Jack

Melanie Martinez

4 hours ago, The Siren said:

I partially agree. Yes the album as a whole seems weak and rushed, but the songs (mostly) are still huge bops imo. We so have her to be.for the rewriting of songs with the same song titles looking for a better version of that song :crossed:

We were (also) robbed of the original death and void :crossed:

Exactly. Her music is good, her ideas are great. But sometimes it's like she overthinks it at the last minute and scraps anything that stands out too much, leaving things sounding underdone. The unreleased vs. released issue is the perfect example of that: 

You'll get 20 leaks forming a clear narrative with great production even on a demo, that all fit perfectly together without being carbon copies of each other. Then the finished album comes out with none of the best songs on it, almost every song sounding the same and overall feeling so watered down.

After School almost gave us History, Maze, Under the Desk, Function, Absorb, etc. But instead we got Notebook, Brain & Heart, Field Trip, and Glued. Regardless of how any of us feel about those songs, they are nowhere near as good as the unreleased. It goes without saying that Portals suffers from the same problem and would've been infinitely more successful with better mastering and a tracklist involving more of the leaked songs.

It's just interesting to think about how different her career might be if she had chosen different/stronger tracklists throughout her discography.

39 minutes ago, Coloringbooks said:

This design is absolutely gorgeous, I love it a lot. I would consider buying and wearing if it wasn't going to arrive messed up like a lot of her merch seems to be… 

I didn't like the green sleeves :hellno:

13 minutes ago, ButterflyBones said:

Exactly. Her music is good, her ideas are great. But sometimes it's like she overthinks it at the last minute and scraps anything that stands out too much, leaving things sounding underdone. The unreleased vs. released issue is the perfect example of that: 

You'll get 20 leaks forming a clear narrative with great production even on a demo, that all fit perfectly together without being carbon copies of each other. Then the finished album comes out with none of the best songs on it, almost every song sounding the same and overall feeling so watered down.

After School almost gave us History, Maze, Under the Desk, Function, Absorb, etc. But instead we got Notebook, Brain & Heart, Field Trip, and Glued. Regardless of how any of us feel about those songs, they are nowhere near as good as the unreleased. It goes without saying that Portals suffers from the same problem and would've been infinitely more successful with better mastering and a tracklist involving more of the leaked songs.

It's just interesting to think about how different her career might be if she had chosen different/stronger tracklists throughout her discography.

I like to imagine Seesaw in training wheel's place :defeated:

And Ring Pop instead of Alphabet Boy

That makes you more of a little girl than me :P

𝕪𝕠𝕦 𝕒𝕣𝕖 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕡𝕙𝕒𝕟𝕥𝕠𝕞, 𝕗𝕠𝕣𝕖𝕧𝕖𝕣 𝕚𝕟 𝕞𝕪 𝕙𝕖𝕒𝕕