Jack

Melanie Martinez

1 hour ago, ButterflyBones said:

I'm sorry but this is what happens when you make K-12 

Fans with true taste dropped her after K-12 hahahaha

After School was the last straw :awkney2:

I though she was picking up with those early MM3 leaks but after seeing the final product… I’m not sure 

the ones who said After School is genius were just mentally unstable teenagers with limited intellectual capacity… I mean, you can enjoy some of the songs but u have to admit the topics and lyrics are atrocious 

Her huge victim complex mixed with her enabling fans it’s just an explosive result like… her thinking Spider Web or Moon Cycle being good enough to be in the final album (cause she knows her fans will eat up anything) over Garden, Dragons Blood or N&T

At this point I think she’s aware of how bad those songs are, and she’s trolling us to know how much shit we will put up with! :toofloppy:

I kinda think she might have blown her chance to appeal to the masses with this album. Death did really well and brought a lot of eyes on her work, but I think people are going to be disappointed with the album overall. 

Predictions: 
Death, Void, Tunnel Vision, Faerie Soiree, and Evil will be widely liked.

Moon Cycle, Nymphology, Spider Web, and to some degree The Contortionist will be polarizing and most people will not like them. 

The rest of the tracks are just sort of unremarkable, non offensive (unless you figure out the double meaning of Light Shower).

topsters2-2-1.png

It's a beautiful life, remember that too, for me.

I mean… Light Shower is tired and overused already… many songs have used water as a sexual innuendo before and better:

Madonna: Liquid Love, Holy Water or Rain 

Miley Cyrus: River

Lizzo: Water Me

Kylie Minogue: Mighty Rivers

RAYE: Waterfall

Kary Perry: Tsunami 

LIZ: Laguna Nights

No Doubt: Bathwater

or even other similar elements:

Mirah Carey: Honey

Katy Perry: Hummingbird Heartbeat, Bon Appetit or Milk Milk Lemonade

Slayyyter: Candy

LMFAO: Champagne Showers (feat. Natalia Kills)

Doja Cat: Candy or Cookie Jar

Those to mention a few! I don’t have anything against it, I love sexual references in water related songs but in this case it’s really bad and the song doesn’t live up the expectation! :agree2:

29 minutes ago, Anonymcomenter said:

the ones who said After School is genius were just mentally unstable teenagers with limited intellectual capacity… I mean, you can enjoy some of the songs but u have to admit the topics and lyrics are atrocious 

Her huge victim complex mixed with her enabling stupid brainless fans it’s just an explosive result like… her thinking Spider Web or Moon Cycle being good enough to be in the final album (cause she knows her fans will eat up anything) over Garden, Dragons Blood or N&T

Okay Leonardo Da Vinci, now let us enjoy her discography.

There's literally no need to attack fans for their taste in music, if you don't like her past works don't listen to them. It's really that simple. We don't care what you think about her fans (and that mentally unstable and limited intellectual capacity parts were really uncalled).

http://EB94-F944-4-FE0-4885-9-DE3-3-CC6-C68-A9-

The legacy

10 minutes ago, Anonymcomenter said:

I mean… Light Shower is tired and overused already… many songs have used water as a sexual innuendo before and better:

Madonna: Liquid Love, Holy Water or Rain 

Miley Cyrus: River

Lizzo: Water Me

Kylie Minogue: Mighty Rivers

RAYE: Waterfall

Kary Perry: Tsunami 

LIZ: Laguna Nights

No Doubt: Bathwater

LMFAO (feat. Natalia Kills): Champagne Showers

Those to mention a few! I don’t have anything against it, I love sexual references in water related songs but in this case it’s really and the song doesn’t live up the expectation! :agree2:

Light Shower is already one of three slow songs on the album as well. I think if we weren't also getting Leeches and Womb it wouldn't be aging as quickly. It's length also doesn't help it, and I honestly feel like it would be better as a whole if it didn't go past the 3:00 mark just because it has a tendency to feel so long due to it's pace in a way that songs like Sirens don't. A lot of songs from Portals have weird structures that make them feel almost never-ending, and it's not usually in a good way. With so few having bridges, it can really make what would otherwise be a small thing sound much worse. For example, BOTL has a super short second verse, which on it's own would be fine but alongside having no bridge it feels like over half the song is a repeated chorus run. I am going to give the album one good listen through on release just to give it a final chance, but so far of the new content I've only really found myself going back to 1-2 songs (and streaming the demos for the previously leaked ones) just because the transitions on these tracks makes them much harder to stream casually. 

48 minutes ago, Anonymcomenter said:

Fans with true taste dropped her after K-12 hahahaha

After School was the last straw :awkney2:

I though she was picking up with those early MM3 leaks but after seeing the final product… I’m not sure 

Her huge victim complex mixed with her enabling stupid brainless fans it’s just an explosive result like… her thinking Spider Web or Moon Cycle being good enough to be in the final album (cause she knows her fans will eat up anything) over Garden, Dragons Blood or N&T

At this point I think she’s aware of how bad those songs are, and she’s trolling us to know how much shit we will put up with! :toofloppy:

ma’am this meltdown over a few songs on an album :rip: 

Oof I woke up and the girls are fighting. 

I only have the version on the db*** site, I don’t have anything to leak. If I had it early you girls would get it first. I was just talking about my thoughts on it. 

Banks   Billie Eilish    Evanescence   Florence + the Machine

Grimes   Halsey   Lady Gaga   Lana Del Rey   Lights   Lorde   MARINA   

Melanie Martinez   Poppy   Purity Ring   Sky Ferreira   

35 minutes ago, x VB said:

Okay Leonardo Da Vinci, now let us enjoy her discography.

There's literally no need to attack fans for their taste in music, if you don't like her past works don't listen to them. It's really that simple. We don't care what you think about her fans (and that mentally unstable and limited intellectual capacity parts were really uncalled).

I think it’s pretty clear I’m not referring to ALL her fans… if u feel personally attacked I’m sorry but I stand by it 

Being a fan doesn’t mean to idolize your fave and eat up everything she does. Even Melanie has critiqued this kind of behavior plenty of times

U can tell most of them don’t even care for the music or the quality she puts out (they are only there for the aesthetics). This is very evident in the listening parties where no one would shut up and listen to the actual songs… or when they received the snippet eggs and exploited that for clout 

Being critical of an artist doesn’t mean u hate them, I actually like Melanie and even enjoy some of her “bad” songs… but facts are facts :um2: her career has taken an unexpected turn for me, and since this is an open discussion I’m sorry u don’t care about my opinion… but I will give it anyway… stay pressed or cry me a river :hooker:

1 hour ago, sadness is a butterfly said:

I kinda think she might have blown her chance to appeal to the masses with this album. Death did really well and brought a lot of eyes on her work, but I think people are going to be disappointed with the album overall. 

Predictions: 
Death, Void, Tunnel Vision, Faerie Soiree, and Evil will be widely liked.

Moon Cycle, Nymphology, Spider Web, and to some degree The Contortionist will be polarizing and most people will not like them. 

The rest of the tracks are just sort of unremarkable, non offensive (unless you figure out the double meaning of Light Shower).

idk cause void is slowly getting viral on tiktok without any type of promo, i think the pop-punk leaning tracks will be very popular and the GP will stream the album for them

it's so funny how this forum were trashing k-12 just for portals to end up being way worse :oic2::oic2: k-12 was safe but at least the songs were somehow enjoyable (even the bad ones) but with this one it was a chore to get into most the songs 

26 minutes ago, Salem said:

Light Shower is already one of three slow songs on the album as well. I think if we weren't also getting Leeches and Womb it wouldn't be aging as quickly. It's length also doesn't help it, and I honestly feel like it would be better as a whole if it didn't go past the 3:00 mark just because it has a tendency to feel so long due to it's pace in a way that songs like Sirens don't. A lot of songs from Portals have weird structures that make them feel almost never-ending, and it's not usually in a good way. With so few having bridges, it can really make what would otherwise be a small thing sound much worse. For example, BOTL has a super short second verse, which on its own would be fine but alongside having no bridge it feels like over half the song is a repeated chorus run. I am going to give the album one good listen through on release just to give it a final chance, but so far of the new content I've only really found myself going back to 1-2 songs (and streaming the demos for the previously leaked ones) just because the transitions on these tracks makes them much harder to stream casually. 

This is all really true, I was feeling the same way about how a lot of these songs sound very long, and like you said not in a good way.

On the same note, I wish TV and FS were longer. TV only has two verses and two choruses, and then an inflated run time with two outros. I never cared much for the original outro, though they have improved it some. I would have much preferred another verse and chorus, and one outro. 

topsters2-2-1.png

1 minute ago, champainproblms said:

idk cause void is slowly getting viral on tiktok without any type of promo, i think the pop-punk leaning tracks will be very popular and the GP will stream the album for them

I’ve also seen Evil on a few tiktoks I was surprised! 

topsters2-2-1.png

5 minutes ago, sadness is a butterfly said:

This is all really true, I was feeling the same way about how a lot of these songs sound very long, and like you said not in a good way.

On the same note, I wish TV and FS were longer. TV only has two verses and two choruses, and then an inflated run time with two outros. I never cared much for the original outro, though they have improved it some. I would have much preferred another verse and chorus, and one outro. 

U are so right! I am all for long songs as long as it adds to the final product! I don’t mind the practical sounds as much as others do, but the structure in Evil, Void and BOTL make them a bit boring to me… feels like the chorus over and over again (eventhough I really like Evil) 

I must admit, at least she’s not givin up to the streaming era! Im sooooo sick of these 2 minute songs, and that deserves some credit :true:

BOTL is not completely bad but doesn’t have any business in the album… another more thematically fitting song could have had the spot, but she rather trash her ex :sass: lowkey iconic 

Just now, sadness is a butterfly said:

Yeah that was another thing I picked up on with a lot of the finished album. Songs that would've benefitted from having extra runtime were extended with long transitions to/from the surrounding tracks instead of truly adding new content to the song. In a lot of ways, Portals embodies being an album length version of After School, with a lot of the same problems, but I think the biggest thing that is going to turn off casual listeners is that the album is pretty clearly intended to be listened to in track list order. The transitions being on every song really deter just putting them into a playlist with whatever else you want to listen to, because hearing a minute long transition from Faerie Soiree into a random Britney Spears song or something would feel really goofy. 

1 minute ago, Anonymcomenter said:

U are so right! I am all for long songs as long as it adds to the final product! I don’t mind the practical sounds as much as others do, but the structure in Evil, Void and BOTL make them a bit boring to me… feels like the chorus over and over again 

I must admit, at least she’s not givin up to the streaming era! Im sooooo sick of these 2 minute songs, and that deserves some credit :true:

Yeah, I'm definitely glad she's making longer tracks but I seriously hope going forward she begins making them longer by adding more verses or bridges instead of more chorus runs. 

15 minutes ago, dyktatuob said:

it's so funny how this forum were trashing k-12 just for portals to end up being way worse :oic2::oic2: k-12 was safe but at least the songs were somehow enjoyable (even the bad ones) but with this one it was a chore to get into most the songs 

Im afraid this might be happening… 

im gonna wait to listen to the album in full HD but so far half of the songs are a skip… 

no problem, I will be replacing them with the leaks! I’m just sad the general public won’t be enjoying Garden. Her talent will stay unnoticed