luckyonewithoutyou

Best American Record

i love the lyrics so much, remind me of is this happiness :defeated:
lana said once that she's always singing about "that one person" idk if that person changed since that time but i feel like all her lyrics are about two or three different men of her life that influenced her the most and that's amazing
i wonder what these men feel when they hear her songs...

nsaalk.jpg

Could it be that producer that was like the love of her life, but never produced a record of hers?

I remember her mentioning some man who was on-and-off with her and he was like the biggest influence on her life

it would make sense. Maybe he didnt think she was good enough for him to produce, cause he wanted someone who was a legend, but now lana is famous and is gonna be a legend without him.

BAR could be the title of the new album too, to catch his eye and make him listen to it and realise how over it really is and how much hes missing out on. (not to mention the song is actually about him and is gonna DESTROY)

EDIT!!: 

K nevermind, apparently that was Steven Mertens. his name aint Bill. could be a code name tho?

I was thinking about this too! But everyone else seems to think it's simply about Barrie, although he wasn't that famous at the end of the day, not to mention he didn't have thousands of girls crushing on him and his quick, guitarish fingers lel

butterflies-gif-2.giflana-dancing-smaller.gif

IMO She's talking to herself, in her Lizzy Grant era when she was trying really hard to succeed (by all the 'pop' unreleased songs') but she ended up flopping with her A.K.A like all the effort she did was for nothing.

And the 'Bill' thing... well she admitted she sleeped with lots of guys to be famous... Maybe she lost her virginity for fame and when things didn't work like she planned she regrets everything?...

this is just a theory don't get triggered at me pls

???, ?????????

I think nobody has said anything about this probably because it's not supposed to be a single thus they won't release it.

Anyways I love the whole lizzy/acoustic vibe, i just hope it's a demo and it will be a little bit more clear.

Also finally we're getting dem good lyrics :deadbanana: it's not a poetic masterpiece but I love the song as a whole, also lyrically

giphy.gif

Possibly of interest

Barrie said: “The excitement of being in the studio soon wore off for me after the first day. The guy that ran the studio, Kingsley, has kind of been institutionalised in that place.

“He has been there since it opened. He told us relentless stories about drug busts in the Sixties. He told us about Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath and Queen when they were all there.

“He would come in the studio and start a story that would last for an hour and a half.”

He added: “After drumming from 10 in the morning until late at night, soundchecking the drums, my hands were in bits. I did all my best drumming at the soundcheck because it was relentless.

“We were trying to get a big John Bonham-style sound from the kit.

“People were coming in and tweaking and swapping microphones and pedals every five seconds. My hands were gushing with blood.

“I had to hit the drums hard because of the nature of the song we were doing, called Get By. It took forever to get that song recorded.”

Despite the setbacks, the band needn’t have worried about their sessions and Barrie achieved the sound he wanted to emulate, that of Led Zeppelin drummer Bonham.

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png

I have some thoughts:

1. I can see this song relating to "You should never come between a woman and her dream" from Afraid. She had to take the decision of pursue her career and fame or stay with him. Now she's dragging herself because things didn't happen the way she thought it would, the way she imagined in "Hollywood" for example. Maybe she feels like she made the wrong decision.

2. It could be her dragging herself because she was so obsessed with her dream that she didn't value what she had at the time. She regrets now because fame doesn't feel that wonderful as she thought it was.

32c003478b7ec35a4b8ae368a22ebabc5be17593

I listened to it once this morning and now it's the evening and I'm listening to it religiously in full for the second time ever and it crushes me down how beautiful it is, I'm extremely happy it's 6mins long because apart from the chorus that's still a bit of the low point of the song, it's I N S A N E L Y beautiful. The part where she says "I told you" at the end oh my god I broke down irl. So fckn beautiful. I absolutely love the first line. At first I didn't but now I prefer to Love and by far. The Cat Power vibes I'm getting from it omg I don't know if I'm blinded by my stanning of Chan and ignorant but holy shit it sounds like a psalm for me, this prechorus is some of the best things Lana has done, UV worthy, yeah I said it!

EDIT: OMG I WAS PLAYING IT AND MY SISTER CAME FROM BEHIND AND STARTED SINGING SALVATORE AFTER THE AHAHAHA AROUND 4:40... This song is a perfect mix of AKA, May, HM and UV with BTD beats

ZKcaooE.png

I giggled when I first heard it lol. It kind of matches being "90s in his frame of mind" bc I think people used the word "heck" more in the 90s

Also I asked this in the LDR5 pre-release thread, but wtf is architecture supposed to mean?? Why is she a house

Probably a meatphor for sex  :creep:

tumblr_o2bsk3y0kh1so86p6o1_400.giftumblr_o2bsk3y0kh1so86p6o2_400.gif

I feel like she's singing about the concept of the American Dream and how she (or her man) became so infatuated with it and tried to achieve her goal but eventually it never happened like she wanted it to

tumblr_mgg7niY79H1qggpkco1_500.gif

So I have two interpretations for this song

Version 1:

In the verses and the bridge, she remembers the past thinking of the man she had. She was happy with him and values him, which comes clear in the bridge: All of her feelings, all her actions are controlled by her love to him.

In the chorus, since she changes pronouns from "he" to "you" - she is talking to herself, almost like she sees herself in a mirror and talks to her reflection.

Lana feels sad and regrets she puts so much work into tryin to create the best record ever, which eventually ended in her relationship failing because she neglected her boyfriend.

Version 2:

My other theory is that this song is about her relationship with Barrie (well, or any other boyfriend she had who tried to become a singer). He was a singer trying to be succesful, but he was always overshadowed by Lana - hence the "dancing underneath my architecture" line, which could possibly refer to Lana's career - it is towering over the one from Barrie.

Barrie did no longer want to stand in Lana's shadow and spent his entire time working, composing and writing, trying to create the best album ever. Here, the bridge could possibly show that he is the root of the problem - everything is leading back to him. Barrie neglected Lana, eventually causing her to break up with him. 

image.png

I think that Barrie should get out of any theory about who the song is about, because even though he does play guitar Barrie isn't named Bill, Lana has had more musician boyfriends than Barrie and I'm pretty sure most of them have tried to be famous, she had one that she looks out for in magazines, one that is a rockstar. Jimmy, Mertens, Reeve (and others?), they have all recorded songs haven't they? and aren't they all neglectful lovers in all of Lana's songs? Barry isn't the one that applies for the junky, dope, depressed boyfriend tbh :teehee: and he doens't apply to be ladiesman either, he's not that cute, this song could be about one of her other boyfriends. 

And Lana could, of course, be mixing different lovers and icons like she's done in past songs so keep that in mind, as someone said before.

Omg they are trying to recreate When The Levee Breaks drum? This is going to be epiqué

That interview is from 2012 lol

Also, if all the roads lead to him, all she do is for him, isn't this the guy she talked about all her songs are inspired by? The one love she would forever honour? If so, that guys is prior to Barrie by far.

tumblr_mthwqtumEQ1r7oj7fo1_250.giftumblr_mthwqtumEQ1r7oj7fo2_250.giftumblr_mthwqtumEQ1r7oj7fo4_250.gif

It seems like no matter what other men she writes about, all her title tracks are about the same magnetic man--who she was engaged to (Honeymoon), whose sect she was involved with (Ultraviolence), who did it all for fame (BAR, lots of other songs). Despite treading old territory, I like this continuity.

Not to mention any record of Barrie's would not be American :deadbanana:

Btw it might be about her struggle to write UV as she said she had lacked inspiration so she might have started to write about her relationship with Barrie just to have a record (and to mantain her fame & reputation)

tumblr_o2bsk3y0kh1so86p6o1_400.giftumblr_o2bsk3y0kh1so86p6o2_400.gif

It seems like no matter what other men she writes about, all her title tracks are about the same magnetic man--who she was engaged to (Honeymoon), whose sect she was involved with (Ultraviolence), who did it all for fame (BAR, lots of other songs). Despite treading old territory, I like this continuity.Not to mention any record of Barrie's would not be American :deadbanana:

Exactly LMAO. Barrie's records wouldn't be American

But the self theory is interesting. But I don't really think it would make sense since she seems to be happy in her life. And she's vv successful

I was thinking about this too! But everyone else seems to think it's simply about Barrie, although he wasn't that famous at the end of the day, not to mention he didn't have thousands of girls crushing on him and his quick, guitarish fingers lel

I'm gonna have a hard time believing it's Barrie

Her wrote HER songs and they're beautiful :'(