Jack

Melanie Martinez

Please, don't even mention 'Where Do Babies Come From' until it actually leaks, thank u

"ser bella me dio privilegios, pero ser astuta me dio poder"  :makeup:

Don't mean to bring anymore negativity to this thread but I've been wanting to say this for a while now. My thoughts on this new album keep changing. If I listen to it on it's own I think it's pretty good but compared to the rest of her discography it's just so underwhelming. Her old songs (including unreleased) were written so well. Each song had something special about them that stood out to me in certain ways. The style she's trying to go for now is basic as hell and it makes me even more disappointed that her newer songs aren't going to be as creative as they were during the Cry Baby/Dollhouse era. I still enjoy the new album for what it is but it just doesn't feel right listening to it sometimes. I don't wanna be the one kissing her ass if the quality of her music becomes shit  :pft:

Don't mean to bring anymore negativity to this thread but I've been wanting to say this for a while now. My thoughts on this new album keep changing. If I listen to it on it's own I think it's pretty good but compared to the rest of her discography it's just so underwhelming. Her old songs (including unreleased) were written so well. Each song had something special about them that stood out to me in certain ways. The style she's trying to go for now is basic as hell and it makes me even more disappointed that her newer songs aren't going as creative as they were during the Cry Baby/Dollhouse era. I still enjoy the new album for what it is but it just doesn't feel right listening to it sometimes. I don't wanna be the one kissing her ass if the quality of her music becomes shit  :pft:

I sorta agree. 

Yesterday I admitted to myself that Crybaby at least is far better than K-12, and even my favourites from K-12 aren't in the same league as my least favourites of Crybaby.... The only one that gives me the joy and curiosity that Crybabys songs did is Show & Tell but I'd still rather just replay CB for another 4 years tbh.

And talking about production: Crybabies was just so interesting and unique and fun. K-12s is nice... But that's about it. I listen to CB instrumentals all the time cause it's that brilliant but I have no desire to hear k-12s instrumentals.

Yes, k-12 is more 'mature' but CB was far more outstanding and K-12 seems like a downgrade. I'm interested to hear which parts exactly in k-12 Melanie thinks are her best work yet, because I can't pick any.

Don't mean to bring anymore negativity to this thread but I've been wanting to say this for a while now. My thoughts on this new album keep changing. If I listen to it on it's own I think it's pretty good but compared to the rest of her discography it's just so underwhelming. Her old songs (including unreleased) were written so well. Each song had something special about them that stood out to me in certain ways. The style she's trying to go for now is basic as hell and it makes me even more disappointed that her newer songs aren't going as creative as they were during the Cry Baby/Dollhouse era. I still enjoy the new album for what it is but it just doesn't feel right listening to it sometimes. I don't wanna be the one kissing her ass if the quality of her music becomes shit  :pft:

Agree. "Show & Tell" is maybe the only song on the record that I would argue is near-perfect and could work on Cry Baby if you found a slot for it.

I think the album's struggles are mainly just due in part to how extremely conceptual it is. With Cry Baby, you have to remember that she recorded a decent chunk of the songs (i.e. "Pity Party" and "Cake") without an explicit storyline in mind. And even then, Cry Baby's storyline is relatively loose with a ton of vague characters, brief plots and locations, whereas the concept for K-12 is the first thing Melanie created on the album, and it focuses on events and ideas around 1 isolated building with a consistent cast of characters over a (before the film was written) 13-year span with only 1 song per year.

I'd say the first 3 tracks on K-12 are easily the worst (Wheels On The Bus and Class Fight are nothing but exposition), and other good songs are almost completely ruined by a failure to find a good lyric (the "fucking damn Barbie" line in Lunchbox Friends) or more unnecessary exposition (the whole second verse in Nurse's Office).

The album also suffers from that, while it's a sequel to Cry Baby, the whole metaphor pattern is largely omitted (sans the 3-4 songs about the music industry) and with Cry Baby you can apply most, if not all, of the songs to real life (whereas K-12's relatability only goes in the "oh that happened to me in third grade" way or isnt relatable at all because it's political, specific to her experiences as a famous musician, or just generally can't be related to by anybody like in the case of Wheels On The Bus).

12 hours ago, Tana Mongeau said:

eating pure vagina

I sadly agree with all of you. I appreciate the album because I get what she was trying to convey with this album (and because she's an excellent songwriter imo - though she's overusing swear words in this album - so she could sing about anything and I'd love it) but having to put myself in the same place I was when I was, let's say 14 years old feels kinda weird. Perhaps it's because I was 15 when I heard Cry Baby for the first time and now I'm almost 19 and in my second year of college... I don't think I've grown out of the character but I feel like the evolution should be proportional to all the years she's spent on writing this album lol

I also feel like the specific concept shows how dedicated she is with her art but also holds her back a lot. Show & Tell, Fire Drill, and maybe even Detention and Drama Club are the only songs similar to Cry Baby in the sense that they both use childish metaphores but with adult themes, not just straight up high school songs. I don't think any adult could relate to songs like Nurse's Office or Wheels On the Bus.

What I hate the most is that the album is so visual, like AlexII mentioned, the sole purpose of some songs/verses is to introduce to characters/talk about the general environement of Cry Baby, and sometimes it isn't portrayed well in the film, perhaps because of lack of budget, like every time I hear The Principal I picture so much more than what is shown in the movie and it upsets me... I really hope that next time she invests the money more carefully, like some of the CGI is kinda unnecessary. 

At the end of the movie when the bubble with the school inside bursts into the pink cloud (Crybaby's magic) I think it would have been nicer if it burst into a pink AND blue cloud since the guy was also half of the effort, and then the cloud should have blended to become PURPLE to symbolise a mixture of duality, bringing two sides together, you can do greater things when working together, etc. 

I thought about it some more and I think it's so weird that Wheels On The Bus, Class Fight, The Principal, Show & Tell and Nurse's Office all contextually look to happen in 1 day in the film  :toofunny:

That's a bit much!  :toofunny:

eating pure vagina

But then again I listen to Cry Baby and even though we all loved it it also has very specific songs that most of us don't relate to? like Sippy Cup, Tag, You're It or Milk & Cookies

I relate to more songs on K-12 but I don't like things to be spelled out exactly the way they are. Her Crybaby songs had a much broader range of lyrics and it wasn't so obvious where the songs were going, and I think that's what enchanted us so much. With K-12 it's just like "yeah we get it, been there, whats next?"

she says fuck WAYYY too much. a true turn off... this is coming from a hip hop fan 

Yeah, I think she just cusses as filler when she can't think of a better line at this point. Hoping that it is or was just a phase (bit of a long one tho since it mainly spans Class Fight circa end of 2015, to Piggyback end of 2017) since this wasn't really an issue on Cry Baby (sans the title track and Training Wheels).

The spam of "fucking" and "shit" in Piggyback and then the "fucking damn Barbie" line that I'll never get over in Lunchbox Friends are really indicative of the problem.

eating pure vagina

I'm so grateful to everyone who has watched the movie and listened to the record thank you for supporting my music and my art! I wanted everyone to be able to have a chance to watch the movie for free and I didn't want to just take it down without letting you know. So starting today you all will have exactly one week to watch the movie for free. After that it will only be available for purchase or subscription streamingthank you all for sparking such a deep passion within me to do what I love the most. I hope my art can help inspire you to do what you love as well. Have fun watching K-12 this week! & If you throw any cute movie nights with friends be sure to post em under #AweekOfK12

:toofunny:

eating pure vagina