BLURRYFACE

Billie Eilish

I really like this album, it turned out much more coherent than I expected it to be. It's really chill and there are some nice melodic moments. NIt does not have as much "OOMPH"  as Where Do We Go, but I feel like it will age much better.

The first 6 tracks flow extremely good, however I think the second half of the album is a bit bumpy. Having Everybody Dies and Your Power back to back just to drop NDA/ Therefore I Am afterwards feels like a missed chance to mix things up.

Male Fantasy is nice but it feels a bit like a bonus track. It's weaker than the other ballads and the title song would have been a much better closer IMO

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

Not My Responsibility is the only skip. Nice idea though but way too long. 

Cosy atmosphere summer album. 

Excited to get her mv for HTE in some hours. 

The fact that the only tolerable song I’ve ever heard from her (Happier Than Ever) is essentially an imitation of Don’t Forget by Demi Lovato says A LOT

"It's 2011, and we should all be aware of exactly how fast technology is developing" - Lana Del Rey

I’m listening to it from cover to cover and here are my final thoughts: between good and very good album, that would have benefited a bit of editing. For example: Not My Responsibility; it’s an important message (simply put but straightforward) but too simply produced as a track, with the same beats on the next song that works better but with a weaker message. Like why not have combined the two? My future should have been scrapped for the title track : pretty much the same message but it works so much better on the title track (by the way, I dont know who is the fucker that hurt her, but she had a lot to say about him lol). Like I said before, Billie’s strongest suit is when she adds beats to her songs: she doesn’t have the vocal range to carry on very long songs with minimal production. I love when she added kitschy / vintage prod elements to songs (Hayley’s Comet, Didn’t Change my Number and Billie’s Bossa Nova), and even the title track channels early Avril Lavigne, and Oxytocin seems inspired by 2000 pop. Some texts reveal she is still young (not her fault, but Getting Older is not a song I will relate to lol). 
so, a good sophomore album, though not as phenomenal as some said it is (and no, it’s not a concept album lol).

I listened album few times already and it's a really great album. At first time i was like: "I like it, but it misses some fire, fierciness". But at second time I liked that minimalism, that tracks aren't overproduced. I loved vintage & retro influences too.

Title track is the best thing she did, she snatch me with that transition. Oxytocin is THAT bitch, what a bop. It should be single cause I see destroying clubs with that song. Bossa Nova, OverHeated, GOLDWING, my future, Male Fantasy are also in top tracks. Hayley's Comet, Everyone Dies and Number are great too. Your Power totally grew during listening album and i don't even expect that. Getting Older, Lost Cause and NDA are cute but not fascinating as rest tracks. NMR is skip. Bille made great sophomore album. It's really cozy, sweet and Billie is braver and stronger.

1 hour ago, Sportscruiser said:

Billie Bossa Nova is the best moment of her career. Even better than Bitches Broken Hearts. I’m speechless.

Will share my thoughts later.

I’m willing to die on this Billie Bossa Nova hill. Makes me wonder if I could ever handle Lana doing bossa nova without gay-collapsing.

With that said, some of her best songs ever are in this album. I Didn’t Change My Number, Oxytocin, Overheated... even the title track which even though doesn’t exactly tingle my senses due to the genre, it’s still a huge statement.

The album is a bit bloated. I would have removed My Future, Therefore I Am and a couple more and bet on a more cohesive tracklist order. Thematically it doesn’t make sense to go from something like I Didn’t Change My Number to Billie Bossa Nova to My Future... it’s a confusing back and forth in terms of themes and this album would have benefited from a stronger pulse on thematic cohesion.

All in all, there are incredible moments here and some production choices that no one else in the game would even dare to experiment. As personal and touching of a subject Your Power is to her heart, choosing it as the lead single was not a wise marketing move. Had she come up with something more bombastic (Oxytocin maybe?) as the inauguration of the era, it would have made more of an impact in the pop culture landscape. It’s great that she’s breaking records in terms of pre album sales but I believe that’s a testament to her huge and loyal fandom more so than anything else.

IMG-7960.jpg

I don't like Responsibility.

I mean - the message is good and everything, but I'm so over this "whispering lines heavy with meaning over an instrumental". That concept is SO worn out at this point and the only effect it has on me is cringe.

Plus, as much as I like Billie Bossa Nova I can't with all these Billie stans brabbling about "Billie doing bossa nova", when the only BN-song they ever heard is the elevator-music version of "The Girl From Ipanema" :rip: This is as bad as Lana fans talking about how she' a trip hop artist because she used some beats on BtD

13 minutes ago, Thunder Corpse said:

I don't like Responsibility.

I mean - the message is good and everything, but I'm so over this "whispering lines heavy with meaning over an instrumental". That concept is SO worn out at this point and the only effect it has on me is cringe.

Plus, as much as I like Billie Bossa Nova I can't with all these Billie stans brabbling about "Billie doing bossa nova", when the only BN-song they ever heard is the elevator-music version of "The Girl From Ipanema" :rip: This is as bad as Lana fans talking about how she' a trip hop artist because she used some beats on BtD

LOL well Lana did explore trip-hop in more than just BTD. It permeates through a lot of Ultraviolence (hence the Portishead callbacks and comparisons!) and she even returned to explore some shades of that sub genre with Dark But Just a Game.

Also, that Girl From Ipanema comment is so unnecessarily condescending and salty... 

IMG-7960.jpg

2 hours ago, Sportscruiser said:

LOL well Lana did explore trip-hop in more than just BTD. It permeates through a lot of Ultraviolence (hence the Portishead callbacks and comparisons!) and she even returned to explore some shades of that sub genre with Dark But Just a Game.

Also, that Girl From Ipanema comment is so unnecessarily condescending and salty... 

trip hop on ultraviolence and dark is just a game...literally where?

anyways i was pretty disappointed in the singles except my future, your power, and nda so should i bother listening? at this point i've learned to get past her whisperings

I didn’t like the singles much on their own, but listening to all of them as a collective album of songs sounds so much better and makes so much more sense. 

I really enjoyed the album on first listen. Might stop at Target and pick up a copy to show my support. That’s rare for me. I usually only do that for Lana’s and Britney’s albums. Everyone has been rooting for her downfall this era and she came out and blew away my expectations for the album, so I’m rooting for her. :wub:

It’s not about having someone to love me anymore

This is the experience of being an American whore

With the exception of the title track because that’s incredible, this album proves Billie needs to start working with producers outside of Finneas, the rest of the songs on the album just sound like another Billie song w the same layered whisper vocals with almost formulaic melodies over a bass heavy instrumental 

4 hours ago, Sportscruiser said:

QED

pov: oxytocin comes on

tenor.gif

Absolutely loving this album! Her vocals on some tracks are heavenly. Also I disagree with some saying she’s still doing the same with whispering and heavy beats. It’s a huge departure from where she was with WDWGWWFA. She still likes to use vocal effects etc, but they add to the vibes and don’t make any track feel overwhelming with the production. Most of the time, when she does use heavy beats & whispering, it’s just before a tonal shift and it’s always such a blast
My favorites are Getting Older, I Didn‘t Change My Number, Billie Bossa Nova, Goldwing, Everybody Dies

and super favorites: Oxytocin , Halley‘s Comet, OverHeated, Happier Than Ever

The singles fit do well in the context of the album, but still can‘t live up to the rest of the album. Except for my future it has basically no skips :oprah:

DYJRPfi.gif c5dd836305cb85b3253fce96ae00741c547fd6fd.gif SH8DzJM.gif
???????, ??? ??? ?? ?? ???? ?????

I like the album a lot overall! Lots of strong songs and the production is great throughout. I'm not a huge fan of her singing style and wish she would use her voice more but it is what it is and it mostly works. The second half of the title track is the best part of the album. Ending with Male Fantasy was the biggest misstep in my opinion. It's a nice song but nothing about it has closing track energy. I get her not wanting to end on an angry note but a softer song should still have more of an impact if it's going to end the album.