Carmen

Twitter Updates

36 minutes ago, ChaoticLipster said:

Lana didn’t have a tough upbringing become she was poor. Her Dad was super rich and still is. She got sent to boarding school and CHOOSE to not use daddy’s money and make it on her own, living in trailer park, waitressing and paying her own debts!  So even though she IS from a wealthy background she worked her way up in an organic way. So she deserves CREDIT.  

Someone that knew her from 5 Points Records said on reddit that she didn’t actually live in the trailer park, she used to go there for inspiration, she actually lived with her boyfriends. But yeah, I believe she struggled with different things and music helped with that.

46 minutes ago, ChaoticLipster said:

Lana didn’t have a tough upbringing become she was poor. Her Dad was super rich and still is. She got sent to boarding school and CHOOSE to not use daddy’s money and make it on her own, living in trailer park, waitressing and paying her own debts!  So even though she IS from a wealthy background she worked her way up in an organic way. So she deserves CREDIT.  

That's what I believe. 

14 minutes ago, Be Free said:

Someone that knew her from 5 Points Records said on reddit that she didn’t actually live in the trailer park, she used to go there for inspiration, she actually lived with her boyfriends. But yeah, I believe she struggled with different things and music helped with that.

She has said several times she’s actually lived on a trailer park. So it would be strange to lie even though she is a compulsive liar, but she has likely stated with a lot of boyfriends in between. 

Arches are Illusions solid at first glance

1 hour ago, Anthony said:

They seem to be trying to recognise what is actually behind so much of bullshit outrage on the internet.

It’s a weird predicament to be in as a music journalist. Lana’s indictment of online clickbait journalism is justified and salient. I’m sure I’m not alone when I say that pandering to the click economy leaves one feeling desolate and rotten. Morally I don’t know how sustainable this model we’re all forced to operate under is, economically I feel like it’s the only way to not sink. It’s another pitfall of the inescapable trenches of capitalism.

My admiration and adoration for Lana remain unshaken. I love her for her chaotic feminity, her refusal to play the media-trained game, the way she has something to say and isn’t afraid to say it — despite the guarantee that it will likely cause a media circus. I truly believe that she is one of our greatest, most singular artists and I hope she never stops being glamorous.

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png

4 hours ago, AngelHeadedHipster said:

Remember how Paris Hilton said she suffered a lot of abuse at her boarding school. She made a documentary about it too. Rich kids are sent to these type of schools to rectify their behavioural issues. But some schools have been abusing these kids in horrifying ways upon which Paris Hilton has now started to shed light as she doesn't want anyone to undergo what she has gone through. 

Reveal hidden contents

I get the feeling even Lana has undergone the same at her boarding school. Regarding her grudge against her mother. I think she only forced her to go to the boarding school like Paris Hilton's mother. Paris Hilton was sent as she was starting to act out and was a rebellious teen. The upper class society are supposed to behave all prim and proper. Paris Hilton's family had even threatened to disown her. That is why Paris created this "dumb blonde" persona and built an empire around it, so she wouldn't ever have to depend on her family's wealth in the event they actually disowned her. This is what Lana has tried to convey about her difficult upbringing. Money is not everything. The physical and emotional traumas she must have suffered can never be healed and no amount of money in the world can bring peace to a soul that has been traumatized beyond belief. This is why Lana created her own separate world of Art in which she lives so as to escape the demons of her real life. 
See James Franco comment about her : 

Reveal hidden contents

Lana lives in her art, and when she comes down to earth for interviews, it gets messy, because she isn’t made for this earth. She is made to live in the world she creates. She is one who has been so disappointed by life, she had to create her own world. Just let her live in it.

Do not judge a person based on external wealth alone. Because you never know the price they had to pay to be worthy of that wealth. 

I don't doubt for a second that she had problems and traumas growing up and I never will. Saying someone needs to be at least aware of their privilege isn't that same as saying they had an absolutely perfect life. She would have my complete respect if she responded to criticism like "Yes i did have a very lucky upbringing but i struggled with mental illness my entire life" or "Yes i did come from wealth but I chose to be independant for my music career". But she won't. And she never will, because she seems incapable of grasping that despite whatever internal struggles she had she was extremely lucky and a lot better off than millions of Americans.  When you say "growing up I had nothing" the common sense interpretation is that means something like you didn't even have food on the table, not that you were a child of capitalist venturers raised with a private school education but also had emotional problems. And that's her tone-deafness. 

She's hellbent on proving to everyone that shes the supreme victim of the circumstance.

I need to stop stressing about lana tbh but i just needed to get that out

157852e4da9ff5b7ec834e7a2eac795d.gif

1 hour ago, sexyslutboy said:

I don't doubt for a second that she had problems and traumas growing up and I never will. Saying someone needs to be at least aware of their privilege isn't that same as saying they had an absolutely perfect life. She would have my complete respect if she responded to criticism like "Yes i did have a very lucky upbringing but i struggled with mental illness my entire life" or "Yes i did come from wealth but I chose to be independant for my music career". But she won't. And she never will, because she seems incapable of grasping that despite whatever internal struggles she had she was extremely lucky and a lot better off than millions of Americans.  When you say "growing up I had nothing" the common sense interpretation is that means something like you didn't even have food on the table, not that you were a child of capitalist venturers raised with a private school education but also had emotional problems. And that's her tone-deafness. 

She's hellbent on proving to everyone that shes the supreme victim of the circumstance.

I need to stop stressing about lana tbh but i just needed to get that out

Do you really think Lana will go around blowing her trumpet saying she comes from a super wealthy family? She will never say that and she doesn't need to. It's none of anybody's business. It's an irrelevant argument that critics have thrown at her since the beginning of her career. It's not her wealth that created an artist out of her. No amount of money on earth can bestow talent upon anyone. It's God's gift really. You've either got it or you don't. Her traumas and struggles growing up in an unloved place made her devote all her life force upon the gift of music in order to cope with the unbearable loneliness and sadness she had growing up in a boarding school without the love and support of her family and friends. When she was alone and didn't have anyone to rely on, she turned inward and explored the gift of music. In those dark times she relied on God and nobody else. She has proven her worth to the world this entire decade and people are still stuck on the "But she came from *Old Money* argument". The fact that she's still in the industry itself is a miracle. Anyone else would have retreated and become a recluse after nonstop criticisms and dissection of her artistry. Lana still doesn't get the respect she deserves. She has literally changed the face of the music industry. We get an Artist like her very rarely. People need to be grateful before it's too late. She could retire tomorrow if she wanted. Lana doesn't owe the world anything yet she's sharing her gift with the world and healing countless number of souls with her Angelic voice because that's her inner calling. 

28 minutes ago, AngelHeadedHipster said:

Do you really think Lana will go around blowing her trumpet saying she comes from a super wealthy family? 

Uh well  A logical person getting the accusation of coming from money is either gonna admit to it (but also explain that it's irrelevant to their art and doesn't negate their hard work) OR just not talk about it at all. Because you're right that she doesn't need to.  But lana CHOOSES to address it and  is dishonest about it

157852e4da9ff5b7ec834e7a2eac795d.gif

7 hours ago, longtimeman said:

They seem to be trying to recognise what is actually behind so much of bullshit outrage on the internet.

They seem to "denounce" that they are paid to work in exactly that way - So that's how things will always be done. And they praised Lana for clashing with the media for that. It sounded like an apology.

43 minutes ago, sexyslutboy said:

Uh well  A logical person getting the accusation of coming from money is either gonna admit to it (but also explain that it's irrelevant to their art and doesn't negate their hard work) OR just not talk about it at all. Because you're right that she doesn't need to.  But lana CHOOSES to address it and  is dishonest about it

Well maybe she was cut off from her inheritance for a certain amount of time due to her wild child behavior during her teenage years. Maybe she had to do odd jobs and survive on her own. Who knows? There are certain aspects of her life that she can never openly reveal even if she wants to as it would have terrible consequences on her loved ones. In order to protect her family name she can only reveal things in a vague manner. 

Well... there's this :rip:

On 11/6/2016 at 9:24 PM, Be Free said:

I found that Lana used to rent a room without  any windows and she slept on a mattress on the floor (2010)

This BBC interview drama is a mirror of her interview in The Guardian in 2014 and her subsequent Twitter break down about it. I think the interviewers response in 2014 is still applicable in 2021:

"Ultimately, the problem with Lana's complaint is that she doesn't seem to know what she's actually complaining about. She's not alleging that I made up her quotes, nor is she claiming that they've been “twisted” or that we've printed them out of context. Instead she seems annoyed by the fact I wanted her to say interesting things and asked questions that caused her to do so. Well sorry, Lana, but that's just me doing my job." 

I thought this was new with her (as I certainly didn't read The Guardian/go on Twitter in 2014), but I guess it's just part of being a hardcore fan haha. 

0-D9-B4-BAE-A7-F2-4-FF4-93-FB-F863-B500-

find someone who looks at you the way Lana looks at Taylor Swift

5 hours ago, Anthony said:

Omg good for them, great response. I am glad they acknowledged the moral issues related to clickbait and the unfortunate pitfalls of capitalism, and praised her for calling the media out. The cherry on top was them calling her one of our greatest most singular artists. :illumilana2:

18 hours ago, Nobody said:

Can you shut the fuck up about her mother when you don't even know what happened 

You shut the fuck up. Put me on ignore if you don't like what I say. I said what I said so tough shit.

11 hours ago, sexyslutboy said:

Especially - when people who went to school with her back in her Lake Placid years.... share memories on social media and share photos.... Dishonest is putting it lightly. There's history of rich people that pretend to be poor or that mommy is a evil person. By all accounts from those people sharing their memories, Lana and her family was well off and she had a good mother.:smokes:

Anyway, moving on.

22 hours ago, Anthony said:

I like that they reacted to Lana's tweets and not in a snappy or ridiculing way. Pretty annoyed by Complex for simply ignoring all of that. Like, say something!!

20230718-113117.gif

Honey, you make me feel I'm invincible

I’ve been digesting all the controversy surrounding Lana the last couple days. But I will say this. The one thing that shocked me the most with Lana ‘s arguments is that she implied that « inclusivity » is not an issue she needs to work on. That is a very tone deaf thing to say, especially in 2021 when conversations on racial equality are finally wide open on the table. I think that just tells us everything we need to know about her ignorance.

When it comes to her defending her upbringing, I don’t mind her defending a possibly difficult childhood. I mean I don’t know her personally so I can’t comment on that. But that’s beside the point and doesn’t cancel the comments she made on her Instagram. 

Also I’ve noticed her « I have black friends » comment on Instagram has now been deleted. I wonder if she realised it was terribly worded out of her team did and asked her to remove it?

Luckily the album doesn’t come out till mid March so I’m just hoping she’ll learn during that time and come forward with a statement clarifying her intentions whilst also acknowledging she fucked up and was insensitive.

10 minutes ago, Whitemustang said:

I’ve been digesting all the controversy surrounding Lana the last couple days. But I will say this. The one thing that shocked me the most with Lana ‘s arguments is that she implied that « inclusivity » is not an issue she needs to work on. That is a very tone deaf thing to say, especially in 2021 when conversations on racial equality are finally wide open on the table. I think that just tells us everything we need to know about her ignorance.

When it comes to her defending her upbringing, I don’t mind her defending a possibly difficult childhood. I mean I don’t know her personally so I can’t comment on that. But that’s beside the point and doesn’t cancel the comments she made on her Instagram. 

Also I’ve noticed her « I have black friends » comment on Instagram has now been deleted. I wonder if she realised it was terribly worded out of her team did and asked her to remove it?

Luckily the album doesn’t come out till mid March so I’m just hoping she’ll learn during that time and come forward with a statement clarifying her intentions whilst also acknowledging she fucked up and was insensitive.

I wasn’t going to reply but I saw that you posted the same stuff on two threads.

I can see where you coming from but the “inclusivity” part you talked about I don’t quite agree with. Personally, I think she meant that she considers herself pretty inclusive and that she doesn’t need to work that on herself (which I’d say the same bc that’s not something I need to work on myself), of course she agrees that is something still so wrong in this world and that it needs to be talked about and fought for.

Also, I’m guessing she deleted the comment bc she herself realized that most of the parts were not worded right, and not bc someone from her team told her to. We’ve already seen that she speaks her mind freely through her social media w/o recurring to a PR team.

ezgif-com-crop-1.gif

23 minutes ago, Yosemite said:

I wasn’t going to reply but I saw that you posted the same stuff on two threads.

I can see where you coming from but the “inclusivity” part you talked about I don’t quite agree with. Personally, I think she meant that she considers herself pretty inclusive and that she doesn’t need to work that on herself (which I’d say the same bc that’s not something I need to work on myself), of course she agrees that is something still so wrong in this world and that it needs to be talked about and fought for.

Also, I’m guessing she deleted the comment bc she herself realized that most of the parts were not worded right, and not bc someone from her team told her to. We’ve already seen that she speaks her mind freely through her social media w/o recurring to a PR team.

What does it mean to be inclusive to you ? I just wonder because to me it links to issues of race and racial justice and I could never personally say that there’s no work for me to do on it. Like Lana claims, a lot of my friends are black. Some of them are Muslim but that’s not a good enough reason to say I don’t need to work on my inclusivity. The whole western society was brought up on the idea that whiteness is the default and everyone has biases they need to work on. By claiming defensively that she doesn’t need to work on her inclusivity, I feel like she’s failing to recognise that it’s everybody ‘s job (society as a whole) to do so. That doesn’t mean she’s racist or means badly. But just that she’s not recognising she is also indirectly part of the wider problem. All white people are to some extent.

49093006537_7ae76bb4ce_o.jpg

• 4.18.14 • 5.1.14 • 9.20.14 • 5.28.15 • 6.14.15 • 7.28.16 • 7.24.17 • 10.23.17 • 10.24.17 • 1.25.18 • 2.5.18 • 12.5.18 • 10.3.19 • 10.11.19 • 11.16.19 •

SF • ATL • ATL • IND • ATL • CHI • LDN • NYC • NYC • DC • ATL • NYC • PDX • SAN • KS