Jack

Melanie Martinez

Just now, FkaIl said:

The difference is that, while both have nauseating subject matter, Milk Milk Lemonade is still a catchy well-written pop song and would've fit just fine on Teenage Dream: The Complete Confection (besides to her 10 y/o fans, maybe). It's a lot less direct and you don't get any "bb boy you know I'm on my period, yuh!" moments

For sure, Milk Milk Lemonade is far better written, my point was more so that it's thematically similar, and I kind of wish it had, just as MML did, remained an outtake. 

Good to know my store wasn’t the only one with absolutely soul crushing amounts of bass. These files are so boomy :lmao:

3 minutes ago, LunaeManifestum said:

She really elevated TV to the next level wow its easily one of the best of the album -and the unreleased sessions

Her best song ever released yup:true:

topsters2-2-1.png

It's a beautiful life, remember that too, for me.

Okay my thoughts, top three:

Battle of the Larynx - The Contortionist - Nymphology

1. Death is good, we all knew that. 
2. Void - I’m not the biggest fan, i honestly prefer the 2020 version. 
3. Tunnel Vision is really good, I love the new production. 
4. Faerie Soirée - I liked the demo better, all the beats feel really off in this version. 
5. Light Shower - one of the lower peaks of the album. Leeches is better and too similar, I wish a different song made it here honestly. 
6. Spider Web - It’s middle of the road for me. I love the verses, I just don’t love the breakdown. It’s the “soap” of the album for me.

7. I love all the added orchestra to leeches. Made a great song amazing. Love love love it. 
8. Battle of the Larynx is my favorite “rock” song of the album. The pre chorus is my favorite and I think it has the best chorus of the three. 
9. The contortionist ATE. It’s amazing. It’s reminiscent of Cry Baby and K-12 but still feels current too. I think it’s the most “Melanie” feeling song. 
10. Moon Cycle- I wasn’t looked forward to this because I hate the demo but it’s bearable. Still my least favorite on the album, but I wouldn’t skip it. 
11. Nymphology - The production is EVERYTHING and it’s my favorite on the album. It feels euphoric like “so happy I could die” did by lady Gaga. 
12. Evil’s intro was a lot of fun and then it got super choatic in a good way and the song is good. It’s an album highlight. 
13. Womb is serving basic pop girly and I like that. It also reminds me of something that would have been played in Shrek 😂😂. And the fact that its outro makes it go into the first song seamlessly is nice. 

Banks   Billie Eilish    Evanescence   Florence + the Machine

Grimes   Halsey   Lady Gaga   Lana Del Rey   Lights   Lorde   MARINA   

Melanie Martinez   Poppy   Purity Ring   Sky Ferreira   

7 minutes ago, iJoshicus said:

13. Womb is serving basic pop girly and I like that. It also reminds me of something that would have been played in Shrek 😂😂

Precisely :true: (except I don’t like it)

How she chose this as the closer is a tragedy when Needle and Thread exists!

Mad Hatter was a strong closer on the standard CB, and Cake gave the same energy on the deluxe. We deserve a deluxe to redeem this basic ass track. 

topsters2-2-1.png

4 minutes ago, sadness is a butterfly said:

Precisely :true:

How she chose this as the closer is a tragedy when Needle and Thread exists!

Mad Hatter was a strong closer on the standard CB, and Cake gave the same energy on the deluxe. We deserve a deluxe to redeem this basic ass track. 

scrapping Needle and Thread is heresy. It would fit portals easily like Idk what she was thinking :oprah2:

I can forgive or find reasons why some songs I don’t like that much are on the album, but Light Shower/Leeches are literally the same. Leeches is much stronger, scrap Bukkakke Anthem. And Womb is just blasé. Garden and Needle and Thread could have subbed in very well to offer a little more variety in the same sound scape.

topsters2-2-1.png

4 minutes ago, The Siren said:

Again, to manifest:

Portals (deluxe) EP

01. Sirens

02. Dragon's Blood

03. New song

04. Garden

05. New song

06. Needle & Thread

I wouldn’t mind seeing Fingers Crossed on there :fabcat:

topsters2-2-1.png

28 minutes ago, sadness is a butterfly said:

I wouldn’t mind seeing Fingers Crossed on there :fabcat:

I would so like to see labyrinth in some form as well as the original Void and Death but having an extra ten song release for this era is almost too much? Unless she pulls a Carly Rae Jepsen and decides to release a whole other album's worth of songs as a Side B :defeated:

Would you rather if Melanie had ignored the leaks and released the album of completely new (to us) songs and when the film dropped gave us the leaks as the side B or pulled a Miley Cyrus and had the whole album be just the leaks and gave us new material later? :defeated:

listening right now

i can't with people who have never listened to leaks thinking that the outro of TV was actually the beggining of a whole different song :eartha:

if they only knew about the top notch scrapped tracks from this album

also i kinda like the new Faerie Soiree outro, which is actually the only part of the song i like cause i was never a fan of that song

i also like the outro of BOTL

The Contortionist, idk about her, sounds too much like smth from a past project, also the sneeze part was terrible:trisha:

Moon Cycle omg, the only thing i liked about that song on the leaked version was the instrumental but since that changed, it's not looking good

the first verse on Nymphology is gorgeous, then the chorus hits and from then on the song goes dowhill with those child-like vocals, they're the exact same vocals from Fire Drill, i liked FD but once was anyone, she did not need to repeat that type of vocal production, also the penis part aint it

Spider Web, the verses are good then that weird beat drop ruins everything

Womb is catchy but feels basic and it's a very weak closing track, also that outro, we knew it was gonna lead back to the first track but it feels too forced, she just slapped the "death is life" loop at the end of the song for the transition and that's it, doesn't really flow into it

overall even tho the album has some highlights it feels all over the place

PORTALS the album you could have been:bebe:

(is the album you will be on my playlist once i create my own version replacing some songs with leaked tracks)

Faerie Soiree demo sounds better and tbh she should have scrapped it if it was still going to be just a 1:50 min song for the final, this just looks like a filler and added a outro just to fill in the 2min mark so it could be streamable… Honestly, just waiting and hoping the deluxe is better and she release Sirens and Garden on it but that eill be another year of waiting :bebe:

Doing the first listen now. Spider Web is interesting enough, but I need to sit more with this album. She is a very strange woman to come up with music like this.

quick thoughts on the album

Spoiler

01 DEATH: her strongest opener, one of her best released songs etc. zero complaints about this

02 VOID: the only pop-rock song on the album i tolerate. feels a bit repetitive at some points and I think OG void was better but still a very strong album track. i like the lyrics a lot. 

03 TUNNEL VISION: def my favorite on the album still and the production is even better. 
04 FAERIE SOIREE: this was the one i was most excited for and they ruined it with the production and the fucking vocoder. i'll never forgive her for this but at least we have the demo. 

05 LIGHT SHOWER: the chorus is dire. no musicality at all :rip: reminds me of field trip. the verses have a nice melody but some poorly written lyrics, the developping snippet really is the only great part of the song. feels too long and boring. if she wanted a pure love song she had magnets and needle & thread, both are lyrical masterpieces with catchy melodies. 

06 SPIDER WEB: the song as a whole actually makes a lot of sense, and it's probably in my top 5, it reminds me of dragon's blood. still unsure what the lyrics are about. 

07 LEECHES: i feel like we've heard her talk about this topic a million times but i don't mind it with this song. when it leaked it was one of my least favorites but in the context of the album it's one of the strongest imo. 

08 BATTLE OF THE LARYNX: it's nice, i really like the chorus but it has nothing to do with the concept thematically or sonically, idk why she put it on the album. would be nice on a side b ep i guess. 

09 THE CONTORTIONIST: one of my favorites and one of the most interesting sonically. i missed the sound effects. it reminds me of k12 in a good way. the lyrics on the second verse are questionable but i'll give her a pass. 

10 MOON CYCLE: it's sad because the production on the final version is actually very fitting with the medieval/forest theme and the melody (specially on the chorus) is really pretty but those lyrics are dreadful. this one was the only one i was sure that it wasn't gonna make the cut when it leaked. 

11 NYMPHOLOGY: i'm divided about this song. the chorus is super chanty and childish, it reminds me of fire drill (which is one of my favorite songs of hers) but that time it made sense cause it was an album about school, not sure why she wants to be seen as a deity and then serves this kindergarten anthem. some of the lyrics are terrible but I guess I still like it overall? the production is great. 
12 EVIL: tbh i'm sick of the victim mentality in most of these songs, and the pop-rock sound is so dated it's not cool to be an olivia rodrigo impersonator anymore. it's a fun song but i don't want it to be a melanie martinez song. 

13 WOMB: i will defend this song till the day i die. yes it is a basic pop song but it's what the album needed at this point, the lyrics are great and its a great conclusion for the album imo. 

my dream tracklist

01 Death

02 Sirens

03 Void

04 Tunnel Vision

05 Faerie Soirée - demo version

06 Spider Web

07 Magnets - full with Light Shower outro

08 Synchronicities

09 The Contortionist

10 Needle & Thread

11 Garden