Jack

Melanie Martinez

I dont think there's anything wrong with Melanie's writing. It's perfectly fine. If there's any problem with anything that she does it would be no vocal range on the album and not having bridges. She just opts to say the chorus over twice or three times.

Well, it's a little late thanks to UPS but

F8RJQwK.png

Cry Baby arrived! Totally worth it too. The physical copy is a great item to have in my possesion. It's kinda funny because it doesn't really fit in with my other CD's, stuff like Elliott Smith, Sparklehorse and Black Moth Super Rainbow. I don't even generally listen to this kind of music as I said in an earlier post but this one was just different. Maybe it was the mindset with the cough medicine mixed with a terribly depressed mood when I first heard Melanie (The song Sippy Cup, to be exact) and it switched something in my brain, I don't know..

Anyway, I'm off to play the actual CD!

reyifhdsuighuirhuihiguhaguysdf

yryefghgfg

XRKSTOK.jpg

Play Date is a great song, it so deserved standard edition status. Teddy Bear is creepy af too.

I love the pleading + terrified voice she has towards the end of Tag You're It, where she literally sounds like she's about to have a breakdown.

Soap has such fucking TRUE lyrics. It's a shame about that bubbly noise that continues throughout.

Also, the scream in Pity Party is EVERYTHING. I wish it was longer/louder.

OAjeWdG.jpg?1

I rearranged the tracklist for a more cohesive story if anyone cares

1. Cry Baby

2. Dollhouse

3. Sippy Cup

(The origins of the Cry Baby persona/family problems)

4. Carousel

5. Play Date

6. Alphabet Boy

7. Cake

(Cry Baby's childish outlook leads her into a relationship destined to fail because a sort of mutual immaturity--I love the Play Date metaphor for this first shit relationship even if the Carousel dude isn't necessarily who PD is about. We can pretend)

8. Tag, You're It

9. Milk and Cookies

10. Teddy Bear

(Teddy Bear kinda seems to relate to TYI in a weird way so even if it's a fictional scenario I think the sentiment of this guy coming back to claim her after she cut him loose holds up with the rest of the story--just taken to a Big Bad Wolf extreme. TB also sounds like an ending, looking back on the whole scenario after...poisoning his ass?)

11. Pacify Her

12. Soap

13. Pity Party

(Even without the previous guy, Cry Baby is still flawed and immature--stealing boyfriends and saying the wrong things and still ending up alone in her pity party)

14. Training Wheels

(This song is best later in the tracklist to me bc it sounds like her overcoming her immaturity, taking off the training wheels, because this guy actually means something to her)

15. Mrs. Potato Head

16. Mad Hatter

(After taking off the training wheels, she's able to come to terms with body image and mental health issues. Both of these songs sound like the end of a redemption arc idk. I just think these kinda "character" albums should ultimately end positively, I did something similar with Electra Heart)

What do you think :umadney:

My highlights:

Pacify Her - I love the way she sings "she's getting on my nerves" and maybe I just only listen to like 5 artists but I don't ever really hear songs where the other woman scorns the girlfriend so I thought the perspective was interesting.

Play Date - I go nuts with that pre chorus (even though to me its the same melody as the second verse of AYS by MATD and i frequently sing those lyrics over it) I think the chorus is pretty awful but the rest makes up for it. I don't get why she rhymes a word with itself so many times in this album though.

Alphabet Boy - "fuck your degree" love it

Tag You're It - fucked up but so catchy and I like the wolf parts. So damn weird but so much fun to listen to.

Milk and Cookies was the biggest disappointment to me. It sounded so promising but it had a weak chorus and the urgency to it just came off weird to me.

Not a fan of Mad Hatter. I feel like today in 2015 you can't write about Alice in Wonderland without it coming across as cringey and cliche. Its so overused, as is the "I'm so fucking crazy" thing.

I preordered the picture disc and am SO excited to get it. I went looking for the CD today and Barnes and Nobel didn't have it but said they could get it by the end of the week. I might try Best Buy next but if its not there I'm just going to order it online I think.

Goddesses don't speak in whispers. They scream.

omg LB meetup pt 2 if we find them

also Sippy Cup is still the stupidest track on the entire record. it's maybe the only point where the shtick goes to grating instead of conceptual. I don't even know how to describe why/how much I hate it

I can't find tickets anywhere though  :crai: I knew I should have gotten some a few weeks ago but of course as soon as I really start to like her they are gone.

I feel like the opposite. Sippy Cup, to me, has the least baby imagery and seems like its somewhere on the outskirts of her fantasy land, almost in reality.

Goddesses don't speak in whispers. They scream.

@@SitarHero I need to see the EH :creep:

From Marina thread

Well I personally think the tracklist is all over the place, and the Electra Heart theme is meant to tell a story, so I just kind of put it in story format.

1. Radioactive - slays as an opener

2. Lonely Hearts Club

3. Power & Control

4. Lies

5. Starring Role

I guess here we just kind of see her relationship going to shit. Dear diary, we fell apart.

6. Teen Idle

7. EVOL

8. Just Desserts

9. Sex Yeah

These songs kind of show her motivation to take on this ruthless persona. Now that she's alone and heartbroken, she doesn't want to end up that way again. Reflecting on her wasted youth, wanting revenge on the guy who broke her heart, wanting to embrace a kind of sexy femme fatale persona. Which leads to...

10. How to Be a Heartbreaker

11. Bubblegum Bitch

12. Primadonna

13. Homewrecker

The actual transformation. Beginning with laying out the rules, embracing that sort of beauty queen archetype but steadily losing her morality, as seen in "Homewrecker".

14. Living Dead

15. Electra Heart (added after I first made this post)

16. Valley of the Dolls (with Su-Barbie-A intro)

17. Buy the Stars

Kind of a realization that this isn't a happy existence. Beginning to reflect on that doomed relationship with "Buy the Stars".

18. Hypocrates

19. The State of Dreaming (with Archetypes intro)

20. Fear and Loathing

The end of Electra Heart. Kind of a reassurance. A reflection that leads to the revelation that she doesn't need to live this way. In fear and loathing, etc.

I rearranged the tracklist for a more cohesive story if anyone cares

1. Cry Baby

2. Dollhouse

3. Sippy Cup

(The origins of the Cry Baby persona/family problems)

4. Carousel

5. Play Date

6. Alphabet Boy

7. Cake

(Cry Baby's childish outlook leads her into a relationship destined to fail because a sort of mutual immaturity--I love the Play Date metaphor for this first shit relationship even if the Carousel dude isn't necessarily who PD is about. We can pretend)

8. Tag, You're It

9. Milk and Cookies

10. Teddy Bear

(Teddy Bear kinda seems to relate to TYI in a weird way so even if it's a fictional scenario I think the sentiment of this guy coming back to claim her after she cut him loose holds up with the rest of the story--just taken to a Big Bad Wolf extreme. TB also sounds like an ending, looking back on the whole scenario after...poisoning his ass?)

11. Pacify Her

12. Soap

13. Pity Party

(Even without the previous guy, Cry Baby is still flawed and immature--stealing boyfriends and saying the wrong things and still ending up alone in her pity party)

14. Training Wheels

(This song is best later in the tracklist to me bc it sounds like her overcoming her immaturity, taking off the training wheels, because this guy actually means something to her)

15. Mrs. Potato Head

16. Mad Hatter

(After taking off the training wheels, she's able to come to terms with body image and mental health issues. Both of these songs sound like the end of a redemption arc idk. I just think these kinda "character" albums should ultimately end positively, I did something similar with Electra Heart)

What do you think :umadney:

I agree with all of this except probably Teddy Bear placement. I feel like that fits more towards the origins because it helps Cry Baby become more crazy lol. Her bear is trying to kill her making her kind've a nut.

itunes doesnt even let you put them on your phone.

Drag the PDF from your iTunes onto your desktop. Email the file/text the file to your phone. Then click the file and hold it down and press "Add to iBooks".

idk if that makes sense but thats how i got the UV booklet on my phone!

Demos_copy.png