Jack

Melanie Martinez

some (lots) of these lyrics and melodies are annoying (or weak) but can we all agree that melanie's "angry voice" that she often uses on this record is interesting and impressive, it's what separates this record from the rest of her records for me.. her pronunciation also sounds more intentional here than on previous records,, specifically on leeches (it's unfortunate the cuts between vocal takes aren't always polished properly, a good audio engineer could have made it much more convincing and some of these songs would sound MILES more "finished")

Here’s yet another review of the melanie album from some rando who’s been using lanaboards specifically for Mel & never made an account.

My overall rating is a 3/10. Really am disappointed with an album of hers yet again. I’m one of those people who is still holding on crybaby, and I get it’s her “death”, but her entire crybaby concept was genius & what I fell in love with. I listened to a lot of the unreleased from mm3/portals and was hoping maybe she would finally come out with good music. My favorites from the unreleased were tunnel vision, sirens, death (unreleased version), emerald, and faerie soiree. Love the unreleased versions of tunnel vision/ faerie soirée better than the released. Also noticed she added intros and outros to each song. I was expecting so much more from this album, and yet again she keeps her best songs unreleased. I do have one positive to say: I love the ending to nymphology, have had it on repeat and love the styling and how she sings. A lot of y’all probably don’t agree with me and that’s totally okay! Just wanted to voice my opinion as someone who’s been listening since 2014. Will forever miss her crybaby days…her art, the fans, and the whole era I hold dear to my heart. Not saying that because I don’t think it’s her best or my favorite that her concept isnt good, because it is! Just seems super repetitive at this point and seems like with crybaby she put a lot more thought into it. Anyways that’s all I want to say, so sad sirens did not make it on the album, that’s my #1 of all time (was previously night mime, but sirens took it out of the park). Okay I’ll stop this here, feel free to reply or voice your opinions, just wanted to put this out there after listening to to full thing. ((: 

-tunnelovision 

Edited by Tunnelovision

3 hours ago, The Siren said:

edit - i dont think i like her. it seems like she's mimicking AJayII and i dont like that :crossed:

this bitch always pops up in my FY page and I don’t get her either! She’s milking Melanie so much it makes me cringe… it’s so obvious she’s doing it for the views :defeated: 

she has like 100s of videos of the same fucking things, watch her reacting to Melanie’s insta stories next just for clout… :crossed:

she reacts to every little thing and rambles for hours cause she knows crybabies will eat up anything :true: I don’t wanna see a 1h reaction to fucking snippet :toofloppy:

3 hours ago, sadness is a butterfly said:

Yeah there’s definitely something going on with the mixing, but I can’t quite tell if it’s intentional. I went to the listening party, and even with a crowd, Evil sounded really off to me from the first time I heard it. It seems more present in the verses than the chorus, which again leads me to believe it was a stylist choice. As for her ‘buried’ vocals I think it’s something similar. Lots of different effects used on different songs. 

She did pretty much work with one producer on this (aside from TV, but that’s a whole discussion pages ago). He is someone she has worked with some before (Pity Party, Cake, etc), but never as much as she did on this record. Perhaps his technique is somewhat different. One Love was truly her best producer. I’ll blame CJ Baran :w8ing:

I agree with y’all about the mixing but the problem for me personally is the next:

I wouldn’t mind the vocoder thing or the poor vocal production if it was for stylistic reasons… like if she wanted to make a more “amateur” sounding record. But the thing is, that’s just with some songs! Other songs sound perfectly fine and that’s what takes me out of it. One minute you’re listening to Moon Cycle or Tunnel Vision we’re her vocals are clear af and then BOTL or Evil comes up and ruins the mood… idk 

Just woke up and I’m already casually bopping to Tunnel Vision :sluttybunny:

she really did the thing with this song! :defeated:

Makes me wanna dance and reject a bunch of jerks cause I :gclap:know :gclap:my :gclap:worth :gclap: (even if no one approaches me, same as Meghan’s delusion in NO) 

10 hours ago, sadness is a butterfly said:

I love this guy’s reactions, very genuine. Plus he’s cute. 

normally if an australian guy tried talking to me he would get tazed but... I SLOWLY I SLOWLY STARTED TO BE SEDUCTED BY HIM LIKE SHE STARTED TO SEDUCE ME

the last rancid girl in a rancid world

tumblr_o12wrv5btd1qj2b14o1_500.gif

and i don't seem to mind

Do y’all think Melanie has a being eaten alive fetish or something? :oic2: Because she has a history of making multiple videos and songs about that:

Mad Hatter: Eaten by the family as an Ice Cream

Cake: Self explanatory

Strawberry Shortcake: Self explanatory

The Bakery: Eaten as a cookie by the old lady 

Unhappy Meal: Self explanatory

I could never get into her music but i'm gonna give this album a listen wish me luck :um3:

7cf18f916c76496838bb078b36ed9708af32170e

Now that we know Light Shower was the first song written for the album I can see why I dislike it so much, it was really close to the After School era and u can tell by the lyrics! 

It has the same freestyle vibe with all the rambling and nonsense! And I hate hate hate that EP (probably her worst ever) 

3 hours ago, fl0r1dakil0s said:

some (lots) of these lyrics and melodies are annoying (or weak) but can we all agree that melanie's "angry voice" that she often uses on this record is interesting and impressive, it's what separates this record from the rest of her records for me.. her pronunciation also sounds more intentional here than on previous records,, specifically on leeches (it's unfortunate the cuts between vocal takes aren't always polished properly, a good audio engineer could have made it much more convincing and some of these songs would sound MILES more "finished")

I actually think her voice sounds the worst it’s ever done :deadbanana: her pronounciation is also awful in this record- it’s convinced me she has extreme vocal damage honestly because the vocoder is working overtime and sounds bad.

On 3/30/2023 at 4:44 PM, Anonymcomenter said:

Portals:

1. Death                         (2020)
  2. Womb
  3. Dragons Blood
  4. Tunnel Vision
  5. Faerie Soiree
  6. Leeches
  7. Spider Web
  8. Moon Cycle
  9. Garden
  10. Needle & Thead
  11. The Contortionist
  12. Nymphology
  13. Void                            (2020)

Okay but I need this tracklist as official ASAP :trisha:

fixing some of the interludes and polishing the mixing plus some lyric changes (the “penis” and “pee” related ones to be exact) this could be AOTY

This would slap sooo hard and the story makes so much sense! What a I missed opportunity :crai:

Ps: Before someone comes for my neck, I love Evil but in the context of the album it doesn’t make much sense to me… (sonically is more rock and the lyrics mention leaving him on read… in a fantasy world talking about text messages??) 

I would have released it as a stand alone single to respond to Olivia Free like she did with Piggyback. Also with Battle Of The Larynx as a B-side, just for that outro.

1 hour ago, rabbit boi said:

wait a damn second bc nymphology kinda all the sudden got me :beyonce:,,,

It's such a fun silly song, I love it

𝕪𝕠𝕦 𝕒𝕣𝕖 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕡𝕙𝕒𝕟𝕥𝕠𝕞, 𝕗𝕠𝕣𝕖𝕧𝕖𝕣 𝕚𝕟 𝕞𝕪 𝕙𝕖𝕒𝕕