Jack

Melanie Martinez

50 minutes ago, OverYourHead said:

From her insta: 

“Field Trip is a more personal song about some of the intricacies of who I am as a human. Being an empath, a life path 11 (bridge between the divine and the material) The duality of my Triple Taurus and triple Scorpio placements. The contrast between what my mother was going to name me when I was in the womb ( katarina- pure light) and what she ended up naming me the minute I was born (Melanie - darkness) and also a reminder that whatever imaginary box people put me in I will always find a way out. (Empress Energy)”

yeah i read that and i'm completely lost 

1 hour ago, OverYourHead said:

From her insta: 

“Field Trip is a more personal song about some of the intricacies of who I am as a human. Being an empath, a life path 11 (bridge between the divine and the material) The duality of my Triple Taurus and triple Scorpio placements. The contrast between what my mother was going to name me when I was in the womb ( katarina- pure light) and what she ended up naming me the minute I was born (Melanie - darkness) and also a reminder that whatever imaginary box people put me in I will always find a way out. (Empress Energy)”

Wtf is she talking about...

it's astrology stuff, clearly a song about the duality of light and dark who's inside of her.

also google says this about the life path 11: "Master Number 11 is considered the most intuitive of all numbers, and those with the Life Path Number 11 tend to be very sensitive and intuitive, with a deeper understanding of others and a natural sense of what is going on behind the scenes. For example, they will pick up on people's relationships and health without being told anything, and so they often end up working in the fields where they can use their gifts of intuition, and sensitivity to help others."

come to my house let's die together, friendships that would last forever

4 hours ago, Nightmare said:

it's astrology stuff, clearly a song about the duality of light and dark who's inside of her.

also google says this about the life path 11: "Master Number 11 is considered the most intuitive of all numbers, and those with the Life Path Number 11 tend to be very sensitive and intuitive, with a deeper understanding of others and a natural sense of what is going on behind the scenes. For example, they will pick up on people's relationships and health without being told anything, and so they often end up working in the fields where they can use their gifts of intuition, and sensitivity to help others."

what

how did i not know that

you may think i'm foolin but i was born on a 11/11, at 11pm :toofloppy:

So Brain & Heart + Field Trip. Definitely my favourites. Glued and Numbers are also really good. In fact, they're all good songs but I do forget Notebook. 

I don't blame us for thinking The Bakery was going to be another uninspired track with limited reach, because IT ACTUALLY was about her working at a bakery and wasn't supposed to be some deep metaphor that didn't work out, like almost the entire K-12. I really appreciate her explaining each if them instead of just being like "haha bitches you either get it or you don't xo".

Overall I really like how personal this EP is, and it's exactly what I wanted after K-12 was so questionable for many of us. 

15 hours ago, Nightmare said:

To add to this, the duality of Taurus vs. Scorpio is because those are opposite signs on the astrological wheel.

She has Taurus Sun, Moon and Mercury so all the core of her personality is Taurus (stable, nurturing, she has a lot of dignity and knows her self worth). The centre of her personality, as well as the way she thinks and feels, is all 100% Taurus.

But she has a Scorpio Rising so they way people see her and first perceive her is almost the complete opposite of who she is, and obviously that really gets to her. People may think she's bitter or cold and reserved. She might come off as trying to be untouchable and secretive when she actually wants to share her warmth and love to those who are ready to receive it. 

I have definitely fallen under the Scorpio Rising trap so Field Trip kinda slaps me into awareness of what she's really trying to do and who she really is, away from my expectations of her. 

She actually doesn't have a triple Scorpio placement in real terms (edit: I guess that's why she didn't out the capital T on that one). In astrology, terms like that are usually used for only the major planets. She has Rising in Scorpio, and Pluto in Scorpio, but also north node which isnt considered a major planetery body in your chart. Pluto is the generational planet (pluto in Scorpio is millennials) and North Node is like a 'life path', so she feels her life is directed towards becoming more mystical and spiritual by tapping into her darkness. Again, not major but they're clearly important to her so she must think about her life path and destiny a lot. 

The duality of almost being called Katarina, but finally being called Melanie is symbolic to her because it must feel like she can either be the dark or be the light. And even her mother almost couldn't decide for her, but finally being called Melanie meant that she would be deemed closer to the dark by other people because that is the name people call her. 

The Empress Energy relates to the tarot card "Femininity, beauty, nature, nurturing, abundance" which sounds exactly like Taurus. 

Some more thoughts... I think this EP can tie in with the Crybaby story. 

At the end of K-12 I think her friends went through the portal, deciding to finish their physical life and physical/emotional pain and move on already, but Crybaby decided to stay and finish the full experience of growth from pain. Then I think this EP is her further growth after K-12 while still physically here. 

the EP is actually really spectacular and would argue that its better than K-12. numbers and test me are two of the best songs she's ever written, along with field trip. she's really evolving as an artist. cry baby is really special to me, so idk if she'll top it anytime soon. but, this EP at least shows that she's definitely growing as a writer and is starting to experiment a lot more with her instrumentals. really excited to hear what's in store for album #3.

giphy.gif

12 hours ago, Coney Island King said:

Do people really take astrology this seriously?

do people really have to be bitches about what others do and believe?

come to my house let's die together, friendships that would last forever

On 5/4/2015 at 7:55 AM, Anthem said:

Awesome, update me when you do!

And yep, $15 plus shipping. I was so relieved when I found it because people are charging crazy stuff for it just because it was a RSD item.

Just wanted to thank you for convincing me to buy this. I got it signed in 2015 during the crybaby tour and now they are going for $350+ for used copies. An icon truly 

89550-F07-DF2-F-4739-9-AB0-552-DF4549773.jpg