Jack

Melanie Martinez

3 minutes ago, iJoshicus said:

I love the entire album, void is my only eh-song. The rest I haven’t skipped once. 

Any news on a clean version? I don’t see one on iTunes. 

you can probably check if walmart has a censored copy, they always censor their cd's

2 hours ago, Anonymcomenter said:

Thanks to y’all this album release has been soo fun!

Love u :wub:

I don’t think we’ll get more of it though… maybe some videos

I doubt the label will let her do another movie, and I don’t blame them (still have PTSD from K-12) :wowcry:

Definitely agree the album release has been so fun, I feel like a have another lil family here on Lana boards 

I love u guys lmao 🤣 

I hope they say no to the movie and make her give us a deluxe instead with the tracks we want (I know it's not gunna happen but a boy can dream) :true:

Just now, The Siren said:

you can probably check if walmart has a censored copy, they always censor their cd's

Walmart supposedly has the cds (mine are all out go figure) it's explicit I don't see a censored one anywhere 

Jealousy's a disease bitch get well soon

2 minutes ago, AtomicMess said:

ITS. SO. REDUCTIVE.

I wish her visual creativity translated to lyrical creativity on this topic because there's still plenty of potential gold to mine out of the "men only want one thing" digsite, but this song is not doing it for me, and she already did the same schtick with Strawberry Shortcake, so like....

I guess to finish the point here if we're going with a theme about a cycle of life/death/rebirth, then you know, go recycle the topic and pop awff sis or w/e, but I just can't with TV.

https://i.imgur.com/bErPX2C.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/eg66WzZ.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/T4h12ME.png
🎶 Art decorates space, but music decorates time 🎶

4 minutes ago, The Siren said:

I’ll have to go look. I liked how she changed lyrics on crybaby, I’m hoping she had some umm, edited lyrics for Nymphology I could have someone edit into the normal one 😅

Banks   Billie Eilish    Evanescence   Florence + the Machine

Grimes   Halsey   Lady Gaga   Lana Del Rey   Lights   Lorde   MARINA   

Melanie Martinez   Poppy   Purity Ring   Sky Ferreira   

I finally got to listen to that album. (I didnt go to a listening party or listen to a leak, all I had were the released snippets)I really enjoy it! Nymphology was so good! A happy surprise. I don't hate spiderwebs as much once I got it whole. It's fine.

I don't think any of them are skips, except maybe Leeches or Fariree Soiree. I still like them they're just kind of boring for me PERSONALLY.

I LOVE Void down. But tracks 8-13 ARE BANGERSSSSS (yes that included moon cycle)

Posting on LanaBoards for the first time in 10 years to join this discussion... Damn. :fabcat:

I'm loving Portals, but I'm really struggling with the mixing. Am I crazy, or are Melanie's vocals absolutely buried in many areas? The instrumentation sounds flat in random spots and her vocals feel as if they're in a different room at times. It's like things have been fed through a treble reduction EQ, the soundstage is spotty, and some songs still feel like they're in an unmixed demo state. I believe this is most apparent on Evil, although the chorus brings some life into things. It's strange, because the songs aren't consistently flat across the album.

I wouldn't consider myself a full-on audiophile, but perhaps I'm more particular about this. I don't recall a recent release that I've encountered this to such a strong degree. It's a shame, as I feel like with the proper mixing, the album would truly be brought to life.

I've seen a couple comments noting similar observations. Is this a widespread feeling?

tumblr_mbx23q179u1qaliuoo1_250.gif

8 minutes ago, Ben said:

Posting on LanaBoards for the first time in 10 years to join this discussion... Damn. :fabcat:

I'm loving Portals, but I'm really struggling with the mixing. Am I crazy, or are Melanie's vocals absolutely buried in many areas? The instrumentation sounds flat in random spots and her vocals feel as if they're in a different room at times. It's like things have been fed through a treble reduction EQ, the soundstage is spotty, and some songs still feel like they're in an unmixed demo state. I believe this is most apparent on Evil, although the chorus brings some life into things. It's strange, because the songs aren't consistently flat across the album.

I wouldn't consider myself a full-on audiophile, but perhaps I'm more particular about this. I don't recall a recent release that I've encountered this to such a strong degree. It's a shame, as I feel like with the proper mixing, the album would truly be brought to life.

I've seen a couple comments noting similar observations. Is this a widespread feeling?

Yeah there’s definitely something going on with the mixing, but I can’t quite tell if it’s intentional. I went to the listening party, and even with a crowd, Evil sounded really off to me from the first time I heard it. It seems more present in the verses than the chorus, which again leads me to believe it was a stylist choice. As for her ‘buried’ vocals I think it’s something similar. Lots of different effects used on different songs. 

She did pretty much work with one producer on this (aside from TV, but that’s a whole discussion pages ago). He is someone she has worked with some before (Pity Party, Cake, etc), but never as much as she did on this record. Perhaps his technique is somewhat different. One Love was truly her best producer. I’ll blame CJ Baran :w8ing:

topsters2-2-1.png

It's a beautiful life, remember that too, for me.

1 hour ago, AtomicMess said:

ITS. SO. REDUCTIVE.

I wish her visual creativity translated to lyrical creativity on this topic because there's still plenty of potential gold to mine out of the "men only want one thing" digsite, but this song is not doing it for me, and she already did the same schtick with Strawberry Shortcake, so like....

they hold different meanings to me where strawberry shortcake is about her insecurities feeling not enough, what society and men expect of women whereas tunnel vision is more about men solely focused on one thing & rushing sex.

6 minutes ago, sadness is a butterfly said:

Yeah there’s definitely something going on with the mixing, but I can’t quite tell if it’s intentional. I went to the listening party, and even with a crowd, Evil sounded really off to me from the first time I heard it. It seems more present in the verses than the chorus, which again leads me to believe it was a stylist choice. As for her ‘buried’ vocals I think it’s something similar. Lots of different effects used on different songs. 

She did pretty much work with one producer on this (aside from TV, but that’s a whole discussion pages ago). He is someone she has worked with some before (Pity Party, Cake, etc), but never as much as she did on this record. Perhaps his technique is somewhat different. One Love was truly her best producer. I’ll blame CJ Baran :w8ing:

Interesting! I've never noticed these issues with her previous work... Pity Party, Cake, etc. all sound crisp and tight as opposed to the muddiness I'm getting from Portals. Some of the songs leave me feeling like my ears are plugged, which is such a strange experience for a new album. Guess I'll just have to get over it. :crai:

tumblr_mbx23q179u1qaliuoo1_250.gif

38 minutes ago, The Siren said:

edit - i dont think i like her. it seems like she's mimicking AJayII and i dont like that :crossed:

the unreleased one was an absolute NIGHTMARE, she has zero idea :deadbanana: not her calling Under the Desk and Sirens from Cry Baby :rip: 

"I'm wild, I'm free, no man can handle me"

:lanahairflip2:

2 minutes ago, Glitter Boy said:

the unreleased one was an absolute NIGHTMARE, she has zero idea :deadbanana: not her calling Under the Desk and Sirens from Cry Baby :rip: 

i havent watched that one yet im only halfway through the portals one :deadbanana:

also i JUST realized Spider Web could have replaced Labyrinth (if it was ever finished) :eek:

Okay I think I'll go with this as the album:

1. FÆRIE SOIRÉE First half is the demo, and then it features the acapella outro from the released version
  2. BACK FROM THE DEAD Released "Death"
  3. VOID
  4. TUNNEL VISION
  5. SIRENS
  6. DRAGON'S BLOOD
  7. GARDEN
  8. BATTLE OF THE LARYNX
  9. THE CONTORTIONIST
  10. EVIL
  11. FINGERS CROSSED
  12. NEEDLE & THREAD
  13. WOMB
  14. INCONSISTENT FLAME Deluxe version bonus track
  15. LEECHES Deluxe version bonus track; features "Hawaii Space Guitar" as outro
  16. DEATH Deluxe version bonus track; unreleased "Death"

I think some transitions would be great between some of these :brows: 

"I'm wild, I'm free, no man can handle me"

:lanahairflip2:

23 minutes ago, Glitter Boy said:

She irritates me so much 😭. YouTube is always suggesting her to me. Can’t even get through the spoken intro to Sirens without 4 pauses and a monologue 😭

But she knows what’s up, ‘why is this unreleased’ :true: exactly 

Edit: ‘this and Orange Juice are her best songs’ :deadbanana:. Said no one ever. :biblio:

topsters2-2-1.png

It's a beautiful life, remember that too, for me.

i NEED a music video for The Contortionist :trisha:

i can imagine her performing onstage in front of a red velvet curtain wearing some elegant black dress performing the song for a crowd at some high-end fancy event where everyone is drinking champagne and eating caviar wearing their fancy dresses/suits

:trisha:

it'd be so elegant :defeated: