the album (all the fairytale, forest and nature themes) but Battle Of The Larynx makes no fucking sense… like, it’s just a “rockier” song that doesn’t fit the album and the lyrics don’t even reference anything mythological or medieval… also, is a horrible song

same with Light Shower but at least this one fits a little more… 

Garden, Dragons Blood, Needle and Thread or even Barely Juice make much more sense thematically!! 

After hearing everything either live or from the listening event recordings, there's only 5-6 tracks I really see myself going back to after I listen through the album once. I don't really like the way transitions are added into every single song to try to force the album to feel more cohesive when they don't really match (ex: the poetry-esque thing at the end of Faerie Soiree trying to force a transition into Light Shower just sounds odd and doesn't fit into the track, the same can be said for the nature sounds stuck onto the end of Spider Web to transition into Leeches). I will likely be taking the tracks I do like into FL Studio and clipping off the transitions where they don't fit, because I would definitely prefer to listen to the mastered tracks over the demos. I feel like an album can exist without tracks being super similar so trying to do the transitions just made it feel more like a problem than it is. 

2 minutes ago, Salem said:

After hearing everything either live or from the listening event recordings, there's only 5-6 tracks I really see myself going back to after I listen through the album once. I don't really like the way transitions are added into every single song to try to force the album to feel more cohesive when they don't really match (ex: the poetry-esque thing at the end of Faerie Soiree trying to force a transition into Light Shower just sounds odd and doesn't fit into the track, the same can be said for the nature sounds stuck onto the end of Spider Web to transition into Leeches). I will likely be taking the tracks I do like into FL Studio and clipping off the transitions where they don't fit, because I would definitely prefer to listen to the mastered tracks over the demos.

I agree, it was distracting. Though it was hard to hear, so I will see if they sound better in my own headphones/speakers.

topsters2-2-1.png

It's a beautiful life, remember that too, for me.