Jack

Melanie Martinez

26 minutes ago, Voignamir said:

im so grateful english isnt my first language so i can ignore moon cycle's AND spider web cringy lyrics and listen to two portals top songs on replay :hottie: 

English is not my first language either but I can't unhear the lyrics now :bebe: so they became skips I guess. Same with Nymphology. The rest are much better for me

"I'm wild, I'm free, no man can handle me"

:lanahairflip2:

2 hours ago, Glitter Boy said:

Same with Nymphology. The rest are much better for me

I'm sorry but Nymphology is the worst song on the album for me. I genuinely don't understand it. The lyrics are cringeworthy, the production is bland, and it overall sounds like it was made by and for edgy teenagers.

It's just Fire Drills less interesting, more annoying little sister.

So we entered the “bashing the album era”

:crai:

Portals is good and a step up from K12, I like the alien/fairy/spirit persona she created for this era. The only thing that I dont like is the vocal mastering choices in some songs. At the end of the day she saved the era with the Deluxe songs and the masterpiece that is The Contortionist and Evil (the lowpass filter still a horrid choice tho)

27 minutes ago, ButterflyBones said:

I'm sorry but Nymphology is the worst song on the album for me. I genuinely don't understand it. The lyrics are cringeworthy, the production is bland, and it overall sounds like it was made by and for edgy teenagers.

Yep, it's the mandatory skip. I never liked it and honestly the chorus is so rubbish lmao

12 minutes ago, LunaeManifestum said:

Portals is good and a step up from K12, I like the alien/fairy/spirit persona she created for this era. The only thing that I dont like is the vocal mastering choices in some songs. At the end of the day she saved the era with the Deluxe songs and the masterpiece that is The Contortionist and Evil (the lowpass filter still a horrid choice tho)

It was not my intention to bash the album just like that :bebe: Portals is definitely a step in the right direction in all fronts since K-12/After School, but I honestly still feel a little hesitant about the project as a whole.

Aside from so many intros and outros that sometimes do not add much to the tracks looking at you, Faerie Soirée and The Contortionist intros, and the vocal production in many songs, the album definitely has strong points and some career highlights imo (Tunnel Vision, The Contortionist, Evil, Pluto).

I'm definitely happy we got the deluxe because in the end I love all three new songs and it was a nice addition - I can happily ditch skip Moon Cycle, Nymphology and Spider Web, keep the deluxe tracks and not fearing an extra short album. It's just it's taken me longer than other Melanie albums to fully enjoy even K-12, back in the day I bopped to most of that but now... I don't, but I have hopes that it will grow on me with time.

And probably I still mourn for the loss of Needle & Thread, Fingers Crossed and the original Death, Garden and the original Void too. But that's on me because I was so avid for new material that I gave in to the leaks year and a half ago.

Sorry for the essay :bebe: 

44 minutes ago, LunaeManifestum said:

the bashing started when Spider Web was teased… :bebe:

I’m with you in one thing and that’s the concept being a step up, but the execution is really poor. Specially having in consideration what she left unreleased. Her trying to be “edgy” is actually making the songs less palatable… the cringey lyrics and bland production don’t help either :toofloppy:

1 hour ago, LunaeManifestum said:

Portals is good and a step up from K12

me when I lie :yawn:

Thematically it's an improvement over K-12. She's no longer rehashing tired ideas from her debut, and nobody can call her out for pushing a weird vaguely-pedophilic agenda in her current work. But on the other hand, she's only gotten worse with lyrics. That 'it factor' that made Cry Baby so interesting back in 2015 has faded more than ever, with no help from this batch of unfinished TikTok hippie songs

12 hours ago, Tana Mongeau said:

eating pure vagina

1 hour ago, FkaIl said:

me when I lie :yawn:

Thematically it's an improvement over K-12. She's no longer rehashing tired ideas from her debut, and nobody can call her out for pushing a weird vaguely-pedophilic agenda in her current work. But on the other hand, she's only gotten worse with lyrics. That 'it factor' that made Cry Baby so interesting back in 2015 has faded more than ever, with no help from this batch of unfinished TikTok hippie songs

kinda spilled in here. I wonder what makes artists sometimes "downgrade" their "it factor" cuz it doesn't make sense to me sometimes

56 minutes ago, LunaeManifestum said:

kinda spilled in here. I wonder what makes artists sometimes "downgrade" their "it factor" cuz it doesn't make sense to me sometimes

Well sometimes labels force artists to make songs that would go viral in order to get more streams, so maybe there's that - which I hate ngl because it sometimes means decrease in quality :scoff:

46 minutes ago, Glitter Boy said:

Well sometimes labels force artists to make songs that would go viral in order to get more streams, so maybe there's that - which I hate ngl because it sometimes means decrease in quality :scoff:

sometimes? :scoff:

I'm so disappointed in the merch for this era. So many people have received defective items, items that don't even match what was advertised, had customer service issues left and right, etc. For example(credit to @melaniessource on IG):

What you ordered:

8fJSEf2_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

What you got:

Tmg2hEb_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

Not even the same shirt, and it honestly looks like it was drawn with Crayola markers by a 3rd grader to begin with. Another example:

FkNVrZO_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

VS. 

lahpwOa_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

The graphic is cut off, and the whole shirt is once again different from the website photo. Who thought this was a good idea? Fire them.

Lastly, some vinyls that hardly deserve to be brought up because we all know they were a mess, but still deserve an honorable mention:

KRMYvrB_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

"Lilac Vinyl" and my personal favorite:

xHTXk1i_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

This limited edition Bloodshot Vinyl(The red smudge is Moon Cycle).

Hoping this stuff gets fixed before tour.

34 minutes ago, ButterflyBones said:

I'm so disappointed in the merch for this era. So many people have received defective items, items that don't even match what was advertised, had customer service issues left and right, etc. For example(credit to @melaniessource on IG):

What you ordered:

8fJSEf2_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

What you got:

Tmg2hEb_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

Not even the same shirt, and it honestly looks like it was drawn with Crayola markers by a 3rd grader to begin with. Another example:

VS. 

lahpwOa_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

The graphic is cut off, and the whole shirt is once again different from the website photo. Who thought this was a good idea? Fire them.

Lastly, some vinyls that hardly deserve to be brought up because we all know they were a mess, but still deserve an honorable mention:

KRMYvrB_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

"Lilac Vinyl" and my personal favorite:

xHTXk1i_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

This limited edition Bloodshot Vinyl(The red smudge is Moon Cycle).

Hoping this stuff gets fixed before tour.

Actually the bloodshot vinyl isnt limited edition. I think it's the standard vinyl pressing

Jesus, that merch is sloppy.

Still no update on any of the items I pre-ordered in early March that should've shipped on 3/31, lol.

Starting to feel like I just need to do a chargeback. So beyond unprofessional that we're going in to mid-May and all I've had is a couple auto-responses of the shop staff bitching about the high volume of orders and a crappy coupon for 15% of another order I'd never receive. :stareney2:

tumblr_mbx23q179u1qaliuoo1_250.gif

I feel the one problem with Melanie that after her debut, she did nothing but degress.

Let's be real - Crybaby was a power move. The playful production, the over-metaphorical lyrics, the haunted doll visuals -  even though the "edgy alt pop" age on Tumblr was already coming to an end by that time, with other prominent icons from the era having already moved on to a different style, Melanie really managed to pinpoint the nerve of this generation. Releasing an overdramatic, visual concept album to a fanbase that cherished Born To Die, Electra Heart, American Horror Story and Alice: Madness Returns was very very smart.

However, even back then I felt like she overplayed it. The idea of getting a video for each track was cool, but in practice it really dragged out the era. Also, a lot of the later clips were mediocre in quality and too "on the nose", even though the concept was not very subtle to begin with.

And then, Album 2 was basically a rehash of a concept that already felt stale and overextended. For someone posing in diapers and baby chairs, sje really took the whole Crybaby thing too far and the narrative (which was already a bit too much on album n.1 imo) felt awkward and weirdly fetishized. Also, the musical aspect was just heavily neglected, it was all about the videos (and the cringworthy "movie") and keeping up the Crybaby act at any cost.

Portals feels like she was desperately trying  to find an alternative concept , so we now have that halfbaked fairy theme that does not really make sense and is 50% Björk ripoff and 50% the vibe of those weird elf-figurines that are sold in  pseudo-spiritual crystal shops. The concept is weak and the music is even weaker - there is no substance to it, no interesting vocals, no nice melodies. Just try hard provocation and a rushed package that already feels pretty dated. 

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

5 hours ago, Thunder Revenant said:

Portals feels like she was desperately trying  to find an alternative concept , so we now have that halfbaked fairy theme that does not really make sense and is 50% Björk ripoff and 50% the vibe of those weird elf-figurines that are sold in  pseudo-spiritual crystal shops. The concept is weak and the music is even weaker - there is no substance to it, no interesting vocals, no nice melodies. Just try hard provocation and a rushed package that already feels pretty dated

I partially agree. Yes the album as a whole seems weak and rushed, but the songs (mostly) are still huge bops imo. We so have her to be.for the rewriting of songs with the same song titles looking for a better version of that song :crossed:

We were (also) robbed of the original death and void :crossed:

15 hours ago, ButterflyBones said:

This design is absolutely gorgeous, I love it a lot. I would consider buying and wearing if it wasn't going to arrive messed up like a lot of her merch seems to be… 

𝕀 𝕔𝕝𝕠𝕤𝕖 𝕞𝕪 𝕖𝕪𝕖𝕤, 𝕒𝕥 𝕟𝕚𝕘𝕙𝕥 𝕀 𝕨𝕚𝕤𝕙 𝕥𝕠 𝕣𝕚𝕤𝕖 𝕗𝕣𝕠𝕞 𝕒𝕝𝕝 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕕𝕦𝕤𝕥