SissyReed

Pop Culture in Lana's Songs

In breaking my heart Lana mentions Jean Paul Gaultier and Versace.

i'll add everything from "breaking my heart" tomorrow, thanks!

THANK YOU SO MUCH <3 i can already see that this post has so many references i have forgotten about, i'm gonna add them later :)

nsaalk.jpg

Also, The Man I Love is actually fan-made! It's just a fan-made song from a Tumblr user with Trash Magic and TM's demo :)

OH MY GOD, REALLY?! I HAD NO IDEA! IT USED TO BE MY FAVE LONG TIME AGO... thanks for the info, but idk should i delete it from the list?

nsaalk.jpg

OH MY GOD, REALLY?! I HAD NO IDEA! IT USED TO BE MY FAVE LONG TIME AGO... thanks for the info, but idk should i delete it from the list?

I think you should delete it and just put it in Trash Magic and Trash Magic (Demo). and yeah, not too many people know that. it's one of her best edits! 

http://lanaboards.com/index.php?/topic/117-trash-magic-the-man-i-love-demo/

I think you should delete it and just put it in Trash Magic and Trash Magic (Demo). and yeah, not too many people know that. it's one of her best edits! 

http://lanaboards.com/index.php?/topic/117-trash-magic-the-man-i-love-demo/

done! i put Trash Magic instead of The Man I Love :) thanks for the info :*

nsaalk.jpg

Bel Air - Bob Dylan's Knockin' on Heaven's Door ("So I run like I'm mad to heaven's door")

Cruel World - Snoop Dogg and Wiz Khalifa's Young, Wild and Free ("Because you're young, you're wild, you're free")

Body Electric - Snoop Dogg's Drop It Like It's Hot ("Drop it like it's hot in the pale moonlight") and Grand Ole Opry ("Grand Ole Opry")

Go Go Dancer - Snoop Dogg's Drop It Like It's Hot ("I drop it like it's hot, on the pole, on the pole")

Ultraviolence - It could be a reference to Joni Mitchell's Woodstock or just a reference to the festival. ("We could go back to Woodstock").

Swan Song - The Art of Non-Fiction by Ayn Rand talks a little about "The White Tennis Shoes Syndrome" ("Put your white tennis shoes and follow me")

"Years ago I read an article in The New Yorker by a writer who described what she does in the morning before writing. What she describes is universal. When she sits down she knows she does not want to write. Here is what her subconscious does to 'save' her from that difficulty. She thinks of everything she has to do. She continues in this way until she runs out of excuses and has to start writing. But suddenly she remembers that last summer (it is now winter) she never cleaned her white tennis shoes. So she cleans them. That is why I refer to this syndrome as the 'white tennis shoes'. " 

^So relatable  :icant:

32c003478b7ec35a4b8ae368a22ebabc5be17593

Bel Air - Bob Dylan's Knockin' on Heaven's Door ("So I run like I'm mad to heaven's door")

Cruel World - Snoop Dogg and Wiz Khalifa's Young, Wild and Free ("Because you're young, you're wild, you're free")

Body Electric - Snoop Dogg's Drop It Like It's Hot ("Drop it like it's hot in the pale moonlight") and Grand Ole Opry ("Grand Ole Opry")

Go Go Dancer - Snoop Dogg's Drop It Like It's Hot ("I drop it like it's hot, on the pole, on the pole")

Ultraviolence - It could be a reference to Joni Mitchell's Woodstock or just a reference to the festival. ("We could go back to Woodstock").

Swan Song - The Art of Non-Fiction by Ayn Rand talks a little about "The White Tennis Shoes Syndrome" ("Put your white tennis shoes and follow me")

^So relatable  :icant:

thank you, i'll add everything tomorrow! but isn't "young, wild and free" just a phrase often used? lana uses it in almost every song and i'm pretty sure it existed before snoop dogg lol but i may be wrong :P

nsaalk.jpg

thank you, i'll add everything tomorrow! but isn't "young, wild and free" just a phrase often used? lana uses it in almost every song and i'm pretty sure it existed before snoop dogg lol but i may be wrong :P

I thought it could be, but I don't know.  :lel:

32c003478b7ec35a4b8ae368a22ebabc5be17593

Yeah I'm sure, other people have pointed it out as well. It also makes a lot more sense that she'd write about this guy than Greg Kinnear

11EWEOj.jpg

well now when i see his pic, it makes more sense to me as well, thanks! :D

nsaalk.jpg

"I was so wrong not to tell, Medellín, tangerine dreams" in Salvatore might be a reference to Pablo Escobar and his drug cartel.

"Suddenly, I viddied what I had to do, and that was to do myself in; to snuff it, to blast off forever out of this wicked, cruel world. One moment of pain perhaps and, then, sleep forever, and ever and ever." - Burgess, A Clockwork Orange

Considering the name of the album is UV, it might be possible that she chose the title "Cruel World" for the opening song since the novel itself deals with a "cruel world".

"I was so wrong not to tell, Medellín, tangerine dreams" in Salvatore might be a reference to Pablo Escobar and his drug cartel.

"Suddenly, I viddied what I had to do, and that was to do myself in; to snuff it, to blast off forever out of this wicked, cruel world. One moment of pain perhaps and, then, sleep forever, and ever and ever." - Burgess, A Clockwork Orange

Considering the name of the album is UV, it might be possible that she chose the title "Cruel World" for the opening song since the novel itself deals with a "cruel world".

THANK YOU <3 i'll add it in a while

nsaalk.jpg

UPDATED - "Love", "Best American Record" and "Butterflies part 2" reference I missed.

the list's gonna be updated after LDR5 premiere, I hope you'll help me with the references like the last time :kiss: :kiss: :kiss:

nsaalk.jpg

I love all the references in Live or Die:

"Baby, you’re my Bugsy Malone and I’m your suicide blonde" - a gangster movie

"You can be my Tony Montana and I can be your Pfeiffer" - from Scarface20f9a4913ba413a6a701b50f4177c162-29205.j

"Are we gonna be Bonnie and Clyde?"

"Baby, you’re Sylvester Stallone and I can be your Adrian" - from the "Rocky" films, the two are a couple.

"You can be my Tommy Mottola and I can be Mariah " - the two were married in the 90s and Tommy is a very succesful music executive who "made" Mariah Careyarticle-2257968-16C742B5000005DC-572_634

giphy.gif

I love all the references in Live or Die:

"Baby, you’re my Bugsy Malone and I’m your suicide blonde" - a gangster movie

"You can be my Tony Montana and I can be your Pfeiffer" - from Scarface20f9a4913ba413a6a701b50f4177c162-29205.j

"Are we gonna be Bonnie and Clyde?"

"Baby, you’re Sylvester Stallone and I can be your Adrian" - from the "Rocky" films, the two are a couple.

"You can be my Tommy Mottola and I can be Mariah " - the two were married in the 90s and Tommy is a very succesful music executive who "made" Mariah Careyarticle-2257968-16C742B5000005DC-572_634

Darling, all those references are on the list already but thank you :kiss:

Lana's song name 'Gods and Monsters' was named after a band that musician Jeff Buckley used to be in.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Buckley (Skip to tributes section where Lana is mentioned).

Thank you I'm gonna add it later! 

nsaalk.jpg