Sign in to follow this  
graham4anything

Leonard Cohen has passed away.

anyone who has read any of my posts over the years, knows how much I am crying.

So Long Marianne © Leonard Cohen  (note-  his muse and girlfriend in the 1960s, Marianne Ihlen died a few weeks ago. At the time a cryptic note he wrote that he it won't be too long before he would be joining her)

here are the lyrics to his song "So Long Marianne"

Come over to the window, my little darling
I'd like to try to read your palm
I used to think I was some kind of Gypsy boy
Before I let you take me home

Now so long, Marianne, it's time that we began
To laugh and cry and cry and laugh about it all again

Well you know that I love to live with you
But you make me forget so very much
I forget to pray for the angels
And then the angels forget to pray for us

We met when we were almost young
Deep in the green lilac park
You held on to me like I was a crucifix
As we went kneeling through the dark

Oh so long, Marianne, it's time that we began

Your letters they all say that you're beside me now
Then why do I feel alone?
I'm standing on a ledge and your fine spider web
Is fastening my ankle to a stone

For now I need your hidden love
I'm cold as a new razor blade
You left when I told you I was curious
I never said that I was brave

Oh, you are really such a pretty one
I see you've gone and changed your name again
And just when I climbed this whole mountainside
To wash my eyelids in the rain

Songwriters: LEONARD COHEN
© Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC

Lana sang Leonard's Chelsea Hotel

Lana is our modern day Edith Piaf. Totally unique. a mixture of Brian WIlson Roy Orbison, Leonard Cohen, Gram Parsons, Elton & Bernie. Born to Die/Paradise is comparable to Elton's Captain Fantastic. All the records need to be listened whole. Waiting for a box set vinyl of all 400 songs not on any lp

re:Chelsea Hotel #2-It's a true song about him and Janis Joplin, one afternoon/night at the Chelsea Hotel West 23rd street, NYC(Manhattan), sex included

(and there are other verses/versions he himself wrote

Believe Lana first sang the song at a concert in Canada, where Cohen was from.

Lana is our modern day Edith Piaf. Totally unique. a mixture of Brian WIlson Roy Orbison, Leonard Cohen, Gram Parsons, Elton & Bernie. Born to Die/Paradise is comparable to Elton's Captain Fantastic. All the records need to be listened whole. Waiting for a box set vinyl of all 400 songs not on any lp

Everybody knows that the dice are loaded
Everybody rolls with their fingers crossed
Everybody knows that the war is over
Everybody knows the good guys lost
Everybody knows the fight was fixed
The poor stay poor, the rich get rich
That's how it goes
Everybody knows
Everybody knows that the boat is leaking
Everybody knows that the captain lied
Everybody got this broken feeling
Like their father or their dog just died

Everybody talking to their pockets
Everybody wants a box of chocolates
And a long stem rose
Everybody knows

4d05b88473027157c69dadf2c058161f.jpg

It truly breaks my heart to hear that Leonard Cohen has passed away. Leonard has always been such an influential artist for me as a poet; he and his music were my solace, my confidants, and two of the most prized treasures I have come upon in my lifetime.

I am left emotional and beside myself.

Leonard's humility, compassion, and candor in his work have truly touched me during my experience with the human condition, and in times of emotional distress, certainly made it bearable; I really wish that I had the opportunity to meet him personally, to tell him how much it meant to me to have that.

Thank you, Leonard. For the music. For you. For everything. You will never be forgotten.

Lana on Leonard Cohen & Chelsea Hotel (transcribed from a video I took of her in concert on May 28, 2015):

"I really love doing covers and I love Leonard Cohen.. and I love the story behind how he came to write this song about Janis Joplin, because I think it just embodies how a song comes to you. He just said it was for no particular reason at a random time after she had died and he found himself in a bar.. and um, you know, he just started writing on one of the napkins and he was just thinking about how there were a few people around that he had met who, um, didn't have a 5-year plan and were just kind of on the road and trying things out.. and.. I really related to that." *takes drag off of cigarette*  :smokes4:

This is the video she pulled the story from: 

49093006537_7ae76bb4ce_o.jpg

• 4.18.14 • 5.1.14 • 9.20.14 • 5.28.15 • 6.14.15 • 7.28.16 • 7.24.17 • 10.23.17 • 10.24.17 • 1.25.18 • 2.5.18 • 12.5.18 • 10.3.19 • 10.11.19 • 11.16.19 •

SF • ATL • ATL • IND • ATL • CHI • LDN • NYC • NYC • DC • ATL • NYC • PDX • SAN • KS

sisters of mercy <3

what a fucking legend of a poet. he will be missed.

Wait whaaaaat!?!? Fuck. I've just started getting into his music too. Fuck me.

well he has a big catalog. 

I had to skip school to day because I spend the whole day crying. I guess it's kind of strange to be so deeply affected by the death of someone that I've never really met, but I've literally been listening to Leonards music since the day I was born. When I was 1 year old my parents hung a swing in one of the door frames in our apartment so they could play 10 New Songs while I was playing (lmao) and my first ever concert was Leonard Cohen at Nice Jazz Festival. His music has been the soundtrack to literally every single moment of my life, good and bad. I remember The Future playing while I was sitting in the back of the car on my family roadtrip across europe and i remember crying my eyes out to If It Be Your Will and Take This Longing when the boy I was in love with didn't love me back. Now that Leonard's gone it feels almost like losing a friend. 

I AM MY ONLY GOD

I had to skip school to day because I spend the whole day crying. I guess it's kind of strange to be so deeply affected by the death of someone that I've never really met, but I've literally been listening to Leonards music since the day I was born. When I was 1 year old my parents hung a swing in one of the door frames in our apartment so they could play 10 New Songs while I was playing (lmao) and my first ever concert was Leonard Cohen at Nice Jazz Festival. His music has been the soundtrack to literally every single moment of my life, good and bad. I remember The Future playing while I was sitting in the back of the car on my family roadtrip across europe and i remember crying my eyes out to If It Be Your Will and Take This Longing when the boy I was in love with didn't love me back. Now that Leonard's gone it feels almost like losing a friend. 

it's not strange at all! almost all of my idols are dead, i can totally understand you... i'm sending all my love and hope you'll get better soon :kiss:

nsaalk.jpg